PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try Hambini BB’s ?

Clancy
11-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Came across this guy’s YouTube channel. Entertaining to say the least.

Anyone using his BB’s? Thoughts?

Any thoughts on his opinions? Which he has a lot of!

The problem with YouTube and internet in general. Hard to discern who’s credible and who’s full of it.

bicycletricycle
11-01-2019, 10:28 AM
I cannot speak to his business practices but his product is a good idea. The problem with deciding if you would benefit from one is all of the variables. What Frame type, crank type , are you having B.B. problems, etc. Some combination can benefit much more from his B.B. than others.

corky
11-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Ham I i can be found hanging out on weightweenies forum....a lot of experience there.

Given that his BBS are mostly always sold out, I would say they work.

His Videos are v.entertaining, as long as you don’t mind the swearing.

mcteague
11-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Ham I i can be found hanging out on weightweenies forum....a lot of experience there.

And his opinion on SRAM is interesting. He says the designs are ok but manufacturing tolerances are crap. He’s not a fan of Zipp wheels either. Still, from what I can tell, his engineering chops are solid.

Tim

ryker
11-01-2019, 02:33 PM
His content is interesting. I tune out when the engineering ends and the roasting begins ... it seems a bit much coming from a guy who uses his engineering skills to build weapons Monday-Friday.

bicycletricycle
11-01-2019, 03:04 PM
You know where he works?

His content is interesting. I tune out when the engineering ends and the roasting begins ... it seems a bit much coming from a guy who uses his engineering skills to build weapons Monday-Friday.

GonaSovereign
11-01-2019, 05:30 PM
The way he digs into others' products, I'll assume his bottom brackets are the greatest thing yet created by humans.

mcteague
11-01-2019, 06:12 PM
The way he digs into others' products, I'll assume his bottom brackets are the greatest thing yet created by humans.

He rates Shimano highly and thinks Campy is okay, as mentioned, SRAM gets a big thumbs down. His major gripe is poor manufacturing tolerances. That, and wheel companies with poor understanding of real world aerodynamics.

Tim

jm714
11-01-2019, 07:09 PM
He didn’t seem to like Shimano hubs from what I saw in his review.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2019, 05:55 AM

Couldn't find any links..what companies and what 'weapons'...

Clancy
11-02-2019, 06:15 AM
Couldn't find any links..what companies and what 'weapons'...

His website

https://www.hambini.com/

No idea about his day job and weapons

glepore
11-02-2019, 06:58 AM
He's an aero engineer with an aerospace company. He's mentioned it in his videos and some of his blogs...

jamesdak
11-02-2019, 07:43 AM

And that matters why?

oldpotatoe
11-02-2019, 07:59 AM
And that matters why?

Guess my point.' Aerospace' doesn't automatically ='weapon', but so what. That's the reality and a LOT of great technology has come out of weapons research..unfortunate I guess, but true. We wouldn't be at the level of 'aerospace' tech, vehicles, etc w/o the major conflicts starting with WW1.

ryker
11-02-2019, 10:01 AM
He mentions his day job in his content, fighter jet systems IIRC.

My point is if you repeatedly describe bike industry engineers as a specs of **** on the anus of humanity -- as a result of second-rate engineering at worst -- then I'll consider it in view of your own record. His record doesn't look too hot.

corky
11-02-2019, 11:49 AM
But his solutions to crap frame tolerances are quite effective and I think a lot of his humour goes right over some peoples heads.

And he may be a non cycling engineer but he is a cyclist. And there aren’t too many people happy to call out companies for poor engineering....

jamesdak
11-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Guess my point.' Aerospace' doesn't automatically ='weapon', but so what. That's the reality and a LOT of great technology has come out of weapons research..unfortunate I guess, but true. We wouldn't be at the level of 'aerospace' tech, vehicles, etc w/o the major conflicts starting with WW1.

Yep, so much truth here.

Duende
11-02-2019, 12:04 PM
I appreciate his vids. He does point out quite a bit of marketing BS and inflated pricing which is a good POV to have. Shreds on Ceramic speed, and misguided aerodynamic cycling hype

floppyb
11-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Definitely good at cutting through a lot of the industry BS, but at the same time, certainly has his own POV that has its own certain slant. Like most things, gotta take it with a grain of salt.

zmalwo
11-02-2019, 01:50 PM
While his perspective on the bike industry might be accurate, but his solution to the press fit BB problem is no different than any other aftermarket BB solutions out there. He overly emphasize his own product.

corky
11-02-2019, 03:11 PM
While his perspective on the bike industry might be accurate, but his solution to the press fit BB problem is no different than any other aftermarket BB solutions out there. He overly emphasize his own product.

