PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nike Vaporfly 4%

AngryScientist
11-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Hi, My name is Nick and I'm a gear junkie.

I've been running in Brooks running shoes since forever, with a few stray others thrown in over the years, but i havent run in Nike shoes since high school.

Anyway, following the NYC marathon, there's been some buzz in the media about potentially limiting shoes for competitive runners, since recent records have been broken, and races won in Nike's new Vaporfly shoes. Apparently they use a curved carbon plate in the sole, which gives some spring action, and (also apparently) they have some testing to document a real increase in running economy.

Since running season is here for me (winter...), i figured "what the hell" and just picked up a pair.

wow. short run today, and these shoes are not like any i have ridden in. the bounce is real.

longer term review to come, and who knows if it's in my head or not, but these shoes really seem to be more efficient than standard trainers.

anyone running in vaporfly's?

https://cdn.runningshoesguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nike-Zoom-Vaporfly-4-Medial-Side1-633x474.jpg

floppyb
11-04-2019, 02:35 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/18/sports/marathon-running-nike-vaporfly-shoes.html

122294m040
11-04-2019, 02:37 PM
I haven't had a chance to try the vaporfly but I do love the Pegasus. I've tried Asics and Mizuno and Adidas my favorite are definitely the nike Pegasus. But this was a couple of years back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

cmbicycles
11-04-2019, 02:58 PM
I wonder if there is a weight limit for the carbon spring, as in many things carbon and lightweight in the bike industry.

BRad704
11-04-2019, 03:01 PM
I'm not a passionate enough runner/racer to buy them, but I have 3 close friends (2 of 3 have multiple BQ marathons) who SWEAR by them right now. Basically saying the rebound literally springs you forward.

Spaghetti Legs
11-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Only problem is if you fall in them, the carbon will get microscopic cracks and then you have to throw them away.

I prefer the old steel core shoes.

kppolich
11-04-2019, 03:24 PM
I too have heard nothing but good things from my running friends. However, I feel these will go the same way the synthetic skinsuits went for swimming. Too many WR's get smashed then get banned.

They are on my list to try, but not in November.

572cv
11-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Only problem is if you fall in them, the carbon will get microscopic cracks and then you have to throw them away.

:)

That pretty much sums up THIS forum....

72gmc
11-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Not a running geek anymore, didn't realize these were used for that sub-2 stunt. Now I think even less of the way they went about that.

But for the average person--heck, yes, if I could still run distance I'd be all over these.

wc1934
11-04-2019, 03:57 PM
If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay (< $250?) and where did you purchase them?

GScot
11-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Pondering this now. I need to restock running shoes. Last time I tried Nike was 6+ years back and I had other favorites but I will check them out.

charliedid
11-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Hi, My name is Nick and I'm a gear junkie.

I've been running in Brooks running shoes since forever, with a few stray others thrown in over the years, but i havent run in Nike shoes since high school.

Anyway, following the NYC marathon, there's been some buzz in the media about potentially limiting shoes for competitive runners, since recent records have been broken, and races won in Nike's new Vaporfly shoes. Apparently they use a curved carbon plate in the sole, which gives some spring action, and (also apparently) they have some testing to document a real increase in running economy.

Since running season is here for me (winter...), i figured "what the hell" and just picked up a pair.

wow. short run today, and these shoes are not like any i have ridden in. the bounce is real.

longer term review to come, and who knows if it's in my head or not, but these shoes really seem to be more efficient than standard trainers.

anyone running in vaporfly's?

https://cdn.runningshoesguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nike-Zoom-Vaporfly-4-Medial-Side1-633x474.jpg

Nick

How is the forefoot fit and whats the drop?

I'm interested

gasman
11-04-2019, 04:01 PM
According to my running geeks and NIKE geeks here in Eugene they are the real deal .
Wish I could still run.

AngryScientist
11-04-2019, 04:13 PM
Nick

How is the forefoot fit and whats the drop?

I'm interested

These are, in general, narrower shoes than i typically wear, but the forefoot fit is quite roomy and the toe box has plenty of room, not constricting at all, though, as mentioned, it's definitely narrower in the arch area than i'm used to, but they do work for me. the way the heel cup is shaped really works too, keeping the back of the foot planted, and not squirming around at all.

Drop is listed @ 10mm.

AngryScientist
11-04-2019, 04:15 PM
If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay (< $250?) and where did you purchase them?

road runner sports.

i was able to stack a few discounts today and had some built up rewards credit there. out the door for about 160 today on these for me.

no doubt, they are expensive.

they are also quite lightweight, with minimal rubber at the bottom to keep the weight down, so i dont expect them to last forever.

charliedid
11-04-2019, 04:33 PM
These are, in general, narrower shoes than i typically wear, but the forefoot fit is quite roomy and the toe box has plenty of room, not constricting at all, though, as mentioned, it's definitely narrower in the arch area than i'm used to, but they do work for me. the way the heel cup is shaped really works too, keeping the back of the foot planted, and not squirming around at all.

Drop is listed @ 10mm.

Thank you sir

verticaldoug
11-05-2019, 04:23 AM
Yes, these shoes are the real deal. And fwiw, Sifan Hassan was wearing prototype track spikes with the same concept from Nike. She crushed all comers in the 10,000-1,500 double at worlds. Really amazing.

I'd just use the shoes for racing and pre-race prep. Train in your regular shoes and get the real + placebo effect for the race.
We are all capable of going so much faster.

KonaSS
11-05-2019, 05:09 AM
If you don't like the fit or specs of the Nike, there are many other shoes out there with a carbon plate.

