PDA

View Full Version : Wear indicators on Eurus rims??

Tommasini53
11-10-2019, 09:40 AM
I'm curious how long ago companies began putting the wear indicators on rims. And do/did all companies adopt this practice? My brand new HED rims have it, while none is visible on my Campy Eurus wheels that are from the steel spoke 8 or 9 spd era.

Did Campy even place wear indicators on this generation of rims?? I love the wheels, I'm just wondering if I have a safety issue (and a wonderful excuse to ask Santa for a new set of wheels). are these indicators a good measure of rim health??

jpritchet74
11-10-2019, 12:09 PM
That era Eurus wheels are my favorites! I have a set at my office and I will be by there later today - I will see if they have indicators at the brake track.

shinomaster
11-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Only really low end campy wheels have them, like Khamsin. The braking surfaces should be pretty flat, it they are deeply concave or cupped in, it's time to replace. I had to toss a set of Neutrons and Zondas for this reason. The newer Zonda's are really awesome wheels and more like your old Eurus with steel spokes fwiw.

oldpotatoe
11-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Only really low end campy wheels have them, like Khamsin. The braking surfaces should be pretty flat, it they are deeply concave or cupped in, it's time to replace. I had to toss a set of Neutrons and Zondas for this reason. The newer Zonda's are really awesome wheels and more like your old Eurus with steel spokes fwiw.

You threw away a set of Neutrons and Zondas cuz the rims were worn?
Yikes....:eek:

shinomaster
11-10-2019, 08:24 PM
You threw away a set of Neutrons and Zondas cuz the rims were worn?
Yikes....:eek:

Oh, they're still in the basement... but I gave the back Neutron wheel to a friend. If I could easily take these apart I'd try to sell the hubs on ebay etc..

oldpotatoe
11-11-2019, 05:20 AM
Oh, they're still in the basement... but I gave the back Neutron wheel to a friend. If I could easily take these apart I'd try to sell the hubs on ebay etc..

They can be an issue but I'd either try to figure that out or perhaps sell 'as is' as somebody can pretty easily find rims and make these 'as new'...certainly cheaper than a new set of wheels(at least for the Neutron)...and yes, the hub parts are common to most all Campag hubs/wheels.
MY gripe with 'wheelsouttaboxes', any manufacturer, wear out or crump a rim, fancy expensive pen holders....unless ya want to rebuild.:)

shinomaster
11-11-2019, 05:05 PM
They can be an issue but I'd either try to figure that out or perhaps sell 'as is' as somebody can pretty easily find rims and make these 'as new'...certainly cheaper than a new set of wheels(at least for the Neutron)...and yes, the hub parts are common to most all Campag hubs/wheels.
MY gripe with 'wheelsouttaboxes', any manufacturer, wear out or crump a rim, fancy expensive pen holders....unless ya want to rebuild.:)

It's gotten too expensive (for me) to rebuild wheels, especially since you can get a new set of Zondas for about $350. I have a bunch of worn out wheels from racing cross; a set of silver record ten hubs with worn out open pro's and revolution spokes.. rebuilding is about $350-$400 here in Portland as wheels builds have gotten really expensive.
I scored a set of like-new neutron ultras on craig's list for $350! and set of really amazing like-new Fulcrum racing 1's which are phenomenal for $270 on ebay. I think rebuilding my neutrons would be about $400 with rims and labor? With all the people switching to disc brakes and wider rims I feel like there will be a great supply of campy wheels being sold (cheap) in the near future.