PDA

View Full Version : Self coloring Titanium frames with titanium oxide, complications?

zmalwo
11-15-2019, 02:50 PM
If I for say want to blaze the surface of my Ti frame and create a layer of titanium oxide to make it look blue, should I be worried about the weldings and etc while doing that?

FlashUNC
11-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Yes. Not sure I'd add heat to bike tubes once its a frame.

rkhatibi
11-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Looks like anodizing might be easier and more precise. https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/masterclass-anodising-titanium-with-mooro-cycles/

"Rather than fill a tank with electrolyte, Morgan simply uses a cotton ball soaked in the stuff attached to the negative terminal of his power supply. The positive lead is connected to the frame, and once the power is turned on, anodisation will start to take place wherever the cotton ball comes into contact with the frame."

Blue Jays
11-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Find a trashed/crashed titanium frame to do all your practice, first! :banana:

Butch
11-15-2019, 06:25 PM
With anodizing it takes using a voltage regulator to get the color you are after. Tube prep, using the correct solution to help with conduction and penetration complete the circle. I would recommend having someone with the equipment and experience do if you want it to look good.

Back in the day I know that some companies have voided the warranty on ti frames that were anodized. I would look at the specific company's details for that, if it matters to you.

I believe the techniques most of the high quality builders are using today pose no problem in that way whatsoever.