PDA

View Full Version : Tariff relief

kgreene10
11-09-2019, 11:43 AM
From bikerumor.com: “Thank Parlee for keeping your carbon bike cheaper, for now – BRAIN is reporting this week that importers of Chinese-made carbon frames into the states are getting a bit of a reprieve thanks to Parlee. They petitioned the U.S. Trade Representative for a tariff exclusion, so that importers of carbon frames made-in-China would not have to pay the extra 25% tariff. The deal even means such importers can claim back tariff already paid since the Trump administration jacked them up last year. This isn’t the same as anti-dumping penalties, but just applies to frames-only and is good until Aug 7, 2020. Interestingly, they only other cycling industry China tariff exclusion was awarded to complete singlespeed road bikes, thanks to State Bicycle.”

zmalwo
11-09-2019, 03:03 PM
If any manufacture imports already made frames from China, then they should go out of business to begin with. When you can pay a very little bit extra to choose to manufacture in Taiwan who offers night and day carbon quality compared to China but still choose to cut the cost to manufacture in China, then they don't deserve to be in the carbon bike business.

kgreene10
11-09-2019, 03:39 PM
If any manufacture imports already made frames from China, then they should go out of business to begin with. When you can pay a very little bit extra to choose to manufacture in Taiwan who offers night and day carbon quality compared to China but still choose to cut the cost to manufacture in China, then they don't deserve to be in the carbon bike business.

I’m under the impression that many of the big brands produce frames and components in China as well as Taiwan, including Cannondale when last I checked. I think that helps accounts for the outrageously high price of their new Supersix.

zmalwo
11-09-2019, 03:59 PM
I can't think of a major brand that produces their frameset in China. As far as I know, carbon layups are done in Taiwan. Small parts such as seatpost colors, headset, and etc might be made in China. However, you do see small startups who buy already made dirty cheap carbon frames from china and repaint them to sell as their own brand. I remember just last year one of the US startup had a aero line frame that was exactly the same as the generic chinese carbon frame I bought in 2013. they slapped on some letters and called it Aero xxxx or some thing like that.

Jaybee
11-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Pretty sure my Santa Cruz has a Made in China sticker.

unterhausen
11-10-2019, 09:50 AM
I'm old enough to remember when "made in Japan" was the mark of cheap junk. I have always thought that Chinese companies could build to whatever level of quality they wanted, but were going for low cost because that's what their customers expected. I have seen evidence in the machine tool industry that they are going more upscale because there is a market. I would expect that something similar will happen in the bicycle industry.

zzy
11-10-2019, 10:17 AM
I can't think of a major brand that produces their frameset in China. As far as I know, carbon layups are done in Taiwan. Small parts such as seatpost colors, headset, and etc might be made in China. However, you do see small startups who buy already made dirty cheap carbon frames from china and repaint them to sell as their own brand. I remember just last year one of the US startup had a aero line frame that was exactly the same as the generic chines e carbon frame I bought in 2013. they slapped on some letters and called it Aero xxxx or some thing like that.

Many have moved to the mainland - it's far cheaper than Taiwan. Cervelo did the move over a decade ago.

amerikaner
11-10-2019, 12:05 PM
I doubt the price reductions will be back to pre tariff prices for any product...since consumers are used to the prices now, retailers my keep some of the increases. :-(

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

rain dogs
11-10-2019, 12:36 PM
I can't think of a major brand that produces their frameset in China. As far as I know, carbon layups are done in Taiwan. Small parts such as seatpost colors, headset, and etc might be made in China. However, you do see small startups who buy already made dirty cheap carbon frames from china and repaint them to sell as their own brand. I remember just last year one of the US startup had a aero line frame that was exactly the same as the generic chinese carbon frame I bought in 2013. they slapped on some letters and called it Aero xxxx or some thing like that.

There are many major brands who are and have been made in China for ages... like a decade or more. Cervelo and Scott are two big name mfg that are produced in Guandong province.

Someone mentioned Santa Cruz.

Basically, unless your frames are being built by Giant or Merida there is a very good chance it's being made in China or Vietnam

kgreene10
11-10-2019, 01:01 PM
I doubt the price reductions will be back to pre tariff prices for any product...since consumers are used to the prices now, retailers my keep some of the increases. :-(

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

We might see sale prices on some of the newer models sooner rather than later.