PDA

View Full Version : Travel bike dreaming

NHAero
11-13-2019, 09:53 PM
These are long term dreams, but I'm 3-1/2 years from retiring so what the heck. In the early 2000s I had a Bike Friday, which was fun to travel with and use on day rides, but I'm thinking of longer trips - weeks - and carrying at least enough to CC tour. It's been almost 20 years since my last multi-day tour, on my trusty Bob Jackson, with camping gear. Now I have the Anderson, which is set up with hydro disc brakes (although I had both the fork and rear brake bridge drilled for rim brakes.) I run it with 37mm tires which I'd want for travel. I know before I do anything rash I should try some local multi-day touring again.

So what is the skinny on a great travel bike? Should I get the Anderson retrofitted with S&S couplers? Are hydro discs sensible for travel and packing? I could go back to mechanical discs easily, though I'd hope for something better than the Road BB7s I started with on that bike in 2012. I imagine the wheels are best with centerlock discs, for ease of removal and re-installation.

If no hydro discs, then gearing choices open up. I could even return to my trusty 3x9 setups :-) I would prefer STI shifters for rough roads.

Does it make more sense to find a frame that already has couplers? I need more stack and less reach than most stock frames offer. A 55 cm Salsa Vaya Travel frame has about the same geo as my Anderson, is also stainless, accepts larger tires, runs discs. Hard to find but no rush either.

Appreciate your thoughts.

bikinchris
11-13-2019, 10:17 PM
Independent Fabrication S&S coupled Independence frame with eTap Wifli and SRAM XX double chainring crank. 42/28 front and 11-42 rear (might need a road link or a ceramic speed cage) Bomb proof wheels, split handlebars. Cable discs with Paul Klampers. You can use zip ties on the housings to make packing easier. Oh, and a oldvtine Silca pump fits in the S&S case.

Or you could get a New World Tourist and be done with it.

eddief
11-13-2019, 10:30 PM
i'd choose mid-reach calipers, 32mm tires, and titanium, and these days with sub-compact crank and fat cassette no need for a triple...depending on your conditioning and how much weight you will carry. i love Etap except when you are in the middle of nowhere and the next bike shop does not have the parts. so far so good for me.

Hakkalugi
11-13-2019, 10:45 PM
I have one custom titanium coupled travel bike that my wife knows about. On advice of counsel, I hereby invoke my right to keep the bikes in constant redistribution around the basement so she loses count.

I ordered it (them) from Waltly Titanium and am extremely pleased. Disc, eTap, through-axle with exactly the geometry I wanted. Assembly is fast and easy, and probably adds fewer than 5 minutes over a non-coupled bike. The smaller 26x26x10 case is significantly easier to manage in rental cars, trains, hotels, etc than my Orucase-ish clone. It’s amazing how 2-3” of extra case dimensions can become huge in certain conditions. Most domestic US airlines have stopped charging bike fees, so avoiding that isn’t as much of an issue for now, although oversized and overweight fees still apply.

Certainly there are many builders who make great coupled bikes, and the Ritcheys are nice, but Waltly offered excellent prices and quality. My travel bike(s) have 5,000 miles between them and have flown many times with no issues.

Ken Robb
11-13-2019, 11:18 PM
If you are old enough to retire you are probably old enough to seriously consider credit card touring so you don't need to schlep tents, cooking gear, etc. Enjoy riding all day and sleep in a real bed after a good meal with beer/wine and dessert. :)

Clean39T
11-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Thinking a good deal about this myself too..... I have a pika works bike case now, but am also a bit scared of taking my swass custom rigs in it. The problem is that there isn't one bike that I want to take with me for all of the travelling I have on my calendar - I want to do gravel, and hillclimbs, and fondos. Do I suck it up, find some good insurance, and travel with my dearly beloveds? Or build out a Breakaway that splits the middle? Or something more robust but still a standard "bike" that fits in the pika works?

I have no answers. Just more questions. Sorry for that.

fogrider
11-14-2019, 12:05 AM
I've been dreaming of it too. I picked up a Pika bag awhile back for cheap and I can put my Rock Lobster in there and its pretty compact. The RL was built back in 2006 and it's one of my favorite rides...nothing fancy, rim brakes and running campy 10s but just a great riding bike.

