PDA

View Full Version : Post crash - two questions on handlebars and gloves

veggieburger
11-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Healing up after a funky crash...bruises on hands are nearly gone.
So my questions...

1. Going to take the cork off and invest in some sticky tape. Been using cork for 20+ years....so who makes sticky bar tape? I like well-cushioned tape.

2. Not a glove wearer, but that's going to change. In the case of a crash, I assume real leather gloves would offer the best hand protection?

Thanks gang!

Veloo
11-05-2019, 10:24 AM
If you can find it somewhat locally, Shorex silicone tape is grippy and you can control the thickness applied to the bar by the amount of stretch applied. It does get a bit dirty but easily cleaned with some degreaser.

It's this but the shipping is a bit nuts from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Shorex-Level-Silicone-bicycle-handlebar/dp/B01H9KCC3G

pdonk
11-05-2019, 10:28 AM
My suggestion for gloves is full finger mtb gloves. They stay in place better on my hands and noo bunching at the base of my fingers like most short gloves.

In terms of "sticky" bar tape I like the silicone fabric tape.

https://fabric.cc/products/tape/silicone-bar-tape/

veggieburger
11-05-2019, 10:48 AM
My suggestion for gloves is full finger mtb gloves.

Good call.

cmb5286
11-05-2019, 10:55 AM
If you wanted really sticky tape, you could go with Lizard Skin. It comes in varying thickness if you wanted something really cush.

chiasticon
11-05-2019, 11:04 AM
If you wanted really sticky tape, you could go with Lizard Skin. It comes in varying thickness if you wanted something really cush.this. very sticky and cushy tape.

I hate gloves for road riding but I always wear long fingered ones on the MTB. I love the Giro Rivet II because they're super lightweight and just focus on giving you grip/protection in a crash. it looks like these have been updated to the Rivet CS now.

Blown Reek
11-05-2019, 11:05 AM
If you've been a cork tape using, no gloves wearing bike rider for the last 20+ years, get another roll of Cinelli cork and call it a day. Don't sell yourself out!

tctyres
11-05-2019, 11:14 AM
2. Not a glove wearer, but that's going to change. In the case of a crash, I assume real leather gloves would offer the best hand protection?

Most gloves have a synthetic leather palm. The synthetic is much better than natural leather for wicking moisture away from the palms. In the past 10 years, I've had one vintage pair of leather gloves. They had less give in terms of fit, and I have no idea if they offer more or less protection. I only remember one pair of gloves I ruined in a fall, and I think leather and synthetic would have both done the same thing. Those gloves were synthetic and were ripped on the palms, but my hands were fine.

eippo1
11-05-2019, 11:15 AM
this. very sticky and cushy tape.

I hate gloves for road riding but I always wear long fingered ones on the MTB. I love the Giro Rivet II because they're super lightweight and just focus on giving you grip/protection in a crash. it looks like these have been updated to the Rivet CS now.

Have a pair of these for MTB as well. Usually use half finger for warm road because most skin lost will be around the lower knuckle, heel, or palm. I used to ride crits without gloves. Learned that lesson the hard way -- luckily, I shattered my collarbone, so was out anyway :).

Learned the full finger mtb lesson this spring when out west and riding past tall rocks and took out a chunk of my pinky. Didn't notice until my amigo pointed it out either.

chiasticon
11-05-2019, 11:29 AM
I used to ride crits without gloves. Learned that lesson the hard way -- luckily, I shattered my collarbone, so was out anyway :).yeah I think racing road and especially crits without gloves is insanity. I don't race road, but I guess it's arguable that spirited group rides are pretty darn close...?

sorry about the collarbone :(

FlashUNC
11-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Full finger are overkill for the road, most of the rash will be in your palm or the back of your hand.

Anything is better than nothing.

TunaAndBikes
11-05-2019, 12:19 PM
I invested in Rapha long finger gloves this year and really love them for my long skinny hands. I've used them on the GMGG as well as commuting 25k to/fro for the last three months and they've been holding up great.

