PDA

View Full Version : Winter Jacket Recomendations

BobbyJones
11-02-2019, 09:23 AM
In the market for a new winter jacket. With all of the smaller companies popping up I want to make sure there's nothing I've overlooked.

For reference, I currently use an older Hincapie jacket, Roubaix fabric with windtex front facing panels. It's lightweight, breathable and versatile depending on layers. Sheds minor precip just fine and has been pretty durable.

Issue is that its aging and a little oversized for my current weight. Wet days I use a MW Orion (neoshell) in the same manner, so I've got that covered.

Looking for something similar to the Hincapie: Versatile, Race-ish fit without being Pro fit second skin, light, can shed minor precip. Fan of Black jackets for their timeless look.

The Assos Mille GT Jacket Ultraz has caught my eye along with Raphas Classic.

Anything else I should be looking at?

madsciencenow
11-02-2019, 10:05 AM
I have a Rapha pro team training jacket that’s a bit less pro team fit, is water resistant and pretty warm w or w/o a base layer. The Rapha stuff with alpha polartec, I’ve the insulated brevet jacket, also works well. The brevet jacket doesn’t have pockets in back while pro team training does. I can ride either of these down into the single digits w short or long sleeve base layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robb
11-02-2019, 10:13 AM
In the market for a new winter jacket. With all of the smaller companies popping up I want to make sure there's nothing I've overlooked.

For reference, I currently use an older Hincapie jacket, Roubaix fabric with windtex front facing panels. It's lightweight, breathable and versatile depending on layers. Sheds minor precip just fine and has been pretty durable.

Issue is that its aging and a little oversized for my current weight. Wet days I use a MW Orion (neoshell) in the same manner, so I've got that covered.

Looking for something similar to the Hincapie: Versatile, Race-ish fit without being Pro fit second skin, light, can shed minor precip. Fan of Black jackets for their timeless look.

The Assos Mille GT Jacket Ultraz has caught my eye along with Raphas Classic.

Anything else I should be looking at?

I too like the look of black jackets BUT Hi-Viz yellow or orange is MUCH more visible to me when I'm driving. Those jackets grab my attention much better than any lights I have seen being used in daylight hours. Since I live just above Gilman Drive which is the main N/S route between San Diego and North County and the Coast Highway I see many cyclists wearing various outfits and using/not using lights every day so my opinion is the result of a pretty large sample.

one60
11-02-2019, 10:58 AM
I have been really satisfied with the kit I've gotten at Galibier CC in the UK. High quality but reasonable prices as they are direct sales only. They have some jackets/jerseys that should work. Being in the UK, they know winter riding pretty well

thwart
11-02-2019, 11:02 AM
I too like the look of black jackets BUT Hi-Viz yellow or orange is MUCH more visible to me when I'm driving. Those jackets grab my attention much better than any lights I have seen being used in daylight hours. Since I live just above Gilman Drive which is the main N/S route between San Diego and North County and the Coast Highway I see many cyclists wearing various outfits and using/not using lights every day so my opinion is the result of a pretty large sample.

This.

Fan of Black jackets for their timeless look.

Then again, death too is timeless...

;)

72gmc
11-02-2019, 11:09 AM
If a jacket in a visibility color is on your list, I like Endura’s line.

The MW Orion looks like a well made piece. I really like their bags and I’m interested in their outerwear—prices and charcoal colourways have kept them out of my closet.

MagicHour
11-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Just ordered one of their Mistral (non-pro model) winter jackets (https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-iv-weather-jacket/), looks promising and many favorable reviews. Hope it fits!
Cool company - I've been wearing a pair of their Surveillance shades recently, that I really like.

I have been really satisfied with the kit I've gotten at Galibier CC in the UK. High quality but reasonable prices as they are direct sales only. They have some jackets/jerseys that should work. Being in the UK, they know winter riding pretty well

OtayBW
11-02-2019, 04:29 PM
I've used a Gore winter jacket for the last few years. Great fit, windproof, water-resistant, good value for the price. That, with the proper base and accoutrements, will get me down as low in temp as I care to ride.

berserk87
11-02-2019, 04:42 PM

;)

That's the quote of the day.

Back to the thread topic, I would recommend checking out Castelli. They have a bunch of nice options that are wind proof and water resistant. I have the Gabba in long and short sleeve options. I had the Motorolo 3 jacket but got rid of it because it was too warm, actually.

Some of the Rapha options are great but your tastes and preferences may vary.

The predominance of ninja colored cycling jackets baffles me. It's the most muted color, yet it seems to be the go-to color cycling jackets. You might not be able to find a particular jacket in neon green, but you can sure as heck find it in black. Seems also to be the last color available on closeouts and end-of-season sales, after the bright colors are sold out.

