PDA

View Full Version : LOOK ERGO-STEM..is it safe??

CarlosContreros
05-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey!
Does anybody use the Look Ergo-Stem and can it be trusted by
someone who weighs close to 200lbs.??
I think it's adjustability would be a lot of "fun" to play around with and
try and find my "ideal" position but with it's dual joints I wonder if
it can be trusted when being "loaded"?
Thanks! :cool:

Needs Help
05-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Don't forget Ritchey's...and it's only $80.

RDP
05-11-2004, 12:27 AM
I've used the Look Ergo stem for over three years and have experienced no durability problems with them (I have the conventional bar clamp version--threaded and threadless). The stem appears overbuilt and is heavy (400+ grams for the weight conscious).

After getting one I became accustomed to the ease with which I could alter my position. It is now standard equipment on all my bikes (even cross) and I feel confident using them racing or riding (Many years ago I experienced a catastrophic failure using a oversize cro-mo stem that broke at the handlebar clamp). Chris Boardman used the ergo on his time trial bikes in 94' or 95' and I have seen photos of French track riders racing with them.

The stem is great for dual purpose setups (road and time trial) and for tweaking your position on a new bike. However, keep in mind that the stem does not adjust an infinite amount given the variances of your handlebar, cables, and position, etc. Bottom line is that the ergo's adjustability has served me well.

-R

Too Tall
05-11-2004, 06:26 AM
It is safe with one cautionary note. The ERGO stems I've worked on require a very specific torque value. Using a torque wrench is highly recommended.

CarlosContreros
05-11-2004, 09:02 AM
RDP..sorry to hear about your "catastrophic failure"! Obviously never
a good thing but especially bad when on two wheels!
See...I guess even an oversized conventional stem is not a guarantee
that something bad won't happen!
I'm largely concerned with "flex"..but I use wide bars and feel "flex" with
them.
TooTall.....I don't own a torque wrench..I guess if I go for this stem I should look at buying one.
I do know that you aren't supposed to make adjustments unless the bolts
are completely unscrewed(so as to minimize wear on internals).
CC

RDP
05-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Your bars will flex before the stem does...if that is your concern. The clamp area (on the older model) is thick. I use Deda 215 44s & 46cm bars and the combination feels tight & solid @ 165+.

good luck,

-R

zap
05-11-2004, 09:28 AM
My KG196 came with the Ergostem. I've used it for 10 years now and it is by far the stiffest stem/headset assembly I've ever used.

Torque values on the stem are important. You need a torque wrench because the torque values a very high. Short 6mm allen keys just don't give you the leverage needed to tighten the bolts to 25Nm.

FlaRider
05-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Carlos,

I have Look Ergo stem that I used once or twice somewhere in my garage that I could sell to you for about $100 if you're interested. In live in Miami and could show it to you if you live close by. Please e-mail me at raguilar@akerman.com if you're interested.

Rafael Aguilar

CarlosContreros
05-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the info zap!!
That might explain my problems with one I tried,
I would think I was nowhere near where I should have been in concern
to tightening the bolts. I have always lately been rather "light handed"
in regards to cinching down components because in the past I have
snapped seat bolts and also some stems as well!
I have a "star tool" and I can really tighten something down with it..I
have just been in fear of breaking the darn thing!!

Thanks for the offer Rafael! I just picked one up that came on a
very old, very used bike...it's a threaded version and I have a threaded
F-1, so it's a "fit" there.
If someone sees mine and has an interest I will keep you in mind.
I live about 3 hours north of you but I do go to Plantation quite often
in pursuit of another hobby.
CC