PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle people that want help buying a bike?

tbike4
11-10-2019, 07:54 PM
This may have been covered somewhere but my search did not find it so apologies if it's redundant.

I get requests a few times a year because I am a "bike expert". Sharon says she wants to get a bike for her daughter, what should she buy. Larry brings me his 1989 xyz that he left outside for six months and wants it "tuned up". I tell him he needs a new bike.

I first tell them, how much $$ do you want to spend and what style of bike do you want. These people mean well but just don't realize they are asking me to be their personal shopper and research the heck out of the market to find them something for little Joannie to ride, for cheap. Of course there is the usual situation where you find the perfect xyz for them and they say, nope, wrong color.

15 years ago I might have been eager to help since I learned something as well. Now I just want to say, you have heard of Google right? Or something even more rude. I think the answer may be, sorry but I just don't have any free time. RANT OVER.

What's your answer?

prototoast
11-10-2019, 08:01 PM
I don't get asked much about buying new stuff, but from time to time the neighbor's kid brings his bike over for repairs, and few things in my life give me more satisfaction.

MerckxMad
11-10-2019, 08:07 PM
I’ve given up trying to help friends buy bikes that I think are right for them and their styles of riding. Now, I just try to figure out what they want me to say and then encourage their choice. “Sure, that $200 Walmart bike is so much better than that $1500 Rivendell. It’s much faster and a nicer color.” It’s what they want to hear and maybe they’ll actually ride.

sonicCows
11-10-2019, 08:17 PM
I’ve given up trying to help friends buy bikes that I think are right for them and their styles of riding. Now, I just try to figure out what they want me to say and then encourage their choice. “Sure, that $200 Walmart bike is so much better than that $1500 Rivendell. It’s much faster and a nicer color.” It’s what they want to hear and maybe they’ll actually ride.

Well since we're talking Rivendells I'd argue it's not much better than a $900 Cross Check :rolleyes:

Realistically I went through this recently–trying to justify for a non-racer why it's worth it to get a new bike with 105 over one with Sora or Tiagra (let's not talk about Claris) is very difficult. Especially since those 9/10sp parts are cheaper and probably more long-lasting.

duff_duffy
11-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Do you have a good local bike shop? While I never buy new bikes my local shop is great at getting people on the right bikes, size and type. I just tell them to let shop know I sent them. It’s a win win all around, shop gets new customers and friends get the right bikes and shop fixes my bikes as soon as I drop them off;) Easy...

CMiller
11-10-2019, 08:22 PM
I steer people to local shops now, it's just not fun getting sent 20 craigslist posts for Schwinn varsities any more haha. If they can't afford a new bike then I suggest a nonprofit co-op nearby with used bikes. Or sell them one of mine!

joosttx
11-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Listen to what they want to do with the bike and then point them to one bike that checks the boxes and that is easy to get.

When a person comes to me and asks what FS MTB I should get for Marin riding I say a Santa Cruz Blur with sram GX or better components. There are other bikes they could buy as good but SC Blurr is easy to get here and checks all the boxes.

What usually happens is the salesman at the bikeshop will try and sell something different. I know two guys who went into a bike shop planning to buy a Blur and one ended with a Bronson and the other a 27+ hardtail. Both horrible bikes for 40 year old dads to ride on fire roads to go uphill.

Irishgirl
11-10-2019, 08:29 PM
I get asked this occasionally which kinda makes me giggle as I am CLEARLY not an expert nor play one on TV or this forum....

I start by asking a couple of basic questions...(picture a Visio diagram in my head)

What are your goals or usage for this bike purchase? How are you going to use the bike? And do you have a budget? Depending on those basic questions part of me is on the look out for potential new recruits for “the cycling tribe”

Most often I’m connecting them with my LBS....and really what I think is going on for most people is they could be intimidated...maybe they have never gone to a bike shop...they may just need a little hand holding....and that is an easy way to support the person asking for help/assistance with a win for the LBS.

Quick answer is I listen and connect and your friends will appreciate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drmojo
11-10-2019, 08:32 PM
I have helped many people over the years
But I like to talk about everything
bike related
I truly enjoy every minute!!!

Ken Robb
11-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Do you have a good local bike shop? While I never buy new bikes my local shop is great at getting people on the right bikes, size and type. I just tell them to let shop know I sent them. It’s a win win all around, shop gets new customers and friends get the right bikes and shop fixes my bikes as soon as I drop them off;) Easy...