Well he’s not going to recommend somebody else’s is he?

m4rk540
11-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Hambini is 5 years old and he was banned from Weight Weenies. A true original.

mcteague
11-03-2019, 06:38 AM
His latest video. Warning: not for the easily offended!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc37Ab8B580

This is what he puts on each PowerPoint he uses, so, he gets the joke.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2019, 07:46 AM

The guy is really impressed, with himself. Hope he does fairly minor engineering on aircraft, or if he doesn’t, probably be one of those, ‘why did they design it like that??’, saw that more than once on military aircraft designed by non aviators.

His dropout tool is a POS..too much slop in dropout ends plus oughta have a hole for a skewer..:eek:

But, he’s ‘entertaining’, I guess...small ‘e’...

charliedid
11-03-2019, 07:47 AM

That guy is the best.

mcteague
11-03-2019, 08:27 AM
The guy is really impressed, with himself. Hope he does fairly minor engineering on aircraft, or if he doesn’t, probably be one of those, ‘why did they design it like that??’, saw that more than once on military aircraft designed by non aviators.

His dropout tool is a POS..too much slop in dropout ends plus oughta have a hole for a skewer..:eek:

But, he’s ‘entertaining’, I guess...small ‘e’...

Yeah , I scratched my head a bit over his dropout tool. Looked way too easy to get misalignment. Still, I get a kick out of him.

Tim

floppyb
11-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Hambini is 5 years old and he was banned from Weight Weenies. A true original.

Ha, did not know he got banned from there. He's a polarizing figure for sure.

John H.
11-03-2019, 10:16 AM
If you have ridden PF30 bikes and also GXP stuff you can look back in your memories and see that what he preaches is true.

I have some Specialized PF30 bikes that absolutely ate through bearings- Same for GXP. All the load is on the left side.

adub
11-03-2019, 10:36 AM
He is spot on with his assessment of GXP

cgates66
11-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Hambini's major claims (ground-level flow is turbulent, not laminar, exaggerating aero claims in many environments; cycling aero has a heavy amount of marketing-based engineering that looks cool but is useless; ceramic bearings have a very narrow range of use in cycling; manufacturing tolerances are often egregiously poor; and there is plenty of dodgy design and marketing) seem accurate to me or can be easily verified, and mimic my experiences pretty well.

His engineering work appears to extend beyond aerospace - he claims work in F1 on turbos, and work with some world tour cycling teams.

His discussions on aero, bearings and bearing design also present a great jumping-off point for further study. Led me to discover, and do some computations that helped understand why, the bearing design in the rear hub of one of my wheels presents more drag and led one of the two main bearings to begin to degrade faster. I think he's a very good lecturer if you work past the bombast. His presentations are clear, well illustrated and logically extensible.

I think he brings a lot to the discussion on cycling.

oldpotatoe
11-04-2019, 06:37 AM
Hambini's major claims (ground-level flow is turbulent, not laminar, exaggerating aero claims in many environments; cycling aero has a heavy amount of marketing-based engineering that looks cool but is useless; ceramic bearings have a very narrow range of use in cycling; manufacturing tolerances are often egregiously poor; and there is plenty of dodgy design and marketing) seem accurate to me or can be easily verified, and mimic my experiences pretty well.

His engineering work appears to extend beyond aerospace - he claims work in F1 on turbos, and work with some world tour cycling teams.

His discussions on aero, bearings and bearing design also present a great jumping-off point for further study. Led me to discover, and do some computations that helped understand why, the bearing design in the rear hub of one of my wheels presents more drag and led one of the two main bearings to begin to degrade faster. I think he's a very good lecturer if you work past the bombast. His presentations are clear, well illustrated and logically extensible.

Too bad he puts many off in the first 30 seconds of his bombast. Too bad he's not smart enough to realize he would have a much bigger audience if he put the 'with the big bazookas' stuff away. :eek:

"Very good lecturer", I think because of his 'bombast', he's a very poor lecturer..'why do I swear so much', I don't, you ought to hear'.......fail...

hambini
11-05-2019, 06:18 AM
While I may not be everybody's cup of tea and clearly not yours. I do respect your opinion and the addition of a QR on my alignment gauge is a good idea so I will do that.

