PDA

View Full Version : Building a commuter: Front rack and bag, oh my!

scottcw2
11-03-2019, 06:22 PM
I am building up a commuter of sorts to ride to and from the Caltrain station. The fork has low rider rack mounts (see picture), so I am looking for recommendations.

https://i.imgur.com/bdlIN2Nl.jpg

I also need recommendations for a water resistant/proof front bag with enough room for a 15" laptop plus clothes for the workday - shoes, pants, shirt, etc.

Thanks in advance.

charliedid
11-03-2019, 06:37 PM
I am building up a commuter of sorts to ride to and from the Caltrain station. The fork has low rider rack mounts (see picture), so I am looking for recommendations.

https://i.imgur.com/bdlIN2Nl.jpg

I also need recommendations for a water resistant/proof front bag with enough room for a 15" laptop plus clothes for the workday - shoes, pants, shirt, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Mid blade mounts...

ILE makes a bomber bag

JAGI410
11-03-2019, 06:42 PM
That's an awfully nice frame for a commuter! That should make your trips more enjoyable.

For a commuter detachable setup, I'd look at a basket or porteur style rack that holds a large bag that can be easily removed. Finding something that fits a 15" laptop might be tricky though. The Surly Porteur House bag looks promising: https://surlybikes.com/parts/porteur_house

Alternatively you could do a normal low rider rack and have 2 bags, one for the laptop/misc and the other for clothes.

scottcw2
11-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Mid blade mounts...

ILE makes a bomber bag

Link?

charliedid
11-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Link?

https://ilequipment.com/products/velo-orange-pass-stow-rackbag

charliedid
11-03-2019, 07:14 PM
XPAC bags are a nice option and pretty light. Waxed canvas weigh a ton.

72gmc
11-03-2019, 08:30 PM
That ILE bag looks good. MASH SF sells a smaller-than-porteur platform rack that seems to be designed for the ILE bag to clip right to it.

I’ve had good luck with a Nitto rack (M18 I think, mid-fork mounts), medium Wald basket, and North Street duffel bag. The bag is right for clothes and lunch but being round I’d say it’s not quite right for a 15” laptop. A 13” just fits with some creative packing.

livesadventure
11-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Two San Francisco based companies make rack bags in Xpac: Tunitas Carryall and Outershell. Can easily customize color, pockets etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joosttx
11-03-2019, 09:15 PM
I own one of these Swift Industries Hinterland Ozette Randonneur Bag. It is nicely made out of XPAC. To be completely waterproof a dry bag pannier maybe a better option than any front rando-type bag.

https://builtbyswift.com/shop/hinterland-ozette-randonneur-bag/

Burning Pines
11-04-2019, 08:38 AM
I use an outer shell 137 basket bag and it’s nice. Expandable but essentially waterproof when cinched down. It would probably work fine strapped to a platform rack if you don’t want a basket.

scottcw2
11-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Lots of bag recommendations. How about racks that don't attach to the end of the fork?

Also, what size (liters) bag for shoes, socks, pants, shirt, etc.?

muz
11-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Lots of bag recommendations. How about racks that don't attach to the end of the fork?

My commuter has Paul centerpull brakes and mid fork lowrider mounts, so obviously nobody makes a rack for this combination. I had John Fitzgerald of Fitz Cycles (Santa Rosa) build me a custom stainless steel rack. It's a great rack, and the price was very reasonable. I left my fork with him to make sure it fits just right.

thermalattorney
11-04-2019, 11:16 AM
How about racks that don't attach to the end of the fork?

Check out the Specialized Pizza Rack. I helped a friend install it on a similar commuter bike to yours and it seems reasonably well made and pretty light. He's been using it without issue now for a couple of years.

Personally I use a VO Porteur rack and just bungie down a waterproof Timbuk2 messenger.

72gmc
11-04-2019, 11:21 AM
https://www.sim.works/collections/others-simworks-by-nitto/products/obento-rack?variant=12537904758885

Here's a rack with mid-fork mounts and a nice middle ground for platform size. Not sure how well the rear struts would play with your cantis.

jtakeda
11-04-2019, 11:42 AM
You can go super fancy and get a pass and stow or regular with a rawland rack or specialized pizza rack.

Bag wise I’d go with Ruthworks or Outershell personally.

Ps all Bay Area companies

nublar
11-04-2019, 12:38 PM
I have this guy on my rawland:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-racks-fenders-locks/bike-racks/bontrager-carry-forward-front-rack/p/14955/