I've had a Richey Breakway before, but I don't want a bike that is a dedicated travel bike.

Clean39T
11-14-2019, 12:06 AM
I've had a Richey Breakway before, but I don't want a bike that is a dedicated travel bike.

Do tell......

Too much work keeping an extra rig around? Don't like how it rides? ??

fogrider
11-14-2019, 02:10 AM
Do tell......

Too much work keeping an extra rig around? Don't like how it rides? ??

The dilemma of building a travel bike...do I put top shelf kit on it? then only use it when I travel? I have a bike for every day of the week...and just couldn't see putting the breakaway in the rotation. I used for lunch rides and even then, it was meh. I know someone that has a bike built with couplers and that's her daily driver...so whats that...about 300 grams added to the frame!?! I'm not a weight weenie, but I'm not doing that!

Octave
11-14-2019, 03:23 AM
I had a bike with couplers for the last 4 years until I snapped the frame in half - I do at least 2 major tours each year (8-12 days, 160-200km/day) and I've honestly only found the couplers to be advantageous on one occasion. Unless you're flying a lot, they really don't do much for you and are just one more thing to think about, maintain, and (apparently) disrupt the ride quality.

I suppose if all of your travel starts/ends with an airplane, then it might be different, but honestly the difference between assembling an S&S coupled bike and a non-coupled bike is a matter of minutes. The only times I've flown I've assembled my bike in the airport parking lot and ridden from there. Trains or busses have been the easiest travel and never require a full disassembly (maybe wheels off and strapped to the frame, but that's it).

As for the rest, ride what you like and don't think too much about it being a "travel bike." For instance, if you do go coupled, eTap vs. cable-actuated derailleurs will save you about 30 seconds when packing/unpacking. Do you really like eTap? If not, it shouldn't be considered obligatory for travel. Also, you'd need to carry a charger with you (or spare batteries) and if something goes wrong... :confused:

My pesonal touring rig is set up with 650x42c tires, 1x11 (40t x 11-40t) SRAM mechanical (road levers in the front, mountain derailleur in the back), White Industries BB and Crankset, Paul Klampers and chainkeeper, a handful of splurge parts because they ride nice (Whisky Parts Co seatpost and stem, Thomson carbon bars) and, most importantly, a Son+ dynamo hub hooked up to a Sinewave Beacon (with a USB out to charge anything I want from my dynamo on the road) and a Supernova E3 taillight.

Biggest takeaways from years of bikepacking for me are:
1) don't ride anything you can't fix yourself on the road (so cable-actuated everything, no funky proprietary bolts/spokes/parts that can't be replaced at a bog-standard bike shop...etc.)

2) Dynamo hubs will save you a lot of mental hassle - never worry about charging your lights or being visible again. If you spring for a light with a USB-out (or run a cable-splitter and charge a cache-battery along the way) you're even better. I've done a 10 day tour without any access to electricity and never had a low battery on my phone/GPS.

3) Always carry an extra derailleur hanger, an extra cable (1 brake, 1 shifter), an extra spoke (1 per wheel/length if you're using asymmetric rims)

4) 3+ bottle cages. You'll thank me when you find yourself in the middle of nowhere without any potable water near you.

Anywho, maybe that's all a bit more hardcore than you're thinking if you're planning only on CC touring, but those are my two cents. I avoid airplanes at all costs, which may not be a concern for you in which case the S&S might save you some money in the long run from baggage fees, but on the rare times when I have flown, I have an Airport Ninja case and have never been charged extra so YMMV.

AngryScientist
11-14-2019, 06:42 AM
How often do you expect to travel?

In my opinion...