I agree. We are lucky to have California Bicycles AND UC Cyclery in La Jolla. They both carry nice inventories of various styles of bikes and have knowledgable sales staffs and good mechanics so besides getting good help choosing a bike you will know it was assembled properly.

gasman
11-10-2019, 08:57 PM
I ask them what they want to do-road ride, commute, mountain bike, ride with the kids ? We're lucky that there are several good shops in town. I then send them to the shop that will most likely have what they are looking for. If they really want me to join them I will-it has prevented some friends from buying a wildly inappropriate bike for their needs.
These days if they don't really like what I have to say I don't take it personally.

kppolich
11-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Ask their budget and riding goals. Then steer them to something used with 105 or better components while reminding them that they will eventually want a helmet, shoes, shorts, etc, It's not just a bike!

zmudshark
11-10-2019, 09:22 PM
I tell them I wouldn't consider a bike under $2k.

That usually does the trick.

If not...I've got a new pal.

adamhell
11-10-2019, 09:24 PM
i have trouble with this too. people see my hobby is building nice bikes and want me to figure everything out for them. i usually explain my POV and give some suggestions but 9/10 times they go to a random bike store and get whatever catches their eye, completely disregarding my advice.

i don't know what's "wrong" with my responses but i am not very good at convincing people what to get.

maybe it's the ego side of me but i want to keep trying and changing things in my explanations to see if i can get better at being more captivating. there is often a comment like "oh well you care so much about all these things and i just want a bike that can do X." it's frustrating how the attitude moves from "you're the expert" to "ehh i don't really care about this really and adam has a nerdy/obsessive sensibility that doesn't align with my attitude".

i think it's also a function of who the person is who's asking you. is it a coworker or your nephew? i could imagine the responses being different depending on how invested you are in the person.

Peter P.
11-10-2019, 09:32 PM
I see no reason to turn people away if they view me as the expert.

You DO however, have to be part psychologist, part salesman. If you recognize the signs they are going to be an indecisive PITA, then gracefully "admit" your lack of ability to help them and pass them off to a local bike shop so the salespeople THERE can endure the pain.

Otherwise, your job is to explain their options, the pros and cons of the technology, and let THEM make the choices. That way they can't blame you if they don't like their purchase.

eddief
11-10-2019, 09:34 PM
and then let them go to an LBS and get sold something the shop wants to sell them.

gasman
11-10-2019, 09:58 PM
i have trouble with this too. people see my hobby is building nice bikes and want me to figure everything out for them. i usually explain my POV and give some suggestions but 9/10 times they go to a random bike store and get whatever catches their eye, completely disregarding my advice.

i don't know what's "wrong" with my responses but i am not very good at convincing people what to get.

maybe it's the ego side of me but i want to keep trying and changing things in my explanations to see if i can get better at being more captivating. there is often a comment like "oh well you care so much about all these things and i just want a bike that can do X." it's frustrating how the attitude moves from "you're the expert" to "ehh i don't really care about this really and adam has a nerdy/obsessive sensibility that doesn't align with my attitude".

i think it's also a function of who the person is who's asking you. is it a coworker or your nephew? i could imagine the responses being different depending on how invested you are in the person.

Don't take it personally. You're doing you're best to help someone who is never going to have your knowledge or needs. Let them go to a LBS that will fit their needs, if they aren't happy-you didn't sell them the bike.

p nut
11-10-2019, 10:24 PM
I tell them I wouldn't consider a bike under $2k.

That usually does the trick.

If not...I've got a new pal.

Ha ha. I just did that exact thing tonight. I don’t think he’ll be asking me to help shop for a bike.

To the OP: I’ve spend so many hours over the years researching and scanning the local listings for friends, neighbors and family. Hey, I want the deal of a lifetime, in the right color, spec, and all within a 2 mile radius. The few that have bought bikes, they want me to service everything from derailer adjustments to flat tires. I direct them to the local shop now.

zennmotion
11-10-2019, 11:36 PM
Winter must be coming, y'all sound like a bunch of grumpy grumpuses! Setting boundaries and saying no with respect and grace is a skill worth learning. On the other hand, think of a request for help by a bike newbie as an opportunity to give something back to "the sport" that we love. I helped a neighbor with a bike purchase, helping her sort out what she wanted, pointed her to a couple of shops for road bike test rides, then helped search Craigslist when the sticker shock hit. We found an aluminum Trek Madone with 10sp Sram Force for $700 that was just perfect. She was thrilled and is now commuting every day 16mi RT and rides most weekends, and a year later finally got the courage to install clipless pedals. Seeing her so happy with a bike (a Mom with a couple of young kids and a stressful job- she NEEDED a bike) makes me happy.

