PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Ksyrium ES?

Dino Suegiù
11-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Are these wheels, the 10 anniversary Heliums, with the red hubs and one red spoke, clinchers with Campagnolo freehub if that makes any difference, good? Bad? OK?
Were these reliable and sturdy, or high maintenance?

Hai H. Ho
11-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Bomb proof.

monkeytusmc
11-06-2019, 06:52 PM
Been riding mine for years now. No problems and they look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino Suegiù
11-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Thank you both.
Were all years good, or should I ask the specific year?
Also, do these (Campagnolo freehub) go to 11-S or only 8-9-10-S, with Campagnolo cassettes?

happycampyer
11-06-2019, 07:00 PM
I had a pair for many years, and really liked them. Strong, light, and nice riding. I had a very negative experience with Mavic over the first gen R-Sys, and dumped pretty much all of my Mavic products (and haven’t bought a Mavic product in 10+ years). The friend I sold the ESs to still has them and loves them.

Edit: mine worked with Campy 11.

monkeytusmc
11-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Thank you both.

Also, do these (Campagnolo freehub) go to 11-S or only 8-9-10-S, with Campagnolo cassettes?

I’m running SRAM 11 Speed on mine. I can’t comment on anything other then that as I just don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kramnnim
11-06-2019, 09:52 PM
I found them to be very uncomfortable on chipseal. Like the tire pressure was 20psi higher.

slambers3
11-06-2019, 11:18 PM
Check the rear rim for cracks around where the nipple threads in. In my experience a common failure with these.

Jere
11-06-2019, 11:39 PM
Hi

Mavic wheel hater from way back.
The original Heliums were horrible in the 1990s
They were light for the time and red so they were fast !
Everything was great till the spokes started pulling thought the rear wheels
And get this Mavic stopped make replacements 2 years after Bringing them out.
Not too many people were making 26 spoke rims.
Anyhow my over 200 lbs buddies love the Alum spoke Ksyrium wheels but
of course I get to true them up all summer.
Mavic I think since 2005 have been 11 speed compatible on there wheels.
I will say I did break down and get a Set of Cosmic Carbone Ultimate wheelset
When my RZRs broke , other than the stupid hub oiling thing I kind like them.
But I’m 140 lbs and Ultimates are all Carbon front and Mix in the Rear

oldpotatoe
11-07-2019, 06:08 AM
Thank you both.

9-12s compatible and not a great rear hub/free hub body design. 2 pawl and plastic base of FHB that wears. Easy to replace tho.
In addition, every model and year speced different spoke lengths so if ya break one, 'may' be challenging to find a spare. Same for rim.

peanutgallery
11-07-2019, 07:28 AM
Light, but a dated design

You're talking about an older wheelset with narrow rims. Not quite Chevy Citation old, but getting there. As others have stated, the spokes, hard to find and not a lot of support. If you can get them for next to nothing...ride them til they puke and move on. They will puke...trust me. Super light, super stiff and made out of aluminum - it happens

Cassette body is easy enough to change, but not sure of availability since Amer Sports sold them off. Mavic spares have always been more expensive than you would ever think and availability is old school euro. Higher end shops probably have one or 2 in the drawer that have been there since Mavic's high water mark about 10 years ago. Worth a few calls as its something that was paid for long ago and forgotten about

Mavic, how the mighty have fallen

pdmtong
11-07-2019, 12:29 PM
I have had many similar sets over the years and they worked well for me. Yes, I think my shamals are nicer, but there is a price difference.

negatives
- narrow rim by today's standards
- if rim cracks or spoke breaks hard to impossible to fix (have not experienced this)

positives
- 1450g
- very sturdy. I used for road riding, city commuting, and cyclocross racing.
- 9, 10, 11 compatible
- used prices can be very good.

benb
11-07-2019, 01:27 PM
I've eventually cracked the rims/had the spokes pull through the rim on the rear wheel of every "light" wheelset I've had.

To me that's just a sign the wheelset is toast.. If I don't want that to happen I need a heavier/beefier wheelset.

I have never actually done this to a set of Ksyriums though.. I've never had a pair for the 4-5 years it seems to take.

I personally would not really worry about it, it is what it is IMO. (I weigh about 175)

Most of these wheels are really solid performers. Price::Performance ratio is off the charts compared to the trendy/popular carbon choices.

I have a set of Ksyrium Elites FWIW.. 2017 IIRC.. they are wider but otherwise very similar AFAICT. They've been trouble free.

Dave
11-07-2019, 03:48 PM
I'd compare the Zonda wheelset for $320, to a new mavic wheelset that costs a lot more and weighs about the same, like the ksyrium elite ust. Unless you really want to try tubeless, it's hard to beat.

Dino Suegiù
11-07-2019, 05:45 PM
Thank you very much to all for the replies. Really great knowledge.

I am not looking to buy these wheels and use them, actually. They would come on a bicycle I am interested in, but the seller will only sell with the wheels, etc., and I do not need them. So, really just needing to learn about them. The replies here seem generally very positive regarding these (and hopefully reselling them), since the seller says these were new (he thinks they are 2010 models) when he bought the bicycle in 2012, very low (~1000) mileage, no cracks/etc.

I will look up sales histories to see what a decent/fair +/- $ value is on resale, and then calculate that into my offer for the bicycle. I would not expect to sell these for much, but every dollar helps, and at least these seem to be a recognizable wheelset with a pretty consensus positive history, which is good.

Thank you all again, I greatly appreciate the help.

homagesilkhope
11-07-2019, 06:00 PM
- used prices can be very good.

For buyers of these wheels, that is. If you're being conservative, upanddown, you'll expect to recover maybe $150 on a resale of this wheelset, provided they're in good shape.

Dino Suegiù
11-07-2019, 06:27 PM
For buyers of these wheels, that is. If you're being conservative, upanddown, you'll expect to recover maybe $150 on a resale of this wheelset, provided they're in good shape.

This is what is difficult for me to understand. I would have guessed not more than $250, but the eBay recently sold prices I see range from $125 shipped to $600 shipped, which is a huge range (all are used wheelsets). I have not read all the sold listings details, but the average sale seems to be about $350 or so shipped.

:confused:

homagesilkhope
11-07-2019, 06:48 PM
This is what is difficult for me to understand. I would have guessed not more than $250, but the eBay recently sold prices I see range from $125 shipped to $600 shipped, which is a huge range (all are used wheelsets). I have not read all the sold listings details, but the average sale seems to be about $350 or so shipped.

:confused:

If you're really lucky, you'll come across a buyer that's even more exuberant about these wheels than you are about that new bike. :)

Dave
11-08-2019, 07:32 AM
I sold a pair of ksyriums on e-bay for $275, during the auction. That was more than my $250 buy it now price. How stupid was that?

The wheels were at least 10 years old, but sat unused for 8 years. I broke a rear spoke the last year I used them, so I didn't trust them. The wheel wobble with one broken spoke almost left me stranded.

Dino Suegiù
11-08-2019, 04:48 PM
I sold a pair of ksyriums on e-bay for $275, during the auction. That was more than my $250 buy it now price. How stupid was that?

The wheels were at least 10 years old, but sat unused for 8 years. I broke a rear spoke the last year I used them, so I didn't trust them. The wheel wobble with one broken spoke almost left me stranded.

OK, thanks much. That was what I was thinking, and in line with what I saw on eBay. Yes, eBay is so odd sometimes, when bidders go crazy.

I will apply a $200 re-sale value to these, just to be safe, and apply that "savings" to my total cost if I buy the bicycle. If they then sell for a bit more, great.