PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Giro Climbing Question

dgauthier
05-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Stages 18 and 19 of the Giro include some brutal climbs - some approaching 18%. Anyone have any idea what sort of gearing the teams will use for this kind of effort?

MarinRider
05-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Is the hardest climb in this years tour, even more so than the Gavia that Hempsten made famous.

I rode the Mortirolo with a 28 two years ago. I guess most pros can race it in a 39X23 or 39X21 since its a short stage.

Russ
05-10-2004, 07:44 PM
DG,

When the riders of a team have to do these climbs, you'll see that the team mechanics will equip their bikes with the best combo that may suit that specific rider.

1) "Pure" climbers (Simoni, Garzelli, etc.) most likely use 39x23 or 39x25
2) All Arounders (Popovych, Rebellin,etc.) may use 39x25 or 39x26
3) Sprinters (Petacchi, Cipollini, etc.) may use 39x26 or 39x27, or 28

I am sure that you will also see some riders (but not the climbers) use the new Campy compact crankset 50x34 or 50x36. Climbers generally do not use gears smaller than 39 or 38 in the front as this does not help them when attacking the climbs.... Remember, these are CLIMBS (over 3 miles long, I think) not hills, and these guys are racing, not just riding along... ;-)

The climb I will never forget is the Vuelta a Espana Angrilu climb in 2002. Man, that was some brutal climb where riders had to use triple cranksets!!! (including some climbers, like Heras). This climb made the Gavia Pass in Italy look like an overpass in Florida!

Cheers!

Marco
05-10-2004, 08:00 PM
So Russ....what is your gearing for the climbing in So. Florida?

BumbleBeeDave
05-10-2004, 08:08 PM
. . . ALWAYS uses a 55 x 11! ;)

BBDave

Sandy
05-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Sandy the Spinner always uses the 11x55!

Sandy

Russ
05-10-2004, 09:14 PM
So Russ....what is your gearing for the climbing in So. Florida?

Whatever gear takes me to the Krispy Kream store before they close!!!

Last evening I had to use a 58x10 because I was so far away from the store and the gradient was only 2 percent... I really did not want to coast.

Tomorrow I am riding earlier so I wont have to race to the store, I will spin it out in a 53x11.

On my way home, those Glazed Crullers really fuel me well...

saab2000
05-11-2004, 06:26 AM
During my many years in Europe I rode fine most of the time in Switzerland with a 39x23. This is the standard gearing in the pros too. But for a really tough climb they might install a 38x25 or something like that.

Last year I went up one of the steepest climbs in Switzerland and my riding partner that day had a 39x21 as his lowest gear. He just powered up it. Yes, powered up a 12 km climb. He dropped me like a hot rock. He is, however, a pro level rider. He was once offered a few contracts in Belgium but turned them down.

During my 3 months in Florida this winter I would have rarely had a need for a gear lower than a 53x19! Vero Beach is FLAT!!! Driving home to the North, however, I did notice some nice rolling terrain to the north and northwest of Orlando. Looked like good riding country!

Tom
05-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Reading what some of you people are doing is a little depressing.

The hill that kicked my rear on Sunday has two pitches, the first is 12% for about 4/10ths of a mile and the second is a little longer but only about 10% average. The whole thing averages about 9-10% for what, 1.7 miles? I'm really not happy that the first pitch was such a struggle.

I guess the only way to get better is practice.

My story, and I'm sticking to it, is that it was the third hill of the day. I started out wearing about 4 extra pounds of warm clothing that got good and soaked through in the rain. I sure hope that was what made me ride so f-ing miserable.

The part that bothers me about myself is that it is fun. I think I'm turning weird.

flydhest
05-11-2004, 11:08 AM
The part that bothers me about myself is that it is fun. I think I'm turning weird.

What do you mean . . . "turning?" You're already there, baby.

Watching real riders climb is pretty amazing. At the Carpenter/Phinney bike camp, we went to Elba. There was a 5 mile climb and the sign said 14%. Some stretches had to be steeper, as I was in my 39-25, standing, arms getting tired from pulling on the bars, and a cadence of about 50 or less. One of the guides was an ex-pro, did it the night before for fun in his 21.

Bastard.

I'm not the best climber in the world, but to put things in perspective, at the Serotta Open house I had an 11-23 cassette and never used the two biggest cogs.

keno
05-11-2004, 07:06 PM
speaks (figuratively)!

We'll have that 9/17 in the mail ASAP.

keno

csb
05-11-2004, 08:35 PM
i like to use my 23 as a spoke protector