PDA

View Full Version : Fitbit acquired by Google

benb
11-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Might want to think about what Data Fitbit has on you, it's much more likely to be sold/used for advertising if they're becoming part of google.

I'm deleting my account (requires talking to support).

All my Fitbit hardware broke (multiple times) 5+ years ago and I gave up but never removed my account.

BobbyJones
11-01-2019, 10:34 AM
I'm waiting for Google to buy a company that competes with PillPacks to go full circle.

Then again, I can't help but smile at the fact that we get all up in arms about the data collection, yet we invite devices into our home that literally listen to every word we say.

thegunner
11-01-2019, 10:40 AM
it's much more likely to be sold/used for advertising if they're becoming part of google

that's not how the data collection policy works.

jtakeda
11-01-2019, 11:08 AM
I'm waiting for Google to buy a company that competes with PillPacks to go full circle.

Then again, I can't help but smile at the fact that we get all up in arms about the data collection, yet we invite devices into our home that literally listen to every word we say.

Cancel culture.

Fortunately for me 12ax7 tubes cant listen to anything

Mark McM
11-01-2019, 11:15 AM
I'm deleting my account (requires talking to support).

I wonder if they truly delete your account, or merely deactivate it. There have been cases were companies claimed that accounts were deleted, but weren't actually deleted. A famous example is Ashley Madison, where clients actually paid money for account deletion, but accounts weren't actually deleted.

benb
11-01-2019, 12:57 PM
I'd bet they don't.

I quit facebook about a year and a half ago and asked to have everything deleted.

I wouldn't be surprised if I joined again and they said "would you like to restore your old data."

It's not even Fitbit or Google, I mostly trust Google's security if not their motives. Fitbit probably less.

It's just I wasn't using Fitbit's platform since 2014... no sense in having the account out there just waiting to be compromised.

They always seemed to have good tech support/customer support but between my wife and I we must have had 5 Fitbits break and get replaced under warranty.. at some point we gave up.

Smartphones are good enough for step tracking and don't seem to break.. for serious stuff despite all the complaints I haven't broken any Garmins the way Fitbits died in < 1 year for us.

Mikej
11-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Great I just used the last of my tin foil.

msriddle
11-01-2019, 06:53 PM
We have a nest thermostat and I was looking for a remote temp sensor. I quickly learned that google now owns nest.

charliedid
11-01-2019, 07:08 PM
I'd bet they don't.

I quit facebook about a year and a half ago and asked to have everything deleted.

I wouldn't be surprised if I joined again and they said "would you like to restore your old data."

It's not even Fitbit or Google, I mostly trust Google's security if not their motives. Fitbit probably less.

It's just I wasn't using Fitbit's platform since 2014... no sense in having the account out there just waiting to be compromised.

They always seemed to have good tech support/customer support but between my wife and I we must have had 5 Fitbits break and get replaced under warranty.. at some point we gave up.

Smartphones are good enough for step tracking and don't seem to break.. for serious stuff despite all the complaints I haven't broken any Garmins the way Fitbits died in < 1 year for us.

How is FitBit data compromised? I mean who cares if someone else knows how much you walk around and what your heart rate is?

Help me understand?

Louis
11-01-2019, 07:32 PM
I mean who cares if someone else knows how much you walk around and what your heart rate is?

Help me understand?

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I would think that someone who's making health care or health insurance decisions for or about you may be quite interested in that sort of data.

Here are some examples: https://nyti.ms/2jEboTD

Among other things, they mention the notorious case of Target (the store) accurately predicting based on her purchases that a teen-aged customer was pregnant before her father knew that she was.

zmalwo
11-01-2019, 07:40 PM
If the government/private companies want to spy on me they are more than welcome to. 1st of all I'm not important. 2nd of all wait until they see all the dirty things I do on my electronics :p

charliedid
11-01-2019, 07:49 PM
I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I would think that someone who's making health care or health insurance decisions for or about you may be quite interested in that sort of data.

Among other things, they mention the notorious case of Target (the store) accurately predicting based on her purchases that a teen-aged customer was pregnant before her father knew that she was.

Yeah I guess.

Maybe after 500,000 steps you start getting ads from shoe companies.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2019, 05:35 AM
Great I just used the last of my tin foil.

No kidding:)...if yer 'on line', your 'data' is being mined...too late now too..to try to go 'off grid'..the 'grid' is everywhere and you have already been assimilated..

floppyb
11-02-2019, 01:40 PM

I remember hearing that story and for the first time truly understanding just how valuable my data, etc could be to companies.

mj_michigan
11-02-2019, 04:10 PM
Think about car companies knowing how fast you have been driving, how aggressive you break, etc. Wouldn't insurance companies want to have this data? Tesla brought all this to an entirely new level, presumably collecting much more info for the purpose of enhancing their Autopilot, and owners seem to be quite content with it. I have no idea what users agreement they have signed with Tesla about data collections and use, if any.

the bottle ride
11-02-2019, 04:44 PM
that's not how the data collection policy works.

He is right-
If it had been Facebook that bought Fitbit it would be a different story.

Google does not sell their data on users even to the largest advertisers (their largest clients )- they share more “trend data” on consumers: not saying it is good or bad, but you are more likely to get ad’s served to you of stuff you might want

tigoat
11-03-2019, 07:01 AM
Don't like this news at all. Google is already a mega player in the industry and I think they should be prevented from globing up the smaller guys. Fitbit, Garmin, Wahoo, etc. should be independently competing with one another, which is good for us.

Seramount
11-03-2019, 08:20 AM
digital privacy...?

ha ha...good one.