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YW9phI3Kr0jrv7JHAKlKD5nQ0HH-_fl35o-hyC8-2BkxCo09YXcUwM3x2_fSI0t7esk8iMVsMC5rMSdCu7vSfl8VMD JpuZb7m1rkbmBSJCuZseUNIm1UOxSF4Ppu8Fnylt1Kg4fW7oeP EYXMFHVYQFGg4cSM7ZCHVQZZfbrNCWuvMkYoXxI5WJsE3QbRSS QKwNYvYQTCQefeBU9SiUWMtutKXAdkWFu4CSUS3UvgiZd77aR2 esusXzoxG4m8ab6UCx9XBEzPFIBYGTMOrwTSDmIU4u2FwIB4Ap 8uirRt0P_mvgcMJ9eyQ-LrQn2cDUOtbeAsWj5y3yVRp8KO2ZCNJ7w5hfCZHRWufYvhhgWL XA6pg2VJAJ2NOhrkGeudfInO6a7WtI2FwwjhxMkYZMG-u27FOqYJyuWU-Gjbo2sa0z8bNy6vExI62qBzfkt4ivrNFvaUlzhgSVKv2gQO-l9ua4tYhO8sdSovyoIcxsZK4Zqo63yrsLwmU3if4ytKmaY067b iGY6HrJBhhQ7YvlH7HSyAhEbZJ0Hnw-4ZZzda5JjcjWdxCCcWgRDW-InczELMpCqbAlxAmHq2hhyEbcOJdE0zollhjGZ48lUv8EjU6JN fhYXRfQ0NpHOtvLGuwdWrt_8s8MkNyb10VfCetW36rRkdaMDI4 tgGcZQeHZhQtImyTH4pKWYMslD=w1410-h1058-no

DarkStar
11-04-2019, 01:01 PM
That will be a very proper bike when completed, just trust you have secure storage following your commutes. My Litespeed BlueRidge resides in my office; the outside lockup is a beacon for bike thieves:banana:

Johnnysmooth
11-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Not sure why you want rack up front as your steering/bike handling will suffer. I always start from rear and work my way forward.

As for bag, plenty of waterproof options all a matter of how easily you can attach and detach the bag.

CMiller
11-04-2019, 01:21 PM
I vote Wald basket and any waterproof bag you like that’ll fit, just strap it in.

72gmc
11-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Not sure why you want rack up front as your steering/bike handling will suffer. I always start from rear and work my way forward.

It depends on the bike. My Davidson was designed to be a randonneur so it rides fine with a commuter-weight front load. The handling effect is like changing from slalom to GS skis, which I like (I made the same change with skis a long time ago).

A porteur load probably wouldn't be so nice on my bike.

charliedid
11-04-2019, 02:33 PM

As for bag, plenty of waterproof options all a matter of how easily you can attach and detach the bag.

No it won't.

559Rando
11-04-2019, 03:56 PM
If you can find a Mission Workshop "Helmsman", they're great. I have one and it's awesome! Just looked and MW doesn't seem to offer it anymore.

https://www.carryology.com/luggage/mission-workshop-helmsman-duffle-drive-by/

charliedid
11-04-2019, 04:41 PM

I'd do this and an ILE XPAC bag for what you are doing.

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/demi-porteur-rack

doomridesout
11-04-2019, 10:22 PM
I had the same dilemma and ended up with a Specialized Pizza Rack. It is, apparently the only demi-porteur size front rack that mounts to mid-blade eyelets and has a mount point for a front light for less than $100. Very pleased with it so far.

charliedid
11-05-2019, 08:03 AM
I had the same dilemma and ended up with a Specialized Pizza Rack. It is, apparently the only demi-porteur size front rack that mounts to mid-blade eyelets and has a mount point for a front light for less than $100. Very pleased with it so far.

It's a cool rack for sure but not sure it's the only mid blade mount demi. Some Nitto and Rawland make one no?

doomridesout
11-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Yeah but $$$. Note I said the only one sub $100.

charliedid
11-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Yeah but $$$. Note I said the only one sub $100.

Fair and good point

Johnnysmooth
11-06-2019, 06:31 AM
No it won't.

From personal experience of countless bike tours steering has been impacted negatively with just front loaded bike. Note I use panniers and my bike is an old steel Fuji Saratoga

charliedid
11-06-2019, 09:48 AM
From personal experience of countless bike tours steering has been impacted negatively with just front loaded bike. Note I use panniers and my bike is an old steel Fuji Saratoga

Fair enough and I too have many decades of touring and commuting under my belt, and i'll qualify that by saying it's "somewhat" bike dependent. Touring bikes are made to carry loads in front and rear. They suffer from having just the front or the rear loaded based on your preference, load weight, position and the bike itself. My modern OS tubed Gunnar Grand Tour manages a front load "better" than my 1976 Raleigh did. Most all touring bikes ride best with a load split front to rear.

Really it's just a matter of degree as I believe that a bike designed to carry a front load (The OP's is) will manage a light to med. load more to my liking than the rear only option. Flexy fork on a 1" HT and a quill stem might not be the 'best" but I'd still probably choose it. I prefer the planted feeling without the rear end wagging and dragging.

I ride my Gunnar almost every day with a single rear pannier and it's fine but I keep thinking I should invest in a porteur rack and back for my commute. I know I'd prefer it.

Cheers

Ken Robb
11-06-2019, 10:21 AM
My Riv Allrounder and Rambouillet both handled fine with a huge saddlebag loaded with 35 pounds of groceries. I suppose this may be due to the weight "looking" to the bike just like a heavier rider rather than extra weight well forward or backward from its center of gravity.

i