PDA

View Full Version : Kieran Modra killed whilst riding

rustychisel
11-13-2019, 03:43 AM
For his family, friends and supporters, I'm devastated.

I saw him ride, I saw him race. There never will be a finer athlete or role model for our sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/nov/13/five-time-paralympic-champion-kieran-modra-killed-while-riding-bike-in-adelaide

oldpotatoe
11-13-2019, 05:51 AM
Very tragic but sounds like he was alone(?)...
Plus
Modra’s death brings South Australia’s road toll to 97 for 2019, including seven fatalities in the past week. At the same time last year, the toll stood at 63

Crap, be careful out there..even down under...

Matthew
11-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Seven fatalities in a week?!! And in Australia?

Jaybee
11-13-2019, 09:17 AM
7 bike related fatalities in a week? Or all road incidents. If the latter, 7 for a week and 97 for a year is remarkably small, even though every loss is a tragedy.

FlashUNC
11-13-2019, 09:32 AM
Yeah but what if he was on an ebike?

rallizes
11-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Yeah but what if he was on an ebike?

this is not as clever as you think it is

FlashUNC
11-13-2019, 09:47 AM
this is not as clever as you think it is

I'm sad for Keiran's unfortunate death. There's cyclist blood in the streets everyday in this country and others across the world in no small part because cyclists would rather other people within the group rather than acknowledge the real enemy we all face in the streets.

Not meant to be clever. Discordant and off-putting? Sure.

Merely pointing out that we have a umpteen page thread on a guy on an ebike getting buzzed, and this'll probably peter out with empty thoughts and prayers after a few comments, and tomorrow someone else will die, and the cycle will continue anew.

Cars are killing us, including some of the best of us, and we as a group would rather engage in semantic debates.

Matthew
11-13-2019, 10:00 AM
This doesn't need umpteen pages or even a debate. Everyone here thinks this sucks.

William
11-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Always sad news, RIP.

...Cars are killing us, including some of the best of us, and we as a group would rather engage in semantic debates.

Cars in and of themselves are not killing us, it's the impaired and/or distracted people driving the cars who are doing the killing. Until they are held accountable for their actions with severe penalties it will still be an afterthought for those same irresponsible people/drivers.

W.

bicycletricycle
11-13-2019, 11:11 AM
I am confused by this article. Was he riding alone?

Buzz
11-13-2019, 01:02 PM
The article is lacking a lot of details and perhaps more just a notice of death. I don’t know anything about this gentleman but it says he is visually impaired Para Olympian. Was he on a tandem? I suppose more details will eventually follow. Anyway, always sad and a reminder of the dangers inherent in sharing the road with cars.

makoti
11-13-2019, 02:48 PM
7 bike related fatalities in a week? Or all road incidents. If the latter, 7 for a week and 97 for a year is remarkably small, even though every loss is a tragedy.

I read that to mean in South Aus alone. Just coming out of Winter, and not the most populated area. 97 deaths sounds a lot.

Jaybee
11-13-2019, 02:57 PM
I read that to mean in South Aus alone. Just coming out of Winter, and not the most populated area. 97 deaths sounds a lot.

Good catch. Using some quickly google-able stats, I get 1 road fatality per 17,288 people in S. Aus, and 1/11,140 in Colorado.

BobO
11-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Cars in and of themselves are not killing us, it's the impaired and/or distracted people driving the cars who are doing the killing. Until they are held accountable for their actions with severe penalties it will still be an afterthought for those same irresponsible people/drivers.

Well said Sir.

herb5998
11-13-2019, 03:56 PM
Currently visiting some family in Adelaide, tragic news. Pictures showed single bicycle, no tandem. Road where it occurred is a busy one, but there is a shoulder for cyclists. Will be interesting to see if the driver was impaired or distracted. I’ve done a few rides around the city while I’m here, and there is a lot more traffic, and drivers are not as attentive as I remember from years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gummee
11-14-2019, 06:25 AM
The cyclingnews headline says 'killed in a collision with car' implying he hit the car, not the reverse. My bet is on the car hitting him

The whitewashing of car drivers continues...

M

oldpotatoe
11-14-2019, 07:43 AM
The cyclingnews headline says 'killed in a collision with car' implying he hit the car, not the reverse. My bet is on the car hitting him

The whitewashing of car drivers continues...

M

Further news articles pretty clear he was hit by a car.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-14/family-of-paralympic-cyclist-kieran-modra-speaks-out/11704878