The visibility issue is a big deal for me. I don't dig black, especially on overcast, gray days in the midwest. Certainly does not help one with being seen by traffic.

Morgul Bismark
11-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Velocio (https://velocio.cc/collections/deep-winter) seems to have a nice line-up with bright colors that actually look nice

R3awak3n
11-02-2019, 05:13 PM
not necessarily a jacket but this thing is awesome and on sale -

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/classic-winter-windblock-jersey/product/WJY10XXBLK

Got me through last winter and I bought another to have 2. Its super warm, I can wear just this (with a merino base layer) till about 30 degrees. If there is any rain I pair it with a rain jacket, if under 30 I add something else as well.

charliedid
11-02-2019, 06:06 PM

This.

;)

The MW Orion looks like a well made piece. I really like their bags and I’m interested in their outerwear—prices and charcoal colourways have kept them out of my closet.

That's the quote of the day.

Back to the thread topic, I would recommend checking out Castelli. They have a bunch of nice options that are wind proof and water resistant. I have the Gabba in long and short sleeve options. I had the Motorolo 3 jacket but got rid of it because it was too warm, actually.

Some of the Rapha options are great but your tastes and preferences may vary.

The predominance of ninja colored cycling jackets baffles me. It's the most muted color, yet it seems to be the go-to color cycling jackets. You might not be able to find a particular jacket in neon green, but you can sure as heck find it in black. Seems also to be the last color available on closeouts and end-of-season sales, after the bright colors are sold out.

The visibility issue is a big deal for me. I don't dig black, especially on overcast, gray days in the midwest. Certainly does not help one with being seen by traffic.

Velocio (https://velocio.cc/collections/deep-winter) seems to have a nice line-up with bright colors that actually look nice

Time for bed grandpa.

FlashUNC
11-02-2019, 06:32 PM
Nobody beats Assos for cold weather gear.

wc1934
11-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Just ordered one of their Mistral (non-pro model) winter jackets (https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-iv-weather-jacket/), looks promising and many favorable reviews. Hope it fits!
Cool company - I've been wearing a pair of their Surveillance shades recently, that I really like.

When it arrives, please provide a review. Thanks.

thwart
11-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Time for bed grandpa.

https://i.gifer.com/OonF.gif

;)

weisan
11-02-2019, 07:00 PM
From my experience, if you have good quality base layer to protect the core, the rest becomes easy or secondary.

Gummee
11-02-2019, 07:21 PM
From my experience, if you have good quality base layer to protect the core, the rest becomes easy or secondary.

This

I ALWAYS start with a mesh base layer, then add more or less on top of that and under the windproof layer depending on the temps

My winter 'jacket' is a windproof front Castelli jersey until it gets below 30f. ...but I run warm when riding, so I typically have on fewer clothes than most people I ride with

M

makoti
11-02-2019, 07:34 PM
It's an older jacket, but I think they've updated it. The Castelli Alpha. Now the ROS, I think. https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/alpha-ros-jacket/p/451750219A-870
I love it so much, I bought two so I could always have one clean. Depending on temps, I can wear it with nothing under it, a SS base, a silk top, or a heavier Craft thermal top. Very wide range of temps for me.

charliedid
11-02-2019, 07:35 PM
https://i.gifer.com/OonF.gif

;)

Leave a beautiful corpse :p

MagicHour
11-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Will do

When it arrives, please provide a review. Thanks.

berserk87
11-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Time for bed grandpa.

What's with the rude comment? Nothing to contribute of value and gotta settle for the insults?

I know that the weather is bad in Chicago, but it's a little early to be getting winter crotchety.

Quoting 5 different people, collectively trying to insult them, and then adding a smiley face emoticon is pretty much classic passive-aggressive. I might recommend Roadbikereview.com for that, if that's your jam. The forumites over there eat that stuff up.

MagicHour
11-02-2019, 07:51 PM
I’m with grandpa. Most of cycling wardrobe is “my favorite color is ‘on sale’”...so a ton of black. Definitely thinking about adding a bit of hi-vis flare where I can lately... along with a bar mirror and daytime blinky.
-<old man waving cane emoji>
Time for bed grandpa.

BobbyJones
11-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Done with class:

I too like the look of black jackets BUT Hi-Viz yellow or orange is MUCH more visible to me when I'm driving. Those jackets grab my attention much better than any lights I have seen being used in daylight hours…..

Not so much:

;)

I suppose if I get plowed down from behind by a speeding, texting, drunk 16 year old you’ll be able to say it was the jacket and you told me so. Thanks for the well wishes!

charliedid
11-02-2019, 08:01 PM
What's with the rude comment? Nothing to contribute of value and gotta settle for the insults?

