PDA

View Full Version : New frame for daughter

sjbraun
12-28-2006, 07:37 AM
I'm looking to purchase a new frame for my daughter. At 22 she's finally appreciating the joy of exercise and has wisely realized that cycling is way more fun than running.
I'm thinking about something along the lines of a Surly Pacer or Soma ExtraSmoothie. Are there any other similar frames I should consider?
I know about the Rivendell familia of frames, but they are beyond my budget for this project.

Thanks

pdxmech13
12-28-2006, 09:31 AM
those aren't bad frames but you could get a nice bike from the big 3 with all the goodies attached. do you already have components ?

Serpico
12-28-2006, 09:54 AM
what about salsa or gunnar? they make a decent steel frame for a reasonable price

good luck

dvancleve
12-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Steve,

Are you dead set on new? I know that matters a lot to some folks, perhaps more to women. Just asking because with a bit of patience you can get a KILLER used frame for that amount or less. A couple years ago I picked up a lightly used match built Hampsten with Ti steerer AlphaQ fork for $300 shipped. Last year I got a Darrell McCulloch-built frameset with all polished stainless lugs including BB shell for $500 something. Just examples, but there are other fantastic deals waiting out there...

Good luck and happy New Year,
Doug

I'm looking to purchase a new frame for my daughter. At 22 she's finally appreciating the joy of exercise and has wisely realized that cycling is way more fun than running.
I'm thinking about something along the lines of a Surly Pacer or Soma ExtraSmoothie. Are there any other similar frames I should consider?
I know about the Rivendell familia of frames, but they are beyond my budget for this project.

Thanks

samtaylor1
12-28-2006, 01:37 PM
I went through a project like this for my girlfriend and got her a great Poprad for 650. Fun steel Lemond bike with 105 components that she can take off road if she wants. The only problem is that Lemond has a very long top tube so it is a little harder to buy a used one.

shinomaster
12-28-2006, 03:38 PM
this atmo...

http://www.sweetpeabicycles.com/

Serpico
12-28-2006, 08:18 PM
this atmo...

http://www.sweetpeabicycles.com/

that girl is punk as hell. very cool. thanks for posting.