PDA

View Full Version : The Serotta Hat and its ability to spark conversation

BURCH
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Over a year ago, I bought a blue Serotta hat (http://www.serotta.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCB&Product_Code=BC&Category_Code=C) from the site. The one with the red "S".

I liked the hat ever since I first put it on. It just fit right. No breaking in needed and it wasn't overbearing or flashy. It was my kind of hat. Anyhow, I have to say that this hat has become sort of a conversation piece. I have never owned anything that is such a conversation starter. You would think that I had a monkey on my head for the amount of times that ask about "that s".

The Scenario is always the same...
Someone looks at the hat and then they approach me and say, "What is that "S" for?". I had it happen while at pubs, at highway rest stops, on the street, even while looking for a Christmas tree in a field in upstate CT.

The Irony of it:
The person is never a cyclist. I have never had a cyclist ask or even notice the "S" and mention the bike company. It doesn't matter though because I enjoy telling people about this great bike company in Saratoga Springs, NY. A few people glaze over when I start my spiel, but most will listen and nod. Many people admit that they thought the "S" was for Syracuse or another school.

If I don't want bothered while out and about, I gotta remember to where a different hat!!!

onekgguy
12-28-2006, 01:02 PM
...and here's another idea for the red s...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=20354&stc=1

am i alone in this?

Kevin

Kevan
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
All this time I thought it stood for 'Sandy'.

Hey, that's what he told me.

Ahneida Ride
12-28-2006, 04:52 PM
All this time I thought it stood for 'Sandy'.

Hey, that's what he told me.

You beat me to it !!!!! Dang !!!!!!! ;)

Kevin
12-28-2006, 06:24 PM
When I am with my wife, and someone asks me what the "S" stands for on my hat, my wife jumps in and says "$hithead". Now thats a conversation starter. :D

Kevin

CNY rider
12-28-2006, 07:07 PM
You should try walking around in red underwear with a big "S" on them. That would REALLY get the conversation flowing. :beer:

csm
12-28-2006, 07:11 PM
try wearing a stone harbor beach patrol sweatshirt.
people ask what shbp means.

Kevan
12-28-2006, 07:17 PM
You should try walking around in red underwear with a big "S" on them. That would REALLY get the conversation flowing. :beer:

SANDY I KNOW!!!

TriJim
12-28-2006, 10:40 PM
...and here's another idea for the red s...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=20354&stc=1

am i alone in this?

Kevin
I used Favicon earlier this week for a car site I maintain. It would be great to have the "S" added to the main and forum pages. :beer:

onekgguy
12-29-2006, 12:10 AM
I used Favicon earlier this week for a car site I maintain. It would be great to have the "S" added to the main and forum pages. :beer:

TriJim...thanks for your support. i'm not sure why there seems to be little interest in customizing the site. as progressive as the folks at serotta are i figured they'd be all over this sort of thing. :confused:

Kevin

rwsaunders
12-29-2006, 01:47 AM
I know what you mean about the "S" logo hat. I've heard Michigan State and Stanford. Here's a low profile hat which won't have people confused.