If it is one or two times/year for a big trip/adventure, the PRO move, especially if you are retired, when vacation days are not ticking away is to pack up your best rig at home, bikeflights ship it to your destination, along with all your other gear. Fly out leisurely and un-encumbered, spend a day sorting the gear and go. repeat in reverse order on the way home.

i do a lot of spur of the moment travel, and like my S&S bike, but make no mistake, it's added stress and logistics schlepping a travel bike along, whether dedicated travel bike or full size through airports, trains, monorails, rental cars and baggage claim areas.

if you can avoid all that, again, especially if taking a day or so on either end of your trip to decompress and pack is not an issue, that's a huge advantage.

if i were to choose a bike for this type of adventure/touring/gravel travel, for me, it would be a stock metal bike with "regular" parts, not something bespoke or high zoot. yes to wheels that use regular spokes, mechanical drivetrains and simple brakes, again IMO.

make the most of the retirement advantages, where you dont need to be on a super tight time and $ budget and enjoy yourself, that's the point right?

good luck!

biker72
11-14-2019, 06:46 AM
I normally drive to my vacation location so no couplers needed. I do motel only so no tents, cooking gear, etc. required. I had been using my 2016 Specialized Diverge with 700x32 Gravel King slick tires and 105 hydro. Last trip I took my Lynskey titanium rim brake with 6800 Ultegra and 700x28 Conti GP 5000. (32's would fit but not enough clearance.)

Both bikes did well although I was somewhat surprised with the Arkansas hills on my last trip. The rim brake Lynskey performed just fine.

mistermo
11-14-2019, 08:11 AM

I've got a Ritchey carbon breakaway road. It's one of the better handling road bikes I've ridden. No reason to make it dedicated travel as it's 100% capable of full time road duty, with the occasional flight tossed in.

My experience has been that the more complicated the packing, the less likely I'll take the bike on any trip. My thoughts:

*I've never used S&S, but it seems the breakaway system is easier. It's certainly more aesthetic.
*eTap is great for it's lack of wires. To prevent damage, you'll want to remove rear derailleur. eTap, without cables, makes it super easy (with proper chain link). Also, when I ran a cabled rear derailleur, I seemed to have trouble keeping it properly adjusted, with all the cable connect/disconnect. YMMV.
*Cantilever brakes are easiest, since front straddle cable can be detached and handlebar becomes completely free to pack anywhere there's ample space in the case. Handlebar is not tethered by front brake cable.
*Disc brakes work, but are harder to pack, since nesting the wheels becomes problematic, with discs in the way. Removing discs is a pain.
*If discs are chosen, go with cable or cable actuated hydro such as Juin Tech R1s. They're lighter than TRP and work very well.
*I've used a 2 bolt stem faceplate, Thomson X2. Takes 1/2 the time to remove bars. Bontrager makes one too.
*Fidlock water bottles and "cages" are my favorite since they don't take up extra space in the case. They've worked well for me and are secure. Fabric cageless bottles are also nice, but are more difficult to use while riding.
*Find a rear wheel/freehub that allows you to remove cassette without tools. Ritchey wheels have this. I just got a set of Mavics that do too. I'm told some DT hubs do also, but never tried. You'll LOVE this for ease of packing, plus cassette swaps for different uses are super easy.
*Get a high quality travel pump that'll fit in the case
*I've not tried tubeless, but don't expect it's ideal. I can see it possibly causing a mess in the case, plus inflation may prove more challenging. I've not tried.
*MKS makes a super cool quick release pedal system that permits EZY on/off from crankarms. I've tried, and the QR system works well, though increases Q factor some.
However, I didn't like the ATAC based pedals so well. I see that there's a new model using SPD, now available. Hopefully new SPD pedal design is easier to clip in/out than the older ATAC system was.
*Get a good torque hex wrench and chain link tool
*pack LOTs of zip lock bags for storage of greasy items-chain, deraileur, cassette, pedals
*pack an extra coupler or two (Ritchey) in case one is lost along the trip.

Octave, above, has great advice for a touring applications. My setup is what I used when I travel for work and do day trips over the weekend. If I'm touring, he's got great advice about field service-ability.

weisan
11-14-2019, 08:16 AM
. These are long term dreams, but I'm 3-1/2 years from retiring so what the heck.

3.5 years -- you have plenty of time...

1) to experiment with what works.

Tons of used coupled bikes coming through here and elsewhere for pennies on the dollar.

Buy them and take them out on short trips, learn and discover what you like or don't like.

If it doesn't work out, sell them and try another one.

2) don't try to get it "right" the first time or go all in.

Or go throw gobs of money into a full custom rig with all the bells and whistles. Nope. Not the way to go...not until you have go back and read point #1.