zennmotion
11-10-2019, 11:48 PM
Winter must be coming, y'all sound like a bunch of grumpy grumpuses! Setting boundaries and saying no with respect and grace is a skill worth learning. On the other hand, think of a request for help by a bike newbie as an opportunity to give something back to "the sport" that we love. I helped a neighbor with a bike purchase, helping her sort out what she wanted, pointed her to a couple of shops for road bike test rides, then helped search Craigslist when the sticker shock hit. We found an aluminum Trek Madone with 10sp Sram Force for $700 that was just perfect. She was thrilled and is now commuting every day 16mi RT and rides most weekends, and a year later finally got the courage to install clipless pedals. Seeing her so happy with a bike (a Mom with a couple of young kids and a stressful job- she NEEDED a bike) makes me happy.

oldpotatoe
11-11-2019, 05:11 AM
This may have been covered somewhere but my search did not find it so apologies if it's redundant.

I get requests a few times a year because I am a "bike expert". Sharon says she wants to get a bike for her daughter, what should she buy. Larry brings me his 1989 xyz that he left outside for six months and wants it "tuned up". I tell him he needs a new bike.

I first tell them, how much $$ do you want to spend and what style of bike do you want. These people mean well but just don't realize they are asking me to be their personal shopper and research the heck out of the market to find them something for little Joannie to ride, for cheap. Of course there is the usual situation where you find the perfect xyz for them and they say, nope, wrong color.

15 years ago I might have been eager to help since I learned something as well. Now I just want to say, you have heard of Google right? Or something even more rude. I think the answer may be, sorry but I just don't have any free time. RANT OVER.

What's your answer?

Politely decline. Not sure what the issue is. For repairs, if you'd like to tackle it, give them an estimate of what it will be, be pessimistic, and let them decide. If you don't want to tackle it, point them to a competent LBS.
BUT, or something more rude
What's the point of that?

Clancy
11-11-2019, 07:41 AM
I sincerely believe that if given a chance the bicycle will save the planet.

I am not being hyperbolic.

And as such, those of us that love and believe in bicycles must be ambassadors.

Patience and humor

tbike4
11-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Politely decline. Not sure what the issue is. For repairs, if you'd like to tackle it, give them an estimate of what it will be, be pessimistic, and let them decide. If you don't want to tackle it, point them to a competent LBS.
BUT,
What's the point of that?

I think "rude" was a poor choice of words. Someone posted that it depends on who you are dealing with whether it's a relative, friend, co-worker etc and some good advice has been given. The person asking is a friend that I don't see often so politely declining is an option.
I am so laid back and want to be helpful that if I was offering close to zero advice I might think myself rude in that respect. Setting boundaries= good plan.

I have offered the advice of, how much do you want to spend and what style of bike do you want? I think the answer will be a "fitness bike" or a race type bike but NO drop bars. Plenty of options out there.

19wisconsin64
11-11-2019, 08:18 AM
To add to all of the good advice already posted, when asked this I also chime in about watching a few videos on YouTube on bicycle safety. It's not just a matter of getting a helmet, it's about being safe wherever they ride.

Honestly, when someone wants to get a bike, other than sharing my enthusiasm, I worry about them wrecking and then leaving the sport entirely!

rePhil
11-11-2019, 08:31 AM
I send them to my LBS. Last one I sent came back to tell me how pleased she was. After answering the usual questions, what do you plan to do with your bike, etc, he sold her, get this, A new pair of wide slick tires to replace the knobbies she was riding on the road.

Irishgirl
11-11-2019, 08:34 AM
To add to all of the good advice already posted, when asked this I also chime in about watching a few videos on YouTube on bicycle safety. It's not just a matter of getting a helmet, it's about being safe wherever they ride.

Honestly, when someone wants to get a bike, other than sharing my enthusiasm, I worry about them wrecking and then leaving the sport entirely!

You bring up an excellent point!!

Thinking out loud...what would be some ways to facilitate this beyond encouraging the videos.

For helmet safety maybe the purchase of a bike could require the purchase of a helmet or proof they own one. I realize it’s a choice to wear one when out in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron O
11-11-2019, 08:41 AM
I offer my advice, they ignore it, I smile and say what they bought looks nice.

In this vein, I have a friend looking at buying his first custom, and his first non-carbon bike. He wanted advice on builders, what I think is important when choosing one...etc. He seemed to be ignoring everything I said at first, but now he seems to be coming around. I think he's going to end up with Bishop, which is certainly a solid choice.

timto
11-11-2019, 09:50 AM
As for repairs - I don't like doing my own bike maintenance work and tell people I'm not great at it only adequate. People usually respect that - it's maybe a little self deprecating but lowers peoples expectations :)

Mzilliox
11-11-2019, 09:52 AM
i always help the people buy a bike thats right for them, because i love bikes and people riding them. i stare at bikes all the time, why not put that to use?

now im even looking into acquiring tandems to take folks who cant ride solo n rides. a buddy of mine took a blind guy for his first ride in over 20 years this weekend on his tandem.

jmoore
11-11-2019, 10:01 AM
If someone tells me they want to buy a bike, I discuss their needs and wants and then offer to go to the LBS with them. I also explain that there are bikes from $100 to $10000 and that I'd be happy to try and explain the differences. Once we get to the LBS, which is rare, we find a salesman and at that point I mostly just stand there and listen. Occasionally I will point something out or make a clarification, but generally it's on them to decide. I'm just an advisor. It's their bike afterall.

charliedid
11-11-2019, 10:03 AM
I usually start by introducing myself.

I then ask a number of leading questions and often comment on how god damn exciting it is for them to be purchasing a new bike today. I then casually wheel over the bike I am going to sell them and send them out on to the congested street for horrifying and exhilarating test ride. It serves no real purpose other than to give me 5 minutes to check my text messages and peruse PLF on Tapatalk.

Once my victim has returned, I swiftly take the bike while handing them a cup of room temp water to quench that thirst and clean out the smoggy taste of the city from their mouth. Moving over to the accessories, I hand them a new lock, some lights and suggest the saddle that they just rode on is ill suited for anyone other than a masochist and they smile with glee that I "understand" their needs. Plunking a shiny new helmet on the old noggin' shows we care and add's $84.50 to the sale of the bike that we stand to make about $49.00 on.

Once at the register I mention flat fix classes and the group ride we never do. Explain to them the basics of QR and gear operation and the importance of air pressure, cleaning the chain and keeping it all shiny and lubed. I briefly talk about the weather and what an amazing afternoon it is, noting that the weekend is going to be even better to ride on the lakefront path with 40,000 other people and bet they can hardly wait!

Handing them the receipt I show them the serial number stamped on the bottom of the bracket and briefly wave an owners manual at them saying it's all just hooey before asking them if I could recycle it for them? They never know what to say and it's usually a 50/50 shot. When they do take it I often ask if they are an engineer or lawyer and or if they always follow the rules of the road? It's a funny moment when they are a lawyer or engineer and we continue giggling about it as they thank me profusely while leaving the store with a brand new mid priced bike of some color or other.

If I'm lucky or want to, I ask for a photo to use without consent on social media in an attempt to lure in even more of these bike buying people.

Easy as pie and I never say no.

kingpin75s
11-11-2019, 10:04 AM
I generally help them based on their budget and interests, if I like them enough. ;)

Anything from pointing them to a bike in stock at the local LBS, to facilitating a used bike from online, building from a frameset up or putting them in touch with a custom builder.

I have probably recommended, facilitated or built about 25 bikes for friends and family over the past decade with budgets ranging from $500 to $5,000 and up.

Not sure I have ever charged a dime for my time. I do it to grow the sport, to teach others and for the learnings I get from each project that presents a challenge or something new.

Irishgirl
11-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Charliedid...your bike salesmanship has me laughing!!

All kidding aside...I think we as a forum could help these people and help forum member that have or know of bikes to sell.

sooo hear me out....

Develop an app ('cuz there is an app for just about everything these days) that asks some of the same basic questions many of us ask those that are seeking out our advice on their first or next purchase...at a minimum these friends/family/co-workers/acquaintances are giving you a compliment - they view you as having knowledge they seek and in some regard placing trust in you to give your input/advice...and I agree those on this forum (I'll exclude my self as an expert...however I certainly know where to find several :)) have expertise combined with an interest to get people on bikes...safely.

The app could could take the potential buyer through a quick q & a and offer suggested types of bike in their budget range...what could be really slick is to connect this somehow to the Paceliners with bikes to sell and maybe include LBS. There could also be some quick videos on bike safety - entertainment style.

