PDA

View Full Version : Leg exercises in weight room that are knee safe

LegendRider
11-17-2019, 12:25 PM
I've started a winter weight lifting program and I'm looking for "knee safe" leg exercises. Currently I'm doing goblet squats with only 35 lbs and I'm not having any pain during or after. However, the leg press machine - even without heavy weights - sends a bad signal. It feels like there is too much pressure around my knee caps.

Any thoughts?

Dekonick
11-17-2019, 12:39 PM
1) don't fully extend

2) don't bend beyond 90 degrees (squats, leg press, etc...)

3) slow is the key; muscle builds faster than connective tissue. It takes time for your tendons and ligaments to catch up. It isn't a race - let the testosterone kids do their thing. They won't have knees, shoulders, or backs when they are 50. I know. I used to be young and dumb and do leg press with over 900 lbs... all the sled would hold. I ended up with a hernia as a result.

Don't be like me.

XXtwindad
11-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Yeah. Avoid the leg extension machine (and most machines) at all costs. It puts way too much strain on your tendons and ligaments when in a fully extended position. I'd opt for more body weight exercises, specifically one-legged stuff, such as toe touches.

dsimon
11-17-2019, 01:43 PM
I have a complete ACL tear and when I do squats I like using this
https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/instant-muscle-landmine-squat

I feel safe and if I need to lean in I can.

mass_biker
11-17-2019, 02:00 PM
I am a skinny weakling (~145lbs) so have been lifting year-round for the last 25+ years. I find that lifting makes a meaningful difference for me.

I do one workout a week that is low weight/high rep.
I do one workout a week that is high weight/low rep.

So 2x/week in and out of season.

Agree with the recommendation of de-emphasizing the machines. The only one I do is the leg extension, and only 1 leg at a time/limited range to avoid the issues that others have mentioned.

My go-to exercises

- Squat rack - use this for squats as well as calf preses
- Sled - 1-legged as well for calf press
- Leg extension - 1 legged

The good thing about "lifting as a cyclist" is that you can recover between those leg-deadening lift sets with other good-for-biking exercises (tricep pulls, seated rows, bicep curls).

Dekonick
11-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Keep it fun too. Lifting is like cycling. If you really focus on just doing everything to perfection etc you will take the fun away. It really can be enjoyable. Leg day was always my favorite.

Hellgate
11-17-2019, 04:57 PM
I enjoy traditional weight lifting, however, I really like plyometrics. With plyos I like the combination of speed, quicknes, power and endurance.

I've had four knee surgeries and was a runner thru college. I've had about every knee issue there is and I've found plyos to be exteme effective at building power and mass, yet not cause knee issues.

Visit a physical therapist and get some feedback on your issues and a training approach.

rkhatibi
11-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Make sure your form is good for leg presses. This article covers it well in my amateur opinion. https://seannal.com/articles/training/leg-press-form.php

If the above adjustments don't work, this article covers some imbalance/mobility exercises that might help. https://www.self.com/gallery/lower-body-exercises-people-with-knee-pain

Most trainers ime will start with the exercises in the second article to assess you before moving on to loaded movements. That's the way I started.

XXtwindad
11-17-2019, 05:50 PM
I enjoy traditional weight lifting, however, I really like plyometrics. With plyos I like the combination of speed, quicknes, power and endurance.

I've had four knee surgeries and was a runner thru college. I've had about every knee issue there is and I've found plyos to be exteme effective at building power and mass, yet not cause knee issues.

Visit a physical therapist and get some feedback on your issues and a training approach.

I'd actually be wary of plyo exercises with pre-existing knees injuries.

slowpoke
11-17-2019, 05:58 PM

[...]

I know you mean well, but I would not recommend plyos as the first thing for anyone who's concerned about their knees. You're spot on with going to a PT, though.

Goblet squats are definitely a good leg workout while also giving you a chance to get deeper into squats. Most folks with office jobs, especially later on in life, will lack the flexibility to squat properly due to tight ankles or hip abductors. Work on your flexibility by doing Joe Defranco's Agile 11 (https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine/) prior to squatting.

Hellgate
11-17-2019, 06:14 PM
I know you mean well, but I would not recommend plyos as the first thing for anyone who's concerned about their knees. You're spot on with going to a PT, though.

Goblet squats are definitely a good leg workout while also giving you a chance to get deeper into squats. Most folks with office jobs, especially later on in life, will lack the flexibility to squat properly due to tight ankles or hip abductors. Work on your flexibility by doing Joe Defranco's Agile 11 (https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine/) prior to squatting.Well of course, with any gym program one needs to build into it. Once a base is establish then one can hammer, just like cycling.

And in actuality the beautiful of plyos is reps control the level of effort. For example, start with 3 to 4 repetitions, and see what the effect is then slowly build. It's really the same as weight lifting, one has to work into it, bit by bit.

Peter P.
11-17-2019, 08:11 PM
I do Rear Lunges (https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBRearLunge) once a week, except I do all reps with one leg, then the other.

I also do Dumbbell Step Downs (https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBStepDown), one leg at a time as well.

