PDA

View Full Version : GPS Question

ghammer
11-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Stupidly i left my Garmin 520 on top of my car yesterday after a lunch ride. it was cold, i was in a hurry plus i'm a moron. recognizing i was missing the unit, i retraced my steps at the office park today and found its mangled remnants on the pavement.

am not liking myself very much right now.

that being said, it was my mistake and i own it.

question: what's the best deal regarding GPS units these days? am not married to Garmin; no big issues there, it worked well but am open to other options out there. I know Wahoo and Lezyne make good units too right?

if you have interesting alternatives that are not too $$, please let me know. I'd like to know what's out there before shelling out $.

Thanks,

Gus

oldpotatoe
11-15-2019, 08:57 AM
Stupidly i left my Garmin 520 on top of my car yesterday after a lunch ride. it was cold, i was in a hurry plus i'm a moron. recognizing i was missing the unit, i retraced my steps at the office park today and found its mangled remnants on the pavement.

am not liking myself very much right now.

that being said, it was my mistake and i own it.

question: what's the best deal regarding GPS units these days? am not married to Garmin; no big issues there, it worked well but am open to other options out there. I know Wahoo and Lezyne make good units too right?

if you have interesting alternatives that are not too $$, please let me know. I'd like to know what's out there before shelling out $.

Thanks,

Gus

Yer phone?

https://www.lifewire.com/iphone-gps-navigation-apps-1683498

AngryScientist
11-15-2019, 08:59 AM
what are your main uses of the device?

is it just to track speed and distance, or do you use the mapping, directions, power meter, cadence, etc?

whatever you do, it;s not a bad time to be in need. practically everyone will be having some sort of black friday/cyber monday deal in the next couple weeks.

madsciencenow
11-15-2019, 09:07 AM
I don’t know about which device but BT Direct has a 25% off sale that started today on a number of Garmin devices.

For me Varia support is a big deal so this helps limit my options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiasticon
11-15-2019, 09:22 AM

am not liking myself very much right now.don't feel too bad! you're surely not the only one to do this! I have one friend that did it years ago and another who just did this last Sunday, leaving my house. walked up and down the street for a couple hours looking for it for him, no luck. also lost a pair of expensive gloves. we're human, it happens.

surely you'll find a solid deal on something though. great time of the year to shop for deals. fwiw, my pal shopping for one now is going for a Garmin again, versus Wahoo Bolt, only because he uses it for MTB and CX too and it seems the top inset buttons on the Bolt collect and hold onto dirt pretty easily.

pinoymamba
11-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Does garmin still repair for $100?

Alan
11-15-2019, 09:39 AM
See DC Rainmakers list of his preferred units. Hit the link and scroll down to cycling GPS units.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/sports-technology-buyers-guide-recommendations.html

I have a Wahoo Bolt and really like it. It is hard to beat for the money.

Alan

kramnnim
11-15-2019, 10:41 AM
the x30 models seem to be a big step up from the x20 models. I like my 1030. Tried a Bolt and hated it but might be okay if you're used to the 520.

false_Aest
11-15-2019, 03:46 PM
I purchased the Lezyne MEGA for DK + BWR. No touch screen but I'm OK with that. It works better than my Garmin did and way less expensive.

I'm 100% happy with my purchase.

nublar
11-15-2019, 04:07 PM
My Garmin Edge was run over by a truck (due to the mount failing) and they replaced it for me for free

jischr
11-15-2019, 04:42 PM
My co-worker did something similar, only with his company issued laptop. Never did find it. It either got picked up or went down the double wide storm drain opening at the end of his street. Only evidence was scratch marks on his roof going to the right rear.

MagicHour
11-15-2019, 11:39 PM
Dc Rainmakers annual Black Friday deal list
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/11/all-the-garmin-suunto-holiday-deals-are-now-live-plus-a-few-others.html

BobC
11-16-2019, 09:11 AM
If you just need a simple GPS bike computer & you ride with your phone, I would recommend the Wahoo Mini. $100. A pretty simple tool that does what I need.

Waterproof. Battery that lasts for months. Mine just sits on the bike the whole time.

I have the heart rate monitor & speed/cadence sensor (doesn't do power/wattage). Syncs great with strava through your phone.

unterhausen
11-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Yer phone?
see, then he'll just leave his phone on the roof of his car. That would be a real disaster for most of us.