PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT - narrow trail running shoe advice

veggieburger
11-09-2019, 07:45 PM
To give you an indication of my foot, I love my Sidi and Gaerne shoes.

I used to wear Salomon trail runners (years ago!), but they have changed their last. Been walking trails a lot lately and have been enjoying it...might pick up my pace.

What are you narrow footers wearing when you run trails?

nmrt
11-09-2019, 08:14 PM
I have wide feet. Yet, I wear the narrow Salomon Speedcross because I love the grip. Not sure which Salomon you use, but you should try the Speedcross.

verticaldoug
11-10-2019, 12:07 AM
The Salomon S/Lab Sense always ran narrow. Give it a try if you can find it.

Otherwise give brooks a shot.

A lot of shoe companies seem to be fiddling with the last lately.

Andy sti
11-10-2019, 01:21 AM
Do you pronate, supinate, or are you a neutral runner? How much grip do you need? Do you want any drop or do you want a no drop shoe?

Lots more to think about than just width.

veggieburger
11-10-2019, 06:37 AM
Do you pronate, supinate, or are you a neutral runner? How much grip do you need? Do you want any drop or do you want a no drop shoe?

Lots more to think about than just width.

Neutral, little grip (mostly gravel), little or no drop.

C40_guy
11-11-2019, 09:49 AM
I've worn a couple of the Mizuno trail shoes over the years, the Wave Kazen and the Hayate. Both are neutral, lightweight shoes with decent grip. Not a lot of sole protection, an issue if you're running in rocky terrain.

I've become a zero drop enthusiast and recently bought the Topo Terraventure. (Not zero drop, but close). They're just a bit more substantial than the Mizunos.

Lots of people like the Altas...but I tried both them and the Topos on, and the latter felt better.

I have a pair of Salomon SC, but while they give great grip, they are just too narrow for me (and I don't have a wide foot).

Your preferred terrain will dictate which shoes you want... Do you need lots of rock or root protection? Do you need grip in mud?

Ozz
11-11-2019, 10:41 AM
I have a pair of Salomon SC, but while they give great grip, they are just too narrow for me (and I don't have a wide foot).

+1

Wanted to like them....just too narrow

Duende
11-11-2019, 10:48 AM
I also love the narrow fit of Sidi shoes. I've been told Brooks are for wide feet, but i have gotten them nice and tight on my feet using the extra lacing holes.

Anyways, the Cascadia series is great for trails with rocks. Really protect the soles of your feet and grip well too.