What I get from your posts is just a general dislike of what is run of the mill British Humour in an engineering environment. That is not for everybody and if you don't like it, then you can always use the back button.

My YouTube channel is run the way I want to. I don't care for hits or popularity.

I do it for myself and if people want to watch then great. Whilst you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, I'm not going to follow it because it would turn me into a boring ba$tard sucking up to every marketing man's vision of fleecing the cyclist.

Measuring my intelligence by the first 30 seconds of a youtube video is I'm sure a very rigorous method.

Thanks

Hambini

mcteague
11-05-2019, 06:33 AM
Welcome aboard Hambini!:banana:

Tim

oldpotatoe
11-05-2019, 06:42 AM
While I may not be everybody's cup of tea and clearly not yours. I do respect your opinion and the addition of a QR on my alignment gauge is a good idea so I will do that.

What I get from your posts is just a general dislike of what is run of the mill British Humour in an engineering environment. That is not for everybody and if you don't like it, then you can always use the back button.

My YouTube channel is run the way I want to. I don't care for hits or popularity.

I do it for myself and if people want to watch then great. Whilst you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, I'm not going to follow it because it would turn me into a boring ba$tard sucking up to every marketing man's vision of fleecing the cyclist.

Measuring my intelligence by the first 30 seconds of a youtube video is I'm sure a very rigorous method.

Thanks

Hambini

Not at all..I have no knowledge or experience with 'classic British humor in an engineering environment'..you sound more like talking to a bunch of sailors when on liberty. PLUS, on youtube..seeking an audience.

Yup, I'm making a comment, not directing you to so anything in any way..your channel, your gig but, IMHO, you could still be a great counter to those who are " boring ba$tards sucking up to every marketing man's vision of fleecing the cyclist"...just w/o the "big bazookas" part..
In MY Humble Opinion..

BTW-I agree with your opinions on the 3 bike component groups. I spent a lot of time in the bike shop 'trenches', and yup, bike stuff and frame design, and execution can be really gooned up.

wallymann
11-05-2019, 10:23 AM
"Very good lecturer", I think because of his 'bombast', he's a very poor lecturer..'why do I swear so much', I don't, you ought to hear'.......fail...

agree. dude is clearly intelligent and cursing is fine -- i turn the air blue quite regularly when called-for. but hambini's level is just too indulgent and pointless.

CAAD
11-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Hambini always entertaining to watch. Subscribed. Also, the trick with removing a stuck seatpost is great. I wish you made a T47 bb. Ended up going with a Chris King unit in my latest build.

Kingfisher
11-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Hambini always entertaining to watch. Subscribed. Also, the trick with removing a stuck seatpost is great. I wish you made a T47 bb. Ended up going with a Chris King unit in my latest build.

Agreed, just watched the video above. Neat trick for stuck seatpost. I'm in it for useful information and he delivers that. subscribed.

bicycletricycle
11-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Welcome Hambini, I love the humor on the channel and I really appreciate you taking your time to share the details of your thought process and results of your research. As far as I am concerned, don't change a thing.

Thanks

Hambini

RKW
11-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Came across this guy’s YouTube channel. Entertaining to say the least.

Anyone using his BB’s? Thoughts?

Any thoughts on his opinions? Which he has a lot of!

The problem with YouTube and internet in general. Hard to discern who’s credible and who’s full of it.

Yes. They're great. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but you can look at it with a micrometer and it's done properly.

@hambini needs to make a BSA BB, but judging by his last video, that's in the works.

bicycletricycle
11-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Out of curiosity, what do you think he can bring to the BSA market?

Edit BSC, I used to just refer to it as an English
I think the BMX kids call it euro.

Yes. They're great. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but you can look at it with a micrometer and it's done properly.

@hambini needs to make a BSA BB, but judging by his last video, that's in the works.

Clancy
11-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Out of curiosity, what do you think he can bring to the BSA market?

Excellent question! Pretty flooded market.

jpritchet74
11-05-2019, 04:55 PM
I had never heard of Hambini before this thread and I am loving his YouTube videos. Definitely not PC, but neither am I. I love the humor and as an engineer I love the tech side greatly.