You can learn a lot this way...about yourself - whether you like packing and unpacking, or bringing a bike with you on your travels, how much riding do you like while you are traveling, how it fits with your SO if applicable etc etc.

Once you figure all that out, getting a travel bike is the easy part. Real easy.

FlashUNC
11-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Thinking a good deal about this myself too..... I have a pika works bike case now, but am also a bit scared of taking my swass custom rigs in it. The problem is that there isn't one bike that I want to take with me for all of the travelling I have on my calendar - I want to do gravel, and hillclimbs, and fondos. Do I suck it up, find some good insurance, and travel with my dearly beloveds? Or build out a Breakaway that splits the middle? Or something more robust but still a standard "bike" that fits in the pika works?

I have no answers. Just more questions. Sorry for that.

Traveling to a phenomenal or bucket list ride destination just to ride a meh bike is a bit silly I think.

You've got the case for the job, bring the good stuff. Life's too short.

NHAero
11-14-2019, 08:54 AM
I should have made it clearer that I was thinking air travel. Angry's suggestion to ground ship the bike within the US is exactly what I'd do. I've been intrigued by Adam Paiva's write-ups, and reading about the Euro Velo routes, etc.

Lots of good thoughts to chew on here, keep it coming! I'm thinking next season some short trips around New England/eastern Canada will be in my plans. I now work 3 days/week so not hard to put some 4 day trips together.

Thanks all!

572cv
11-14-2019, 10:06 AM
We've done a bike trip or two involving air travel every year for a little more than two decades. In the first few years, bike packing options were bulky and ponderous(think big Thule boxes), and airports were way short on useful luggage carts. The S&S couplers and hard shell case were a revelation when I had bikes retrofitted ten years ago, a vast improvement on travel at the time. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of that setup. But there has been considerable development in cases over recent years, particularly Orucase and Pika cases, which has narrowed the gap. I now use an Orucase with my Eriksen and it is easy, light enough and works fine, no couplers on the Eriksen. The airport carts even make dealing without wheels not-an-issue.
So, it all depends on the kind of traveling you want to do. And if this is a few years off, well, it might be better to just save up, and make the investment when you are ready to take advantage of it. There might be better options. In any event, it is a fun prospect to contemplate!

jpang922
11-14-2019, 10:16 AM
From a packability perspective, perhaps titanium S&S with uber sloping top tube, eTap, and 650b rim brakes? Perhaps throw in a bespoke traveling bag while we are at it?

Handling characteristics aside, my biggest concern would be limited rim, tire, and fork options. Any thoughts?

NHAero
11-14-2019, 11:00 AM
Thanks, Rob, I knew you'd have good beta. Are these new cases under the 62" limit, or is there some other aspect to them that makes that inapplicable?
I imagine they are lighter too, keeping under the weight limit.

We've done a bike trip or two involving air travel every year for a little more than two decades. In the first few years, bike packing options were bulky and ponderous(think big Thule boxes), and airports were way short on useful luggage carts. The S&S couplers and hard shell case were a revelation when I had bikes retrofitted ten years ago, a vast improvement on travel at the time. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of that setup. But there has been considerable development in cases over recent years, particularly Orucase and Pika cases, which has narrowed the gap. I now use an Orucase with my Eriksen and it is easy, light enough and works fine, no couplers on the Eriksen. The airport carts even make dealing without wheels not-an-issue.
So, it all depends on the kind of traveling you want to do. And if this is a few years off, well, it might be better to just save up, and make the investment when you are ready to take advantage of it. There might be better options. In any event, it is a fun prospect to contemplate!

NHAero
11-14-2019, 11:02 AM
I haven't gone electronic and my gut says cables are OK, bring a spare or two, maybe need to fool a bit to get the shifting right when assembling...

I'd sure like to get discs if possible, but thinking mechanical. Dunno which brand today is best...

From a packability perspective, perhaps titanium S&S with uber sloping top tube, eTap, and 650b rim brakes? Perhaps throw in a bespoke traveling bag while we are at it?

Handling characteristics aside, my biggest concern would be limited rim, tire, and fork options. Any thoughts?