I know that the weather is bad in Chicago, but it's a little early to be getting winter crotchety.

Quoting 5 different people, collectively trying to insult them, and then adding a smiley face emoticon is pretty much classic passive-aggressive. I might recommend Roadbikereview.com for that, if that's your jam. The forumites over there eat that stuff up.

OP asks for a black jacket and everyone tells him to buy a bright colored one. If I asked to buy a red cannondale would you show me a blue Colnago?

I might recommend white whine with your crab.

:)

charliedid
11-02-2019, 08:03 PM
I’m with grandpa. Most of cycling wardrobe is “my favorite color is ‘on sale’”...so a ton of black. Definitely thinking about adding a bit of hi-vis flare where I can lately... along with a bar mirror and daytime blinky.
-<old man waving cane emoji>

Hey whatever works. I make decisions regarding safety as well but if I order chicken and someone brings me steak I'm sending it back.

MagicHour
11-02-2019, 08:07 PM
:beer:
Hey whatever works. I make decisions regarding safety as well but if I order chicken and someone brings me steak I'm sending it back.

thwart
11-02-2019, 08:15 PM
I suppose if I get plowed down from behind by a speeding, texting, drunk 16 year old you’ll be able to say it was the jacket and you told me so. Thanks for the well wishes!

Sorry.

Just trying to keep the already awful statistics from getting worse.

gasman
11-02-2019, 09:12 PM
Guys let’s just chill, there’s no need for rude or snarky comments. The OP asked for jacket suggestions and he says he likes black. I’m sure he’s aware hi-viz colors are , drum roll, more visible.

I prefer hi-viz, lights, helmets and mirrors but I’m old and fine with my choices but it’s not what he asked about.

Personally if you are looking for a winter jacket in black I’d be hard pressed to improve on an appropriately sized shake-dry and then use different base layers and jerseys depending on the temp under the coat.

roguedog
11-02-2019, 09:32 PM
Hmm... throwing a not so well known option out there though it might be hard to source in the US.

Parentini Vita (http://www.parentini.com/en/462/-/man). I have the Mossa (predecessor) and I like it. Use it down to the 30s with a baselayer and maybe a jersey layer depending on temps. Doesn't typically get colder than 30s though where I am. Keeps me pretty dryish but if it's totally wet, I will use the Chpt 3 K61 jacket I bought from Heisenberg. I love that thing.

Speaking of Chpt 3. There is the J/j (https://chpt3.com/products/chpt-j-j-jersey-jacket-1-62?variant=13609475801162) . I also got from Heisenberg. Doesn't fit me quite as well as the K61 though... so if you're ok with the greyish blue and are a trim 38, pm me.

Not quite sure what weather conditions are whereever you are but my winters are wet and foggy. No snow and temps typically in the 40s and occasionally into the 30s. And of course everyone's comfortable temp range varies.

Best of luck. Charging up my winter lights as I type :/ .. sadness...

Andy340
11-02-2019, 09:56 PM
I have one of these: https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/classic-winter-jacket/product/SJK08XXYEL - comes in black/dark colors too. Excellent jacket, especially if wet/damp.Pit zips are quite useful.

This one is also really good but more suited to cold crisp (ie dry) conditions - https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/winter-jersey/product/WJY09XX - more of a jacket weight than jersey and very comfortable in the low teens (F) with a decent base-layer

happycampyer
11-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Nobody beats Assos for cold weather gear.

This is my vote. And their jackets come in black.

huck*this
11-03-2019, 04:47 AM
This is my vote. And their jackets come in black.

Also is my choice. Their winter stuff is very technical. Lots of different panels and works very well.

IJWS
11-03-2019, 05:36 AM
Cannot lose with something from castelli or assos. Years of technical experience lets them execute jackets for very specific conditions very easily while some of the hipper companies are just trying to bring a jacket or two to market to round out their collections.

I love all-black everything for sure. Riding with my gf showed me the light for hi-vis. She is just 100 times easier to see and keep track of when she has her hi-vis gear on. Some of that must apply to me... I think I’m going to have to break down and buy som hi-vis myself.

floppyb
11-03-2019, 10:06 AM
I have one of these: https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/classic-winter-jacket/product/SJK08XXYEL - comes in black/dark colors too. Excellent jacket, especially if wet/damp.Pit zips are quite useful.

