PDA

View Full Version : Pricey Pronto

Plum Hill
11-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Just went for $2,850.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Serotta-Pronto-Titanium-Road-Bike-Frameset-54cm/293323591676?hash=item444b72cffc:g:6r4AAOSwtgNdyFC f&autorefresh=true

Hilltopperny
11-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Just went for $2,850.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Serotta-Pronto-Titanium-Road-Bike-Frameset-54cm/293323591676?hash=item444b72cffc:g:6r4AAOSwtgNdyFC f&autorefresh=true

That’s crazy! For some reason Piermont gets a lot more than the average seller when they have a popular item...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happycampyer
11-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Hmmm, I thought I’d never sell mine, but that’s a lot of Tootsie-Rolls...

pdmtong
11-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Weren’t there only ~25 made? How many have any of us here seen for sale?

$2850 - that’s a lot for “used” ti but if you want it it’s not completely outrageous.

What do people think would be “fair”? Subtract that from the $2850 and seems to me a small premium for a generally uncontainable frameset. If you bid fair you wouldn’t win. So you need to bid including a premium

Hilltopperny
11-17-2019, 05:31 PM
Weren’t there only ~25 made? How many have any of us here seen for sale?

$2850 - that’s a lot for “used” ti but if you want it it’s not completely outrageous.

What do people think would be “fair”? Subtract that from the $2850 and seems to me a small premium for a generally uncontainable frameset. If you hid fair you wouldn’t win. So you need to bid including a premium

I facilitated Scott Hocks pronto complete with Dura ace Di2 in the same paint scheme with an S5 fork. It was sold for around $150 more than this frame set sold for. It is the highest selling titanium frame set that I believe I have seen sold in the past couple of years.

I realize these are very rare bikes and it is a popular size but I would have thought this would have sold for about $1,000 less than it ended up getting.

AngryScientist
11-17-2019, 05:31 PM
interesting.

the list of folks who have even heard of Serotta are getting older and older, and the list of people who have any real idea of what the Pronto was all about has to be quite limited for sure.

it would definitely not surprise me if the buyer was a member of this forum.

it's pretty rare frame for sure, and if you have to have one, if it comes up in your size you have to put all the chips in the middle i guess, the odds of another coming up anytime ever are slim.

i hope the new owner enjoys the hell out of it!

fiamme red
11-17-2019, 05:35 PM
I don't get it. From the description, I infer that it has been on eBay for a few years, first listed when the Serotta company was still in existence. Why does it sell now for so much?

When asked to describe the all new Pronto Ti race bike in a few words, Serotta says, “Kick ***.” Which is great news for fans of the legendary brand which had a scare just over a year ago when rumors began swirling of Ben Serotta putting the operation up for sale. It turns out that Ben was looking for a company like Bradway Capitol to help out with the business side of things while Ben focused on what he does best – kick *** bikes. In May of last year after it was announced that Serotta was not going anywhere, Ben said there was a long list of projects that were in the works, one of which appears to have been the all new Pronto Ti Race Bike. The Pronto SG joins the list of Standard Geometry Ti bikes, but with race geometry for a “no-holds-barred” race bike.[Edited to add:] Never mind, I see that the seller just copied and pasted from a 2013 Bikerumor article: https://bikerumor.com/2013/06/14/serotta-crafts-new-titanium-race-bike-pronto/.

huck*this
11-17-2019, 06:43 PM
I think Duffy was after this one. Wondering if he was the lucky guy...

duff_duffy
11-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately it’s not headed my way. I had a bid ready to go at 2250 with a few seconds to go and it jumped up before I could even submit my bid. I thought it would go for low 2000’s but not all that surprised at final price. The good news is I can keep my current Serotta and have money on hold for the elusive 54-56cm engraved Cyrene:banana:

I think Duffy was after this one. Wondering if he was the lucky guy...

denapista
11-19-2019, 12:33 PM
$2850 isn't much compared to any other Ti builder out there... Order a FF with any option and you're looking at $5000....

The Pronto is extremely rare too..

Hilltopperny
11-19-2019, 01:57 PM
$2850 isn't much compared to any other Ti builder out there... Order a FF with any option and you're looking at $5000....

The Pronto is extremely rare too..

Maybe if it were NOS I could understand the price and clearly it was worth it to somebody. I know there are like 25 of these bikes. Looks like there are more around this size though as I have seen a few in circulation over the years.

I have about the same amount into my entire No22 Great Divide with Campagnolo group and hand built Belgium+ to t-11 hubs. Welded by the same guy and arguably a newer version of these bikes with some improvements.

Definitely not knocking this frameset as the one I saw in person was stunning and just a larger version of this. I am sure whoever spent the $$$ will enjoy it!

Anybody know what these retailed at?

herb5998
11-19-2019, 02:19 PM
Retail for a Pronto was 3200USD when new, IIRC

Hilltopperny
11-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Retail for a Pronto was 3200USD when new, IIRC

That’s what I thought. This one did quite well On the resale market! You own or owned a 54cm pronto iirc right?

herb5998
11-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Yep, had a 54 as well, with custom paint so it was a little more at retail

54ny77
11-19-2019, 11:12 PM
Someone on the forum has/had a baby blue Pronto that's a stunner.

oliver1850
11-19-2019, 11:21 PM
I saw the listing a day or so before it sold, was a bit surprised at what the bidding had reached. Glad to see some appreciation in the marketplace for it.

cinema
11-19-2019, 11:47 PM
I couldn't believe it when I saw it crossed 2k, I figured the seller was inflating his bids and we'll know soon enough if it gets resisted. if not, pretty amazing for a second hand frame.

fiamme red
11-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Retail for a Pronto was 3200USD when new, IIRCBut that included "Peace of Mind" protection: a lifetime warranty against defect in manufacture, and a Crash Protection Program. However, I doubt that the buyer is going to race this frame.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/new-products/2013/06/11/serotta-launches-new-ti-road-racing-frame#.XdVfcehKi70

“First, we are confident that the Pronto will withstand the rigors of high-intensity racing better than most carbon frames," said Serotta’s founder, Ben Serotta. "Titanium is corrosive proof and impact and abrasion resistant. Secondly, there’s magic in the ride that they’re not going to find in any bike of any material that’s priced similarly.”

Nooch
11-20-2019, 10:07 AM
But that included "Peace of Mind" protection: a lifetime warranty against defect in manufacture, and a Crash Protection Program. However, I doubt that the buyer is going to race this frame.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/new-products/2013/06/11/serotta-launches-new-ti-road-racing-frame#.XdVfcehKi70

Peace of mind... The word was out that the factory was being shuttered up while mine was on the loading dock. No peace of mind there, LOL

xeladragon
11-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Not surprised it sold for over $2k although $2850 is more than I would've expected. I sold my 54 Pronto in the "Cool Runnings" paint scheme a few years ago for $2200ish? Since then, AFAIK, herb5998's blue Pronto has been the only other 54 for sale.

So limited production + limited availability + high praise from current/previous owners + popular size + desirable paint scheme (more attractive to a larger buyer base compared to my "Cool Runnings" version) = high sale price.

Is the Pronto the new Moots Compact SL in terms of holding onto its resale value the best?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If the Pronto fit a larger tire than 700x25, I'd probably still have it. I'm just a fat tire snob now.

https://live.staticflickr.com/635/21002371562_f4f2b7b0dd_h.jpg