Clancy
11-14-2019, 12:33 PM

What size is your Eriksen? I tried packing my 54cm custom Ti bike into an Orucase and it was more than a tight fit - a trial run. It does have a long headtube.

I also wonder if some kind of wheels, skate wheels maybe, could be attached. I can’t imagine hauling that thing along city streets. Although it can be used as a backpack it’s one big backpack.

Issue with traveling with a bike is it’s not a bike to pack but also the normal stuff, street clothes and what not.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to travel overseas with a bike and assorted gear in a way that I can travel somewhat easily and independently. A carry-on along with a bike case might be doable, just can’t zero in on the best way to pack and carry a bike. Following this thread with great interest

572cv
11-14-2019, 01:17 PM
What size is your Eriksen? I tried packing my 54cm custom Ti bike into an Orucase and it was more than a tight fit - a trial run. It does have a long headtube.

I also wonder if some kind of wheels, skate wheels maybe, could be attached. I can’t imagine hauling that thing along city streets. Although it can be used as a backpack it’s one big backpack.

Issue with traveling with a bike is it’s not a bike to pack but also the normal stuff, street clothes and what not.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to travel overseas with a bike and assorted gear in a way that I can travel somewhat easily and independently. A carry-on along with a bike case might be doable, just can’t zero in on the best way to pack and carry a bike. Following this thread with great interest

The Eriksen has an effective top tube of 550mm, and a headtube of 169mm. O was worried about the fit into the Orucase, so I got in touch with the guys there and sent them my bike geo. They provided a case that they judged would fit, and it has. It is supposed to be a tight fit. They now have a case on the market with wheels, but I haven't seen one in real life.
The Orucase works ok sitting on top of my four wheel medium suitcase, at least for modest distances, because it is really light and I can lean it against the pull out handle, using one of the shouider straps to secure it a little better. But I wouldn't want to go a really long way with that set up. One other nice thing about a soft case is that it collapses pretty well and gets out of the way when not in use. On the other hand, the Orucase isn't meant for getting a lot of other stuff packed in with the bike.
I think everyone fine tunes for the kind of travel she/he/they want to do. Our (talking about my wife and me) approach is sometimes called thumbprint traveling, and it has mostly been in France with the bikes. I highly recommend doing it this way. We find a great place to be, with lots of biking all around, and go there for the trip. Its our base, and so we only have to lug all our stuff at the beginning of the trip and the end. That maximizes the available time for riding and relaxing, and we get to know an area fairly well. Conversely, if you are going from point A to point B over some period, you have to figure out how to get bike bags and suitcases from one place to the next. Some people fly in and out of one place, and store the cases in a locker at the airport or something. The logistics of your travel plans would seem to me to guide your choice of bags and what you bring rather a lot.

I've been more than satisfied with our approach and its evolution over time. My main suggestion is to have a good picture of the how and where you want to ride before you focus on the packing, if you haven't already.

572cv
11-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Rob, I knew you'd have good beta. Are these new cases under the 62" limit, or is there some other aspect to them that makes that inapplicable?
I imagine they are lighter too, keeping under the weight limit.

Hi Marc, whether the cases are actually under the 62" limit depends on the size of your bike. The Orucase guys make their cases in different sizes. My daughter's and wife's cases: Yes. Mine: Not quite. But they are black and look smaller than they are, the edges are rounded up, and mine has traveled as regular size, though on one occasion a very stern check in person with a tight sph*ncter made a show of getting out a large tape measure and declaring it too big. The good news is that some airlines do not have high fees for bikes any more, esp. some of the european ones. We fly Air Transat out of YUL often, and the add on for a bike there is $30 CAD. I don't know about the Pika, but there are a few paceliners who use these and speak highly of them. They look sharp. And yes, the Oru at least is way lighter than anything else I've used before, which makes the whole package more manageable.

NHAero
11-14-2019, 01:58 PM
I think you should just send that bike and the Orucase to me.
My Firefly's numbers are 549 and 161...

The Eriksen has an effective top tube of 550mm, and a headtube of 169mm.

572cv
11-14-2019, 03:18 PM
I think you should just send that bike and the Orucase to me.
My Firefly's numbers are 549 and 161...