Not that these are the "best," but just as an example - https://www.runningwarehouse.com/learningcenter/gear_guides/footwear/best-shoes-with-a-carbon-plate.html

earlfoss
11-05-2019, 05:20 AM
I have the 4%, and they're pretty nice. I did the Madison half Ironman using them. Honestly, they didn't feel much faster than the Zoom Fly version I trained in.

I got a pair of the new Zoom 3, and they're more stable in the heel. Heavier, but I feel that they nailed the feel. I'm planning to get some Next% for my next race as my friends who use them say they're the best yet. CRAZY light too!

DaveS
11-05-2019, 05:24 AM
As a former semi-competitive runner I’ve been hearing good things...and also lots of rumors and supposition that these might be causing Achilles or other injuries.

Could be nothing at all (just a scapegoat for overtraining) or could be due to a change in running mechanics I suppose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unpredictable
11-05-2019, 07:14 AM
Such cool tech.......Unfortunately they only last 150 miles for the full spring effect. They break down pretty quick after that.

oldpotatoe
11-05-2019, 07:45 AM
According to my running geeks and NIKE geeks here in Eugene they are the real deal .
Wish I could still run.

Mee too..tired of riding right now. I miss the ease of running..shoes, shorts, tshirt-go run. Ran with the first and second gen Brooks(Vantage and Vantage Supreme), tried NB, Saucony(nope)..had some NIKE..finished with Asics somethng...2 pair, alternated. BUT heels, achilles tendons, LH knee..no mas..

wallymann
11-05-2019, 09:12 AM
doesnt look compatible with midfoot/forefoot running footstrike.

eippo1
11-05-2019, 09:17 AM

That pretty much sums up THIS forum....

I'm not interested unless they have disc laceups :p

Seriously, though, my feet cannot deal with extra support. This would kill me (not that I can really run anymore anyway). I'm actually heartbroken because I can't find anything that comes close to their Free Run Distance 2 shoes. Best long distance dog walking shoes ever for me.

jr59
11-05-2019, 09:19 AM
I’m not a runner at all. Never have been.

But I’m wondering if this type of tech filters down into other sports shoes. Like let’s say basketball where Nike controls the market, more or less. Springs in the shoes....hmm...like Morris Blackman said, It must be the shoes...:banana:

madsciencenow
11-05-2019, 09:28 AM
So I haven’t run seriously in about a year but before that I did quite a bit of it and I’m wondering the following. It seems like these shoes are akin to a bike that weighs less or is more aero. What I mean is we pay more to make our perception of an activity we do at least in part for fitness easier thereby negating what we are trying to achieve. Is this the case here or am I completely missing it? BTW, I get why aero, weight, and shoes that are faster for the competitive athlete matter but for the amateur like me who is exercising and trying to forget life for a few minutes, what’s the advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verticaldoug
11-05-2019, 10:00 AM
doesnt look compatible with midfoot/forefoot running footstrike.

Kipchoge is a mid-foot strike. Heels strikers are usually overstriding and it is like hitting the brakes on every stride for a split second. Your cadence falls and you are not as efficient.

If you think you get benefit from the rocker, you are mistaken.

old_fat_and_slow
11-05-2019, 10:04 AM

'bout damn time somebody "saw the light"!

Hawker
11-05-2019, 10:31 AM

that pretty much sums up this forum....

HA! Lol.

Jaybee
11-05-2019, 10:47 AM

But I’m wondering if this type of tech filters down into other sports shoes. Like let’s say basketball where Nike controls the market, more or less. Springs in the shoes....hmm...like Morris Blackman said, It must be the shoes...:banana:

Mars?

https://pbmo.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/mars-blackmon3.png

BobbyJones
11-05-2019, 12:47 PM

I think it may be the other way around. I worked on some promo material for the launch of a Nike Brand basketball shoe a few years ago, here's a still from a video, but the visual motion emphasis was on "energy release".

MattTuck
11-08-2019, 08:20 AM
I have wide feet. The selection of most nike varieties in a wide fit option is very limited. Every once in a while I'll see a Nike style that looks good, and invariably I look on their site and A) there is no wide option or B) they're selling a really cool looking version of the shoe in a wide version, but only in the Norwegian market....

TDot
11-08-2019, 10:19 AM
I haven't had a chance to try the vaporfly but I do love the Pegasus. I've tried Asics and Mizuno and Adidas my favorite are definitely the nike Pegasus. But this was a couple of years back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Second this for the Pegasus. I have wider feet, so I can't do these up too snug, but in terms of comfort I think they rival Asics now, which were my go to for a decade. Still love my Asics but the Pegs are great, too, and lighter.

teleguy57
11-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Mee too..tired of riding right now. I miss the ease of running..shoes, shorts, tshirt-go run. Ran with the first and second gen Brooks(Vantage and Vantage Supreme), tried NB, Saucony(nope)..had some NIKE..finished with Asics somethng...2 pair, alternated. BUT heels, achilles tendons, LH knee..no mas..

Not tired of riding right now (and the snow/cold have put road riding on hiatus anyhow) but do miss the simplicity and the movement -- and cruising on trails. But no knee cartilage both L&R makes running a nonstarter for me. But life goes on and I'm thankful for the things I can still do at 65 -- like the other day in the gym when someone about 20 years younger than me saw me doing hex bar deadlifts, and asked "how much weight is that?" When I told him he shook his head and said "and you're not exactly the youngest guy here...." I took that as a compliment. :beer: and didn't tell him I was working hard to delay replacement surgery.

Ok, drift over. Back to fancy shoe talk.

Dekonick
11-09-2019, 12:49 AM
road runner sports.

i was able to stack a few discounts today and had some built up rewards credit there. out the door for about 160 today on these for me.

no doubt, they are expensive.

they are also quite lightweight, with minimal rubber at the bottom to keep the weight down, so i dont expect them to last forever.

Brooks aren't that much cheaper.