PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo Elemnt - can it record multiple short rides as one ride?

NHAero
11-09-2019, 09:10 AM
I know I can just try it out, but... I use a bike for commuting and errands, so some days I have several short rides across the course of a day. Between those rides, the Elemnt turns off. If I don't end a ride, but turn the Elemnt off, when I turn it on again, will it begin to record and add to the previous ride?

dem
11-09-2019, 10:10 AM
It will, but it rebuilds the .fit file each time - so kinda lame.

Probably better to use a "file combiner" like https://www.fitfiletools.com/

Ruckusdog
11-09-2019, 11:14 AM
In my experience, if I hit pause and then take a multi hour break the Bolt stays on. If I hit start it continues the ride and records everything as one ride. Given the long battery life of the Bolt this might work for you.

NHAero
11-09-2019, 11:19 AM
When I stop it Auto-Pauses, so that's what I'll try next. I tried the fot file combiner dem pointed me to (thanks!) and so far when I upload to RidewithGPS it hasn't combined the two files. Likely operator error!

In my experience, if I hit pause and then take a multi hour break the Bolt stays on. If I hit start it continues the ride and records everything as one ride. Given the long battery life of the Bolt this might work for you.

kramnnim
11-09-2019, 01:18 PM
So you can’t just stop, turn it off, turn it back on and resume?

NHAero
11-09-2019, 02:29 PM
I just rode to the drug store, turned it off, and turned it on when I came out again. It had to re-load the ride up until then, which even though it was 3 miles, took a minute, then proceeded as normal. Uploaded to RWGPS and looks fine, except I lost 70 ft of elevation :-)

dem
11-09-2019, 02:31 PM
You can, but then you wait a minute (or it feels like a minute) to recover the .fit file.

My garmin used to eat the file occasionally when I did this, so I suppose that's still better than losing the file (dig at kram who loves his garmin :)

NHAero
11-09-2019, 05:13 PM
This evening I rode to an event, stayed about 1-1/2 hours, and then rode home. I left the Elemnt on and I think it stayed on, didn't turn itself off. So when I uploaded to RWGPS it looks like one seamless ride. Battery charge was at 78%, so I think it just stayed on.

gone
11-09-2019, 06:06 PM
When I stop it Auto-Pauses

Auto-Pause can be turned off in the app.