Hah. Way off on the head tube.... you'd have to add at least one spacer:eek:

Doug Fattic
11-14-2019, 10:30 PM
I've traveled overseas many times with some kind of bicycle including regular ones and a frame I made with titanium/steel tubes that could come apart with 20' wheels. My favorite is a steel frame I made with S&S couplers with 24" wheels. To me the conveniences related to package the bicycle in a small box that is easy to carry beats any other inconveniences. The bicycle rides and handles like a normal bike and the small wheels make for a zippy feel. Of course I package an extra tire and a couple of tubes.

prototoast
11-14-2019, 11:31 PM
If it's possible to meet your needs with rim brake instead of disc, I would highly recommend for a travel bike. I have both, and the disc bike is a major PITA compared to the rim brake. There are extra steps involved (disconnecting the rear brake, removing rotors from the wheels) that are annoying, but the biggest this is just that a disc bike ends up being a lot harder to fit in an airline legal travel case than a rim frame. The rear dropouts end up being about an inch wider (outside to outside) on a disc frame than a rim frame, and the rear wheel axle is about half an inch wider. In a case where things barely fit when everything goes right, 10% wider is about 300% more difficult to pack.

tv_vt
11-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Here you go, Marc: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=244586

Or get a custom ti frame w/S&S couplers and midreach rim brakes (Firefly, Seven, Hampsten, etc). Discs on a travel bike seems like a nightmare to pack to me.

Hakkalugi
11-15-2019, 08:28 AM
For what its worth, I’ve had zero issues packing disc brakes in S&S cases. I use centerlock hubs and the rotors come off in seconds. My Yokozuna/Juin Tech cable-actuated hydraulics are easy to use because I put cable couplers on them, and my pure hydraulics are also pretty easy to work with, even though the front hose is internally routed in the fork. The additional width of the rear triangle has never been an issue. ETap is awesome for travel, because I remove the entire rear derailleur and hanger. That said, my wife’s cables easily disconnect as well and I’d bet that the difference between a cabled and wireless drivetrain is at most a minute.

It comes down to practice, practice, practice when assembling and disassembling the bike. Don’t try to pack it for the first time the night before you leave, and take pictures.

I take my bike(s) to Europe 4 or 5 times a year, always in Co-Motion S&S cases (good but not perfect). I have had zero damage to my bikes, and the cases have suffered only the expected abrasions common to airport conveyors.

I also have experience with larger cases, such as SciCon/Evoc/Serfas/Orucase/cardboard etc as a baggage handler for an airline, and am familiar with how all bikes go in and out of airplanes. My personal bikes(s) travel in the smallest cases available and are always well packed and padded. Smaller cases are much easier to move in train stations, rental cars, hotel rooms, home storage etc.

NHAero
11-15-2019, 04:37 PM
Alas I'd need to grow for that frame :)

Not giving up on discs yet, I could go centerlock. The suggestion in this thread to go Chinese custom Ti (Waltly, Habanero) hadn't occurred to me. I'm not sure I'd want a really nice bike like my Firefly as a travel bike, I might be too worried about it. In any case, it's all a mental exercise at the moment. I'd love to talk with you about your trips one of these days.

Here you go, Marc: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=244586

Or get a custom ti frame w/S&S couplers and midreach rim brakes (Firefly, Seven, Hampsten, etc). Discs on a travel bike seems like a nightmare to pack to me.

lukeheller
11-21-2019, 08:16 PM
I finished a coupled Waltly recently. Designed for both 700c or 650b with 68mm BB drop. Using centerlock wheels for easy removal. Thru axles. Max tire size 650x2.25. When running 700, I'll be sampling the panaracer 700x38 soon.

700x35 were always a pain to pack into the travel box so I may end up traveling primarily 650. Using TRP Spyre but considering trying out the Juin Tech cable actuated hydro

If you do custom ti, you get custom geo and never have to worry about scratched paint. Win win.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ujJzw61yY7wW9cSZ7

I previously had a custom Carver ti with extra long reach brakes, 700x35 and fenders. Other bike was a coupled Elephant NFE with 650b. Wanted to consolidate 2 bikes into 1 to simplify life. This was my solution.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hakkalugi
11-21-2019, 08:25 PM
700x35 were always a pain to pack into the travel box so I may end up traveling primarily 650. Using TRP Spyre but considering trying out the Juin Tech cable actuated hydro

If you do custom ti, you get custom geo and never have to worry about scratched paint.