This one is also really good but more suited to cold crisp (ie dry) conditions - https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/winter-jersey/product/WJY09XX - more of a jacket weight than jersey and very comfortable in the low teens (F) with a decent base-layer

+1. Always been happy to pay the "Rapha tax"

BryanE
11-03-2019, 11:11 AM

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/classic-winter-windblock-jersey/product/WJY10XXBLK

Got me through last winter and I bought another to have 2. Its super warm, I can wear just this (with a merino base layer) till about 30 degrees. If there is any rain I pair it with a rain jacket, if under 30 I add something else as well.

Thanks for the heads up I ordered one.

R3awak3n
11-03-2019, 11:13 AM

glad I was able to help. Really is a fantastic piece and surprised they still have pretty much all sizes on sale.

Hope it does you well as well.

Gummee
11-03-2019, 11:38 AM

That winter windproof jersey aka 'jerket' is a lot like my Castelli 'jerket.'

Great stuff if you run warm.

I've had the Assos 851 and couldn't wear it above 30deg. Tried a buddy's Castelli Radiator and it had a wider temp range, but it was still too warm. Had a Gore Phantom 2 and it did OK to warmer temps, but I never took the sleeves off, so sold that too.

Seems my personal key is to have a breathable back. Helps with the 'getting too hot' thing

M

Kirk007
11-03-2019, 12:18 PM
I'm with Gasman - appropriate layers and shell. And if you want hi viz through an Assos sturmprinz in lolly red on.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

fmradio516
11-03-2019, 01:48 PM
i wish i could wear rapha stuff, but it seems like even the XXLs are too tight on me :mad:

cmb5286
11-03-2019, 08:18 PM
I’m a fan of the Rapha Pro Race Cape. I wore mine yesterday on a 70 mile ride with temps ranging from the low 30s up to 45 and it worked great for me. Obviously it’s designed more as a rain jacket, but with a merino base layer and long sleeve jersey, I was comfortable.

Lionel
11-03-2019, 09:36 PM
Regarding winter Jacket with all the so called advances in material I cannot find anything better than my 851 jacket for a cold dry day. This thing is the works.

BobbyJones
11-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Sorry.

Just trying to keep the already awful statistics from getting worse.

Thanks. I know where it's coming from, but it's still an awful thing to say, especially to someone you don't know.

That being said, I appreciate all of the input and some new brands to check out mentioned in this thread.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) with Rapha being the only game in town for "try ons", I may have gather some patience to play the customer service / shipping game with some of the other brands.

Thanks again All!

rwsaunders
11-04-2019, 09:25 PM
I had that same Hincapie jacket years ago and it didn’t breath very well imho...especially when riding in cold temps and putting in some effort. I had the 851 and I agree with Lionel that it excels in cold, dry conditions. For the past few years my go to jackets have been a Rapha Pro Team and a Rapha Winter. I use the PT most of the time...it’s very light, blocks wind and breathes very well. The Winter jacket gets the call for sub-32F rides and on colder rides where I might see some light snow. Serious Winter riders swear allegiance to the Assos Fugujack and having owned one, I concur with their beliefs.

Seamus
11-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Just echoing an earlier endorsement of Castelli's Alpha RoS jacket. I really like mine. Huge range of temperatures depending on what you wear underneath (light baselayer, long sleeve heavier baselayer, short sleeve jersey over baselayer, etc), plus Gabba-like performance in wet conditions.

The inner ventilation layer with zipper seem gimmicky, but works really well in practice to cool off when needed (like when climbing).

Bob Ross
11-05-2019, 05:30 AM
Regarding winter Jacket with all the so called advances in material I cannot find anything better than my 851 jacket for a cold dry day. This thing is the works.
I had the 851 and I agree with Lionel that it excels in cold, dry conditions.

Well, I see my work here is done...

MagicHour
11-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Me too! Thx for the tip R3awak3n - you should be getting a commish or something.

Mini - review. I like it, test ride yesterday morning on the first chilly day in NYC - was perfectly warm @38-41 with only a thin capilene l/s base layer underneath. Fits more like jersey than a jacket, pretty aero w/ no flapping or having to dig under a jacket to access pockets. In essence it's just a fairly thin merino jersey with some windbreaker material sewn to the front half, but happens to work really well.

Still waiting on the Galibier Mistral I mentioned above - which I guess is stuck at customs.

Dired
11-10-2019, 04:38 PM
I recently picked up a 7mesh strategy jacket for about 35 bucks from steep and cheap. This is the first gen 7mesh that looks to be on closeout all around. Excellent windproof shell with soft fleece in the inner upper body and shoulders. Lots of stretch and great rear pockets. Basic grey color. Wore it over a wool base in the 40s and felt great. Recommend.

7mesh Strategy Men's Jacket Ash Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D7CS8RY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_chjYDb2RSW3SX

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk