PDA

View Full Version : OT kind of...the act of receiving

Irishgirl
11-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Read an article today in the Washington Post in the hierarchy of whom you should pick up/drop off at the airport...

Summarizing

Parental Figures - depends
Kids - probably
New loves - absolutely
Old romances - sometimes
Siblings - no
Grandparents - why is this a question - of course
Extended family - perhaps
In laws- must factor other considerations
Best Friends - time well spent

This week I will be schlepping to the airport several times for quick trips zig zagging back and forth to Florida and started to think about the last time someone picked me/dropped me from the airport vs the times I’ve done this.

Being fiercely independent I feel asking or even accepting the offer to be picked up/dropped off is an inconvenience and for some reason I never considered it an inconvenience when I’m doing the driving...and then this article made it clear....because it feels good to do something for someone else...definitely a true statement and not just driving people to the airport.

As we all head into the crazy holiday activities including travel (hopefully not for several hours in the car or plane next to the in law/siblings/or extended family that can drive you crazy) maybe considering the accepting part is as important as the giving part.

And if anyone wants my travel schedule for rides to the airport let me know...just kidding...I think my Lyft driver is Happy I “give” to him too! :)

Below is the article-

https://apple.news/A5FoVjllTQna-PYgoTPZpLw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paredown
11-10-2019, 02:38 PM
I have a half-remembered running gag that was about how to avoid taking someone to the NY airports--Seinfeld--or a movie?

We've also done it for people in every city we've lived in DC, Seattle, London, New York, Duesseldorf... and I know it would spark real expressions of surprise that we would do so.

I think it started for me as a 'small town' thing--I dropped a lot of friends off at the Vancouver Airport until I moved away--but Vancouver was small-ish back in the day, and it didn't seem like much of an effort.

Worst time though was offering a grad school friend a ride to the airport in Rochester--and I got lost because I hadn't learned the city that well--very tense-making...

I have also not been dropped off as much as I dropped off others--but for me it is no big deal--and I think you are right--it's a minor form of giving. These days I think about the money--from where we are to the NY (or Newark NJ) airports is an expensive ride, and gas by comparison is pretty cheap.

echappist
11-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Read an article today in the Washington Post in the hierarchy of whom you should pick up/drop off at the airport...

Summarizing

Parental Figures - depends
Kids - probably
New loves - absolutely
Old romances - sometimes
Siblings - no
Grandparents - why is this a question - of course
Extended family - perhaps
In laws- must factor other considerations
Best Friends - time well spent

This week I will be schlepping to the airport several times for quick trips zig zagging back and forth to Florida and started to think about the last time someone picked me/dropped me from the airport vs the times I’ve done this.

Being fiercely independent I feel asking or even accepting the offer to be picked up/dropped off is an inconvenience and for some reason I never considered it an inconvenience when I’m doing the driving...and then this article made it clear....because it feels good to do something for someone else...definitely a true statement and not just driving people to the airport.

As we all head into the crazy holiday activities including travel (hopefully not for several hours in the car or plane next to the in law/siblings/or extended family that can drive you crazy) maybe considering the accepting part is as important as the giving part.

And if anyone wants my travel schedule for rides to the airport let me know...just kidding...I think my Lyft driver is Happy I “give” to him too! :)

Below is the article-

https://apple.news/A5FoVjllTQna-PYgoTPZpLw

I found that article to be overly snarky (e.g. re: whether to offer a ride to a sibling). The advice re: whether to offer a ride to parents also comes off as quite cold. Emily Post, the author most certainly is not.

Irishgirl
11-10-2019, 04:26 PM
I found that article to be overly snarky (e.g. re: whether to offer a ride to a sibling). The advice re: whether to offer a ride to parents also comes off as quite cold. Emily Post, the author most certainly is not.

Three things..

The author may have spent some time locked in the closet by her siblings...certainly some of us are guilty of “behavior unbecoming as a sibling” that would warrant not being picked up at the airport...(sorry sis about for all the times I flushed the toilet and the water temps changed...or that time I drew a mustache on your face when you were sleeping).

The article became a decent backdrop about giving and receiving and given the timing a few of us may be traveling for the holidays.

Lastly I love the word snarky. I recently introduced this word to my 91 year old aunt- she’s a fan too! Thinking out loud that snarky can be a judgement call...I read it with some tongue/cheek sarcasm- and the more I think about the author she definitely spent some time locked in a closet.

spoonrobot
11-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Why rely on family and friends for the kind of help that nurtures close personal bonds when you can just pay a stranger from the internet for a ride?

Sad article.