I perform plyometrics once a week, jumping up to and off of an 18" stepstool.

On alternate weeks, I perform plyometric split squats. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0F3haIz25c)

benb
11-17-2019, 08:11 PM
I'd agree with avoid any machine like the plague. Stick with the squats, and don't even use one of the squat racks that forces the bar to travel along a track.

I have mostly just been doing squats with dumbbells the last few years.. very hard to go heavy with dumbbells though.

I have an OK squat rack at home, but never a spot, and my squat rack isn't that safe. I haven't been in a commercial gym that had a "real" quality squat rack that was safe in a long time, they always have the "tracked" racks that either hurt your back or your knees, usually they just get used by guys doing curls. :rolleyes: But I just realized they actually have a really nice setup at the rock climbing gym... their equipment is from Rogue and is incredibly nice. So I may get some good squatting in this winter.

I have mostly just had tendonitis in my patella + cartilage damage on the back of the patella.. 99% of the time from cycling, but I can generally feel pressure on a leg press.. it is not a natural movement path, and it's not great for your back either. Haven't done a leg extension in a very very long time. I think even 25 years ago nearly everyone was already saying they were dangerous unless you were talking 5lbs in a PT situation.

rowebr
11-17-2019, 08:16 PM
Yeah. Avoid the leg extension machine (and most machines) at all costs. It puts way too much strain on your tendons and ligaments when in a fully extended position. I'd opt for more body weight exercises, specifically one-legged stuff, such as toe touches.

+1. Start slow! Such as with air squats. Do them with proper form, it will help to strengthen the back and ab muscles you need to hold the right form for squatting with weights.

benb
11-17-2019, 08:31 PM
+1. Start slow! Such as with air squats. Do them with proper form, it will help to strengthen the back and ab muscles you need to hold the right form for squatting with weights.

+1 Billionty... I am not Mr. Muscle but did get some strength coaching long before picking up cycling.

You don't see that many people in the gym with good squat form. It's very noticeable if you've ever had a coach. It makes a HUGE difference.

Also another one.. air squats on a bosu board (upside down) or on some form of wobble board. Good stability training for us cyclists who spend all our time locked into the pedals neglecting our stabilizers. You can step up to doing it with dumbbells once you're good at it. I got turned onto this in PT for a knee injury about 10 years ago. 10 years of cycling had made me horrible at this kind of stuff. My knees are way healthier cycling now than they were before I started training this stuff. From 33-42 I have had vastly fewer knee issues than I did from 23-31.

Dekonick
11-17-2019, 09:17 PM
+1 Billionty... I am not Mr. Muscle but did get some strength coaching long before picking up cycling.

You don't see that many people in the gym with good squat form. It's very noticeable if you've ever had a coach. It makes a HUGE difference.

Also another one.. air squats on a bosu board (upside down) or on some form of wobble board. Good stability training for us cyclists who spend all our time locked into the pedals neglecting our stabilizers. You can step up to doing it with dumbbells once you're good at it. I got turned onto this in PT for a knee injury about 10 years ago. 10 years of cycling had made me horrible at this kind of stuff. My knees are way healthier cycling now than they were before I started training this stuff. From 33-42 I have had vastly fewer knee issues than I did from 23-31.

You can use a broom handle to assist with one leg squats on a bosu board. Martial arts are another excellent way to build leg strength.

HenryA
11-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Interesting.

I used to start with leg extensions to tighten up my knees before progressing to leg presses. Lots of really easy extensions as part of the warm up just made my knees feel ready for more. But I have never had any knee problems.

BigDaddySmooth
11-18-2019, 08:34 AM
The problem with machines is you have to adjust to the machine's range of motion. Plus, you can put undue stress on your low back. The leg extension machine is terrible, don't use it if you like your knees. Goblet and front squats are a great exercise but don't forget about your hamstrings. Do Romanian deadlifts and add some deadlifts and you'll be good to go. Start low and go slow.

mastaliu
11-18-2019, 08:50 AM
Closed kinetic chain exercises.

If you are concerned about knees, then a lot of the gym work and machines are problematic. I'm not saying they can't work, but they can hurt you. Leg extension machines, as pointed out, are terrible, ask any PT.

Also, the closed chain exercises can deal with specific muscle groups and areas more than machines. I fixed most of my long term knee issues by targeting my hips with a series of closed chain exercises from my PT.

jzinckgra
11-18-2019, 10:24 AM
1) don't fully extend

2) don't bend beyond 90 degrees (squats, leg press, etc...)

3) slow is the key; muscle builds faster than connective tissue. It takes time for your tendons and ligaments to catch up. It isn't a race - let the testosterone kids do their thing. They won't have knees, shoulders, or backs when they are 50. I know. I used to be young and dumb and do leg press with over 900 lbs... all the sled would hold. I ended up with a hernia as a result.

Don't be like me.
I've had two so far, most recent this past summer. Hernias are so annoying.

Dave
11-18-2019, 11:30 AM
I did all sorts of heavy weight leg exercises on my Weider home gym, for about 20 years. I put the full weight stack on and did leg presses with only 1 leg doing the work.

I got two new knees in 2017.