PDA

View Full Version : Best Price Lake Winter Boots

rpettet
11-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Seems $300 is best price. Anyone know of deal on these? Veterans Day?

dem
11-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Direct from Spain, they usually do a Black Friday deal of some sort. https://www.lakecycling.com/

Some people had bad luck actually receiving their shoes, but I got mine.

I need a pair of replacement MTB shoes, so I'll be looking too.

Tall
11-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Back when the old Nashbar was still around, they had great sales on the previous model (MXZ-303). I bought mine for $180 via Amazon, but they went as low as $150 IIRC. Looks like you can still get the 303s for $229 in some sizes straight from Lake at the moment. Don't really know if the 304s are any better (The 303s certainly were an improvement of the 302s).

peanutgallery
11-09-2019, 09:22 PM
Are cold feet really worth a "deal"?

Just get the shoe that fits the need and ride on. Proper gear for the weather is worth every penny and always lasts for a long time. If you're freezing, the $ doesn't matter

The reason Lakes were/are cheap is their bungled distribution over the years, other things on the market. Buy one

rpettet
11-10-2019, 03:03 AM
Found some for 175, thanks

paredown
11-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Found some for 175, thanks
Here:

https://www.lickbike.com/closeouts.php

Looks like two models--a wide and a standard width

Gummee
11-10-2019, 12:33 PM
your best bet is to find someone like me with a pair of 303s (in 43) that doesn't need them any more.

I'm persnickety about seat position and the 303s mean I'm not in the right spot so I don't wear em.

M

verbs4us
11-10-2019, 07:17 PM
If you're riding road, isn't a "summer" shoe + insulated booties less weight than a winter shoe? Asking because that's what I've always done and seems to work down to low thirties. Below that I need to add chemical foot warmer and even thinner socks to accommodate them.

Hellgate
11-10-2019, 07:57 PM
If you're riding road, isn't a "summer" shoe + insulated booties less weight than a winter shoe? Asking because that's what I've always done and seems to work down to low thirties. Below that I need to add chemical foot warmer and even thinner socks to accommodate them.I agree, shoe covers and a thin wool sock work well on the road, cost much less too. I can't imagine riding in a massive boot like that. If I need a boot I'm going skiing instead.

SlowPokePete
11-11-2019, 03:44 AM
I agree, shoe covers and a thin wool sock work well on the road, cost much less too. I can't imagine riding in a massive boot like that. If I need a boot I'm going skiing instead.

Saturday morning it was 15 degrees when I left on my ride.

First ride of the year with my Lakes...

Shoe covers aren't gonna cut it.

SPP

Hellgate
11-11-2019, 05:40 AM
Saturday morning it was 15 degrees when I left on my ride.

First ride of the year with my Lakes...

Shoe covers aren't gonna cut it.

SPPNope, shoe covers will not cut it at 15. I'll skip that ride.

jamesdak
11-11-2019, 08:55 AM
If you're riding road, isn't a "summer" shoe + insulated booties less weight than a winter shoe? Asking because that's what I've always done and seems to work down to low thirties. Below that I need to add chemical foot warmer and even thinner socks to accommodate them.

Yep, my winter setup is my normal road shoes. I'll put Neoprene covers on them, remove the insole, add thick wool socks, and chem packs once it drops into the 20s. Done as cold as -7 for 30 miles and was fine.

Keeping feet warm is easy. Now keeping your eye lids from freezing shut when you blink can be a real challenge, LOL!

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/162200883.jpg

572cv
11-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Circulation and sensitivity to cold in one's extremities (hands, feet) can vary considerably among people. My Lake cycling boots added a degree of comfort to cold weather riding that I had not experienced with booties. If you can use the booties successfully, great. The main thing is to head out the door knowing you have a chance to enjoy the ride.

cash05458
11-11-2019, 09:28 AM
anyone know how lake goes on sizing...do they tend to run tight and smaller?

572cv
11-11-2019, 09:57 AM
anyone know how lake goes on sizing...do they tend to run tight and smaller?

I generally ride a size 43 Sidi shoe. The Lake 303s are a 44. That works fine, and allows for a bit more darn tough sock if I feel like I'll need that.

jamesdak
11-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Circulation and sensitivity to cold in one's extremities (hands, feet) can vary considerably among people. My Lake cycling boots added a degree of comfort to cold weather riding that I had not experienced with booties. If you can use the booties successfully, great. The main thing is to head out the door knowing you have a chance to enjoy the ride.

For sure!

In all honesty for me at least, it seems like the better I insulate my wrist and ankles the better my hands and feet do. I did struggle the first couple of winters with cold feet and hands until I realized that. May be true for others so just throwing that out there.

Schredder
11-13-2019, 06:02 PM
I rode yesterday morning 6 degrees with shimano mountain shoes and cheap louis garnea booties. Ride was 37 minutes so not a long ride.

bironi
11-14-2019, 12:03 AM
Experiment within your budget.
You're not dead yet.

merlinmurph
11-14-2019, 09:15 AM

The problem is the cold comes up thru the sole. A winter shoe/boot has insulation on the sole. Of course, everyone is different and different solutions work for different people in differing conditions.

mulp
11-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Wow you guys biking in freezing temps is commendable. I can barely get out of bed at those temperatures!