Same here. I’m liking the 650-42 IRC Boken Plus as a tire that can do tarmac and gravel, and the Waltly frames have been great. The 650 wheel set is a bit easier to pack, even considering the Co-Motion case is more forgiving than the hardshell. I switched from TRP to Juin-Tech/Yokozuna and am very satisfied.

Alaska Mike
11-22-2019, 12:31 AM
I have a Ritchey BreakAway CX. It does the job, but I’m not in love with it. It was my first travel bike, and now I’m moving to a S&S coupled Moots Compact.

I travel a lot in small planes, and oversized bike boxes are not really an option for me. The S&S case was a big upgrade from the Ritchey in terms of durability and mobility.

I flew for a lot of years with a big hard bike case, and rental cars and other transport were a hassle. That said, I probably wouldn’t have a travel bike if I didn’t fly so much. After the bike purchase, retrofit, and all the travel-bike related gear (case, padding, other protection...), it just doesn’t add up.

XXtwindad
11-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Traveling to a phenomenal or bucket list ride destination just to ride a meh bike is a bit silly I think.

You've got the case for the job, bring the good stuff. Life's too short.

Great thread. A few (belated) questions.

I see your point on this. I also see the hesitation on bringing your unicorn steed. Did you purchase insurance on your Gaulzetti? How does that work?

XXtwindad
11-22-2019, 12:41 PM
If it's possible to meet your needs with rim brake instead of disc, I would highly recommend for a travel bike. I have both, and the disc bike is a major PITA compared to the rim brake. There are extra steps involved (disconnecting the rear brake, removing rotors from the wheels) that are annoying, but the biggest this is just that a disc bike ends up being a lot harder to fit in an airline legal travel case than a rim frame. The rear dropouts end up being about an inch wider (outside to outside) on a disc frame than a rim frame, and the rear wheel axle is about half an inch wider. In a case where things barely fit when everything goes right, 10% wider is about 300% more difficult to pack.

This is a big question for me. I like the stopping power (by far) of discs, and it's a game changer on long steep descents. That being said, I'm technically incompetent, and I don't want to futz around with hydraulic bits.

I know Hakkalugi preferred traveling with disc bikes. Can anyone else vouch for discs or rims brakes for travelling? (or vice versa?)

Clean39T
11-22-2019, 12:57 PM

I see your point on this. I also see the hesitation on bringing your unicorn steed. Did you purchase insurance on your Gaulzetti? How does that work?

From what I've seen, the airline's liability is capped really low, especially for bikes.....so we're left to third-party options, and I'm curious what others are doing there.....price, coverage, etc.

FlashUNC
11-22-2019, 01:10 PM

No specific insurance. If something went sour I would be filing a claim with the airline and through my credit card, Chase carries travel insurance on baggage on top of whatever the airline would cover.

Its a bike and life's short. I don't want it to be mauled in the hold of an Airbus, but I'm not going to live in fear of that happening either.

I don't get flying to a bucket list destination and then ride a bike you don't know or don't like out of some risk aversion.

Clean39T
11-22-2019, 01:14 PM
No specific insurance. If something went sour I would be filing a claim with the airline and through my credit card, Chase carries travel insurance on baggage on top of whatever the airline would cover.

Its a bike and life's short. I don't want it to be mauled in the hold of an Airbus, but I'm not going to live in fear of that happening either.

I don't get flying to a bucket list destination and then ride a bike you don't know or don't like out of some risk aversion.

Good to know on the credit-card angle - I'll have to check into that.. And third-party travel insurance, vs. day-to-day bike insurance.

I agree though, if I'm going to fly to europe to ride bikes, I'm either renting a Dogma F12, or bringing my own. Routine trips around the states though to just get in some miles in the sun....different calculus...

Alaska Mike
11-22-2019, 11:45 PM
This is a big question for me. I like the stopping power (by far) of discs, and it's a game changer on long steep descents. That being said, I'm technically incompetent, and I don't want to futz around with hydraulic bits.