Ozz
11-05-2019, 02:41 PM
I use Mechanix Wear - M-Pact Covert Tactical Gloves (https://smile.amazon.com/Mechanix-Wear-MPT-55-010-M-Pact-Tactical/dp/B005YSS0EQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=mechanix+gloves&qid=1572986338&sr=8-5)for mountain biking...$27 on Amazon.

veggieburger
11-05-2019, 03:00 PM
I use Mechanix Wear - M-Pact Covert Tactical Gloves (https://smile.amazon.com/Mechanix-Wear-MPT-55-010-M-Pact-Tactical/dp/B005YSS0EQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=mechanix+gloves&qid=1572986338&sr=8-5)for mountain biking...$27 on Amazon.

Wow. Those look like something Batman would wear. Certain durable, although I would think that 2 hours on the road bike in the middle of the summer would have my hands smelling like a finely aged vinegar.

pdonk
11-05-2019, 03:21 PM
In terms of the full finger glove I wear - fox ranger gels - they come in a range of colours - including white. Light enough and breathe OK on the back with just a bit of cushion in the palm.

el cheapo
11-05-2019, 08:32 PM
As for gloves...I use Remington All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) with the fingers cut out at the half way point. Got tired of paying for overpriced road bike gloves that fall apart. No way my hands will be shredded if I crash.

carpediemracing
11-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Tape - the SuperCaz is cushy and grippy. It does move a bit (hard to stretch, not much double sided tape) but otherwise it's a great tape. I tried a slew of different tapes, looking for some cushion but more importantly tons of grip when wet. Once I decided the SuperCaz were good I got maybe 8 extra rolls for my two bikes.

I tried Lizard Skin, some kind of bumpy off-white tape, and it was grippy for the few weeks it lasted before the bumpy bits wore off. A "world record" tape, if you will, for use for world record attempts (aka Super Record of old). Fantastic when the bumps were still there.

Gloves - taking a lesson from the police officers that used to clean out my winter glove stock (because the insulated fingers still fit their trigger guards), look at tactical gloves for warm weather use. Mechanix gloves work well for protection - I shredded a set in my last crash (in Aug 2009, although it seems like it was just a year or two ago). Hands were fine. But I found they slip a bit when wet. Even so my current back up set of gloves is a set of Matcos I got from the Matco guy. They fit horribly (binds at wrist) so I'm going to alter them, but I wanted to fly the Matco colors.

Right now my primary/go-to summer gloves (crits but also any outdoor training ride) are discontinued CamelBak tactical gloves that the bike shop got by accident. If I could get a few more pairs I would. Fits great, no wrist binding, ventilated, tough, slim, not hot, dextrous, perfect for the bike.

I wear full finger gloves whenever I ride outside. Although it's unusual to skim finger tips, I've done it at least twice, the second time being about 2004? The second time it happened (there was a lot of broken glass on that corner as well) I decided it wouldn't happen a third time. You can't type with skimmed fingertips, that's the main thing. Although smart phones weren't really a thing back then, I can't imaging trying to use one with stinging fingertips.

steelbikerider
11-05-2019, 09:41 PM
My experience with gloves is a little different. Whenever I crash, (more than I care to admit in 40+years of racing and group rides) I always tend to shred my gloves and fingertips. Yet on solo rides, I prefer to ride no gloves and I use Fizik superlight tape. On my last big crash(not my fault) I broke a clavicle and rib(s) with road rash but what I whined about was my torn up fingertips. Always keeping your fingernails cut short will help. Full finger gloves might help but they are too hot from mid-March - mid-October on the road.

fignon's barber
11-06-2019, 04:39 AM
A little harder to shift, but boxing gloves offer ample protection.

daker13
11-06-2019, 05:14 AM
I wear full fingered gloves (Giro) all the time, on dirt and on the road, and I don't really think about it at this point.

