PDA

View Full Version : Bike locks that don’t freeze

happycampyer
11-16-2019, 08:36 PM
A friend’s daughter who lives in Chicago has a bike lock (not sure of brand) that froze in the recent cold weather. Had never heard of that happening. For those of you who live in colder climes (thinking Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.), what bike locks do you use that function in super-cold temps?

charliedid
11-16-2019, 08:46 PM
A friend’s daughter who lives in Chicago has a bike lock (not sure of brand) that froze in the recent cold weather. Had never heard of that happening. For those of you who live in colder climes (thinking Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.), what bike locks do you use that function in super-cold temps?

I live in Chicago

Dry lube is your friend for bike locks in cold temps. A de-icer can unfreeze but this week will thaw anyway.

Ken Robb
11-16-2019, 09:33 PM
I spent my first 22 years in Chicago and saw quite a few automobile door locks thawed by keys heated by matches or cig. lighters.

Schredder
11-16-2019, 09:54 PM
I live in Nebraska and have used with great success lithium grease in a spray to keep my ulock from freezing.

Veloo
11-16-2019, 11:41 PM
I’ve had a yellow Kryptonite New York lock for many years. Never had it freeze on me.
Don’t recall ever having it out in wet freezing conditions but I’ve used it in dry conditions as low as -20 degrees Celsius.

happycampyer
11-17-2019, 06:39 AM
Incredibly helpful as always—thanks everyone!

tctyres
11-17-2019, 06:47 AM
There's also a graphite-based lock lube that comes in a spray can that you can get from the hardware store. Spray that liberally in the locking mechanism.

It's a lot like the dry lube suggested above.