I know Hakkalugi preferred traveling with disc bikes. Can anyone else vouch for discs or rims brakes for travelling? (or vice versa?)

For a coupled bike, I would go rim. Mechanical discs and cable-actuated hydraulics just aren't worth the effort, and hydraulics just seem like a pain in the confines of an "airline-legal" case like the S&S.

On a non-coupled bike in a regular bike case, bring whatever floats your boat. Get a good case, pack the bike well, and have a shop at your destination check it out if you aren't comfortable wrenching. Makes no sense to have a subpar bike along after you went to all of that trouble.

Mea culpa- I have owned several disc brake bikes, but never traveled with them. I always liked riding my rim brake bikes so much more. Ride what makes you happy.

Ttx1
11-23-2019, 06:25 AM

This x10.

I travel w/bike a bit. Started with Trico cases and fees, then went to a softside case with a sacrificial bike (ye olde Spooky).

Then I realized that more often than not I would prefer to have the Firefly wherever I happen to be. It’s by far the most versatile and best riding/handling bike I’ve got, especially on rough roads and mixed terrain.

I’ve taken it to the Caribbean and California so far, no problems. So while the S&S case is better when in the airport, my softside case is better when it’s sitting at the hotel and I’m out on my hydro disc FF...

In summary: Optimize around the ride, not getting to the ride. Travel can be hell, and you need to deal with baggage claim either way. Bring the bike you like.

XXtwindad
11-23-2019, 10:24 AM
For a coupled bike, I would go rim. Mechanical discs and cable-actuated hydraulics just aren't worth the effort, and hydraulics just seem like a pain in the confines of an "airline-legal" case like the S&S.

On a non-coupled bike in a regular bike case, bring whatever floats your boat. Get a good case, pack the bike well, and have a shop at your destination check it out if you aren't comfortable wrenching. Makes no sense to have a subpar bike along after you went to all of that trouble.

Mea culpa- I have owned several disc brake bikes, but never traveled with them. I always liked riding my rim brake bikes so much more. Ride what makes you happy.

Good feedback.

XXtwindad
11-23-2019, 10:25 AM
This x10.

I travel w/bike a bit. Started with Trico cases and fees, then went to a softside case with a sacrificial bike (ye olde Spooky).

Then I realized that more often than not I would prefer to have the Firefly wherever I happen to be. It’s by far the most versatile and best riding/handling bike I’ve got, especially on rough roads and mixed terrain.

I’ve taken it to the Caribbean and California so far, no problems. So while the S&S case is better when in the airport, my softside case is better when it’s sitting at the hotel and I’m out on my hydro disc FF...

In summary: Optimize around the ride, not getting to the ride. Travel can be hell, and you need to deal with baggage claim either way. Bring the bike you like.

Ditto.

dmurphey
11-23-2019, 04:11 PM
How about a Bike Friday pocket rocket? It goes easily into its own regular suitcase. It rides fine. I bought a used one after I was passed by an older guy on one while out on a ride. I have traveled with my regular road bikes. I have a big hard case for trips with them and the case is a PITA once you get where you are going. Mine doesn't fit in a little rent car.

weisan
11-23-2019, 04:45 PM
I like my coupled bikes....a lot.

Buuuutttt....I been thinkin'...if I am just exploring around a town or city, there's nuthin' that will please me more to have on my side than this....really.

http://alicehui.com/bike/Brompton/IMG_0516.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/Brompton/IMG_0716.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/Brompton/IMG_0522.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/Brompton/IMG_0632.jpg

Yoshi
11-24-2019, 02:29 PM
It's probably Karma for working for an airline the last 35 years but I've had nothing but trouble with airlines and BikeFlights the last few years.
Last three big trips have had stuff lost, damaged or both.

Now I only ship my B bike, a Synapse.
A perfectly capable bike. Fits great. Goes from road to gravel by just changing the tires. Can more than handle anything I will ever need it to do. And if something bad ever happens to it, or it somehow disappears, it can be replaced, no problemo. Cannondale stamps them out by the thousands.
But. If something were to happen to my Sarto or it somehow never came back to me I would be heartbroken. For a very long time.