Hilltopperny
11-06-2019, 05:30 AM
Just got in a really nasty wreck on Saturday. My favorite sticky, cushy tape is fabric Knurl. I happen to have a bunch of it in white that I picked up last year. I also don’t wear gloves often, but prefer leather when I do wear them. JMoore on here makes a very nice glove.

I was not wearing gloves or long sleeves when I went down and got run over. My right hand is finally losing some swelling and is looking mighty banged up. The leather gloves would have prevented the majority of the skin missing from my knuckles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tctyres
11-06-2019, 06:12 AM
Gloves - taking a lesson from the police officers that used to clean out my winter glove stock (because the insulated fingers still fit their trigger guards), look at tactical gloves for warm weather use. Mechanix gloves work well for protection - I shredded a set in my last crash (in Aug 2009, although it seems like it was just a year or two ago). Hands were fine. But I found they slip a bit when wet. Even so my current back up set of gloves is a set of Matcos I got from the Matco guy. They fit horribly (binds at wrist) so I'm going to alter them, but I wanted to fly the Matco colors.

Out of curiosity, did you ever look into biathlon/cross country gloves or mitts?
https://hestragloves.com/sport/en-us/gloves/cross-country/37120-ergo-grip-windstopper-race/250/

madsciencenow
11-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Just got in a really nasty wreck on Saturday. My favorite sticky, cushy tape is fabric Knurl. I happen to have a bunch of it in white that I picked up last year. I also don’t wear gloves often, but prefer leather when I do wear them. JMoore on here makes a very nice glove.

I was not wearing gloves or long sleeves when I went down and got run over. My right hand is finally losing some swelling and is looking mighty banged up. The leather gloves would have prevented the majority of the skin missing from my knuckles.

Damn, man that’s not cool and glad you aren’t in worse shape!! I hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Hilltopperny
11-06-2019, 07:49 AM
Damn, man that’s not cool and glad you aren’t in worse shape!! I hope you have a speedy recovery!!

I am banged up, but I walked away. The gentleman behind me ended up launching over me after I was taken out and was stuck in the Hospital until Monday afternoon. Had to have surgery on his hand and broke some ribs. He also took a harder hit to the head than I did. I dropped his bike off to him on Monday and he was in good spirits. Could have been a lot worse!

carpediemracing
11-06-2019, 08:11 AM
Out of curiosity, did you ever look into biathlon/cross country gloves or mitts?
https://hestragloves.com/sport/en-us/gloves/cross-country/37120-ergo-grip-windstopper-race/250/

I never did, but I wonder if the police officers even thought of it. Nowadays with all the tactical gloves there are a ton of cold weather versions of them.

For my winter cycling gloves I have some out of production winter gloves I bought at, believe it or not, a Dick's Sports Good Store. I was poking around the bike section to see what they had (I have this recurring fantasy of having a team of Cat 3s riding matching low end / 105 / similar bikes and doing well, like an REI bike or Dicks or similar) and they had Canari gloves on sale for $9.99. It's been my go to glove down to 25 deg F, fantastic, thin, great feel, and warm enough. I probably go them close to 10 years ago and they were out of production when I bought them. I wouldn't necessarily buy Canari product now but it's what I have.

Matthew
11-06-2019, 08:20 AM
I like Fox Ranger gloves as well. Just started using them this fall on my mtb after taking a hunk of skin off a knuckle after going down. Only 17 bucks on ebay. My buddy likes Thor full finger gloves.

NHAero
11-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Heal up well. Glad you weren,t badly hurt.

Hilltopperny
11-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Heal up well. Glad you weren,t badly hurt.

Thanks! Luckily I am pretty durable. Taking a few weeks to rest and should be back in the swing of things.

Ozz
11-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Wow. Those look like something Batman would wear. Certain durable, although I would think that 2 hours on the road bike in the middle of the summer would have my hands smelling like a finely aged vinegar.

Fingerless (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01EOWA4H8/?coliid=I3H9SEVNOHP0OF&colid=2NCSOA9PHKHZ3&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it) version too......:cool: