PDA

View Full Version : How to conduct a Bicycle & Parts Swap meet...

Kevan
12-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Umm...that was a question. I'm in contact with my club's membership about possibly sponsoring such an event and I’m wondering how some of you folk might be pulling off your own successful swap events. What are the tricks? Where are the hazards? When’s the best place to pull these events off? Can I do this outdoors, tailgate style? How do you spread the word out to your cycling community?

Don’t be shy… tell me what I want to hear.

swoop
12-28-2006, 01:31 PM
the first rule of swap meet is that there are no rules to swap meet.

Ken Robb
12-28-2006, 01:54 PM
DBRK's porch is a good location. :banana:

Ginger
12-28-2006, 02:05 PM
1. Hook it to another event. The organization I know of hooks theirs to their annual meeting. Cyclists are going to be there anyhow...and those who are looking for swap meets will show up to if you advertise.

2. If you ask a donation for table space/setup (and well...if your club is sponsoring it, they could use a donation, or you might get charged for the space and you might want to defray the costs, yes?)
Expect people to crash your party. Expect them to be beligerant about not paying for space. Expect them to be nasty to anyone who mentions it to them.

2a. Create creative table numbers on colored card stock. Put a sign on the door with the space cost, and table card requirement. Expect the exhibitors to gripe about it.

2b. Someone pays for a space then the exhibitor signs the card, the cashier signs the card. If they get two spaces, get them two cards. Or make two space cards a different color...

2c Send a couple big guys through the area checking table cards two or three times with a couple extra cards:
"Oh, I guess you didn't see the signs, we're here to help you get your official card." Make sure they come back with the right amount of cash for the number of cards they distributed.

That system seems to work fairly smoothly. It's taken us years to get it somewhat right, and a few people still slip through.

And Yeah, it seems sortof *****y, but it has helped cover the cost of the building for the annual meeting.

As your event grows, you can charge more for table space.