PDA

View Full Version : Latest helmets for long oval heads?

echelon_john
11-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Hi all,
Looking to replace my helmet. I have a large head—7-3/4 hat size, but the shape is the tough part. Very long/skinny oval. (The only skinny part of my body...)

Currently riding an older Lazer that came in an XL and has just enough room back to front without being too swimmy side to side.

Anyone have a recommendation based on firsthand experience?

Not picky about MIPS etc.

Thanks,
John

Gummee
11-17-2019, 11:55 AM
Arai

Oh wait! Wrong kind of bike. Sorry

M

GScot
11-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Lazer may still be in play. I have the same problem and have a Z1 that works but it is just long enough. Current Helmet is a Bontrager Specter, one with the wavy insert instead of MIPS. It has bit of room on the sides but a well done retention harness keeps it in place and comfortable.

echelon_john
11-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Ha. Arai XD is pretty perfect.

Arai

Oh wait! Wrong kind of bike. Sorry

M

dem
11-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Smith Overtake (Arai Signet in motorcycle helmets :)

MagicHour
11-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Giro Syntax maybe? (https://www.competitivecyclist.com/giro-syntax-mips-helmet) see first review. was just browsing helmets the other day seeing if there are any BF deals yet, and saw this one.

ultraman6970
11-17-2019, 03:05 PM
If the op's head is oval like an egg, then the smith wont wont work IMO, besides unless they did a drastic change in their sizing and shape, probably the helmets wont fit him, or will fit him tight.

For him I would vote Kask and probably MET. I have MET (had kask before) but had to tweak it a lot to get it right because my head is asian. But after the tweak the helmet had been perfect.

dem
11-17-2019, 03:34 PM
If the op's head is oval like an egg, then the smith wont wont work IMO, besides unless they did a drastic change in their sizing and shape, probably the helmets wont fit him, or will fit him tight.

For him I would vote Kask and probably MET. I have MET (had kask before) but had to tweak it a lot to get it right because my head is asian. But after the tweak the helmet had been perfect.

Not egg shaped.. narrow and long. Where you can shove both hands flat up the sides of the helmet when it is big enough front-to-back.

The Arai Signet is one of the narrowest/longest motorcycle helmets, and the Overtake works for me - worth a shot.

Kask was definitely a no-go for me, I don't recall trying MET.

ultraman6970
11-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Then try smith. those are narrow.

scoobydrew
11-17-2019, 03:41 PM
+1 on Lazer. Try the new Genesis helmet or the tried and true Z1.

I have a round head and popular helmets like the Kask Protone or Giro Synthe work well for me. I had a Lazer Z1 MIPS but had to get rid of it since it created pinch points on the side of my head.

fmradio516
11-17-2019, 04:17 PM
I have an upside down egg head and the Kask Mojito is the only helmet ill wear...

rePhil
11-17-2019, 04:53 PM
I like the Mojito, but the problem for me is getting sunglasses that fit.

I have an upside down egg head and the Kask Mojito is the only helmet ill wear...

fmradio516
11-17-2019, 05:04 PM
I like the Mojito, but the problem for me is getting sunglasses that fit.

I agree. Its effing annoying. But... fashion over function..

bart998
11-17-2019, 06:10 PM
My Kask Valegro fits my big, oval head very well...

Peter P.
11-17-2019, 08:13 PM
Specialized's head form is specifically more oval that Giro or Bell.

Wayne77
11-17-2019, 10:57 PM
I have the same type of head. The Kask Protone is perfect for me. The problem with this head shape is most size L helmets look really mushroomy with that spare width. Sometime I feel like my head is a size M I’m width and size L front to back. The Protone is the only helmet I’ve found that fits me like a glove and has a nice compact look to it. I also like the LG Course helmet a lot. It has a very compact look to it as well though it does have a little more space on the sides

Rpoole8537
11-18-2019, 01:05 PM
I have the same shape and size. I used to stick with Specialized, but last helmet was Giro and it fits very well. I forget the model, about $150 I think.