I don't have the skill set for any of this...I'm an idea person...and maybe this can't work but willing to explore this thought with anyone that wants to go down the path.

tbike4
11-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Develop an app ('cuz there is an app for just about everything these days) that asks some of the same basic questions many of us ask those that are seeking out our advice on their first or next purchase...at a minimum these friends/family/co-workers/acquaintances are giving you a compliment - they view you as having knowledge they seek and in some regard placing trust in you to give your input/advice...and I agree those on this forum (I'll exclude my self as an expert...however I certainly know where to find several :)) have expertise combined with an interest to get people on bikes...safely.

Circa 2009- There's an app for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szrsfeyLzyg

tomato coupe
11-11-2019, 02:51 PM

I am so laid back and want to be helpful that if I was offering close to zero advice I might think myself rude in that respect.

You're painting two very different pictures.

dsimon
11-11-2019, 03:18 PM
I love this question. I have been asked whats the best brand or the best bike they can buy. and they are always struck in awww when I tell them.

"Whatever kinda bike you will actually ride!"
but what kind?" look my bike cost like 10 gaillion dollars" but you may only be able to afford" X" so again whatever bike you will actually get out and ride

Huffy from Walmart
Diamondback from Dicks
REI brand from REI
Raleigh from some where.

Again what ever makes you happy and you will actually ride!

NHAero
11-11-2019, 03:49 PM
In the last year I've helped three people with this question. If they are near my size, and I have an appropriate bike, I offer a test ride.

The most successful of the three was an engineer starting work at my company who wanted to commute, mostly through the woods. I gave him some basic opinions (and was clear they were my opinions, not iron-clad facts) about hardtail vs. FS, 26 vs. 27.5 vs. 29, 1x vs 2x, frame materials, and component brands. He decided that a hardtail carbon 29er with 1x sounded right to him, so I sent him off with a link to Pinkbike and a week later he had a used Kona Honzo on its way.

Ralph
11-11-2019, 03:57 PM
I send them to closest good bike shop. If they don't go....I know it wasn't a serious question.

It pisses me off when someone takes up my time with a question like that, and then asks a half dozen people the same question. And they usually accept the answer of the person who is most vocal....not necessarily the person most knowledgeable. So they wind up getting a hi end bike they don't understand or can't maintain...and they don't ride enough to keep up with other riders on similar equipment....and the bike winds up sitting in the garage.

It's hard to explain to a beginning rider...who just wants to ride the local trail with his family....that the bikes he just saw on the TDF may not be what he needs....or will ride and enjoy the most.

NHAero
11-11-2019, 04:05 PM
I get asked questions in my field of practice (high performance buildings) quite often and this is exactly my experience. So it goes....

Snip
It pisses me off when someone takes up my time with a question like that, and then asks a half dozen people the same question. And they usually accept the answer of the person who is most vocal....not necessarily the person most knowledgeable.

tbike4
11-11-2019, 04:16 PM
You're painting two very different pictures.

I don't know how to paint.

makoti
11-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Spending Other People's Money? Love it. On bikes? As good as it gets.
I start by explaining that I'm not the one to ask if they are looking for an inexpensive bike. If they don't say thanks & move on, off we go!

charliedid
11-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Charliedid...your bike salesmanship has me laughing!!

All kidding aside...I think we as a forum could help these people and help forum member that have or know of bikes to sell.

sooo hear me out....

The app could could take the potential buyer through a quick q & a and offer suggested types of bike in their budget range...what could be really slick is to connect this somehow to the Paceliners with bikes to sell and maybe include LBS. There could also be some quick videos on bike safety - entertainment style.

I don't have the skill set for any of this...I'm an idea person...and maybe this can't work but willing to explore this thought with anyone that wants to go down the path.

Arming consumers, just to have them come in and educate me about all these things they know?

Please God, no. :hello:

Seramount
11-11-2019, 05:02 PM
have had several people use me as a 'bike whisperer'...I typically suggest newbs buy something used to see if they even like cycling.

seems like two things happen...

I pick their brain for what kind of riding they want to do, find something appropriate, they buy it and ride a half-dozen times, then never get back on it.

I pick their brain for what they want, find something appropriate which they pass on and buy something a LBS pushed to get a lesser bike for more money. they then ride a half-dozen times and never get back on it.

guess most people just don't get the 'suffer' factor involved to become a proficient rider. they like the idea of dressing up and riding a nice bike, but aren't ready to make the commitment it requires.

buddybikes
11-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Well for me my then girlfriend 35 years ago just advised her she needed a real bike, ordered Bruce Gordon Chinook. Married 10 mos later and that bike is the ultimate gravel/winter/do anything machine