Welcome to the Forum!

zzy
11-05-2019, 06:51 PM
Hambini is a nice antidote to the endless empty marketing hype that surrounds bicycle engineering. But he's too much for me as he talks exactly like an English mechanic I used to work with and we'd nearly come to blows once a week.

e - his beef with FLO wheels was hilarious and I love when people call out rebanded chinese junk, which is becoming far too common

jbay
11-05-2019, 06:55 PM
Out of curiosity, what do you think he can bring to the BSA market?He will forever have my gratitude if he can kill off references to B.S.A., in relation to bottom brackets, entirely!

The correct designation is B.S.C. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Cycle), for British Standard Cycle. Yes, my mom had a B.S.A. (Birmingham Small Arms) bicycle, but it uses a standard B.S.C. bottom bracket.

— John

Clancy
11-05-2019, 07:18 PM
He will forever have my gratitude if he can kill off references to B.S.A., in relation to bottom brackets, entirely!

The correct designation is B.S.C. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Cycle), for British Standard Cycle. Yes, my mom had a B.S.A. (Birmingham Small Arms) bicycle, but it uses a standard B.S.C. bottom bracket.

— John

Interesting because I agree with you except I was taught it was BCS for British Cycling Standard. I’ll see if I can’t dig through some old books but somewhere along the line it was twisted around to BSA which although not historically accurate is universally accepted.

And agree Hambini can be quite profane although in broad terms, so can much of everyday British language compared to U.S. and certainly British humor more profane than American. I find his videos entertaining and certainly educational.

Hope he sticks around here and speaks up on topics. I enjoy (and learn a lot) from detailed analysis from a person with credible experience. There’s a lot of misinformation given out around here along with a lot of opinions, virtually all of it well intended but often conflicting information. Although Hambini sprouts out some strongly worded opinions, when you strip them down, they’re detailed analysis.

Edit, clicked on your link and indeed I was wrong, BSC it is, thanks for that link.

FriarQuade
11-05-2019, 08:45 PM

I would put a tener that it's because he doesn't make that many. In one of his vids he shows the machine he uses to make them, a manual bench top lathe. While a good operator can produce great results with that machine they aren't going to make them quickly by modern standards. Add a day job and a a youtube channel to maintain and it's pretty easy to run out of time to make parts.

jbay
11-05-2019, 09:32 PM
somewhere along the line it was twisted around to BSA which although not historically accurate is universally accepted.I can understand someone confusing them and making a once-off mistake, but I am taken aback at how quickly B.S.A. seems to have become the de facto “standard” abbreviation. Perhaps that is fitting, though, in an ironic fashion, given how bottom brackets have been evolving (and I use the term loosely) over the last decade or so.

— John

hambini
11-06-2019, 02:37 AM
Firstly, thankyou all for the warm welcome.

I didn't ever really feel a need to make a threaded bottom bracket until one of the teams I supplied asked for one. They were quite adamant they wanted to ride on a Hambini BB.

So I started to develop one. I can't really add anything to the party in terms of geometry as the boundary dimensions are all well defined. The only thing I could bring are material and bearing improvements.

It would be a complete mistruth if I said my threaded BB's presented a technical improvement over what is already out there - they would not. It would be total bollox.

And Friarquade is quite right. I can't put out more than about 20 a week. Shimano can churn that out in less than a minute.

Thanks again

Hambini

Mark McM
11-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Interesting because I agree with you except I was taught it was BCS for British Cycling Standard. I’ll see if I can’t dig through some old books but somewhere along the line it was twisted around to BSA which although not historically accurate is universally accepted.

I wonder how many bottom brackets today are BSA (or BSC), or are they actually ISO? The standards are very similar - BSA is 1.370" x 24 tpi, while ISO is 1.375" x 24 tpi.

Blue Jays
11-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the Paceline discussion forum, Hambini.
I found the videos to be informative and entertaining.

maxim809
05-08-2020, 06:46 PM
I just discovered that Hambini took down many of his BB installation videos where he exposed manufacturing out-of-spec issues, and he is apparently getting sued by Cycling Weekly.

And I had to learn about this through DurianRider. Wow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d62JkixKGyc

Edit: I see... I'm learning about the potential sexual harassment. Not cool but I'm not gonna judge without any evidence since everything around this is seemingly getting censored, and quite frankly I don't even want to go there. But it's just a shame I can't review the engineering videos that provided evidence of poor BB alignment on some high-end frames.

nickl
05-08-2020, 07:55 PM
Quite surprising Hambini wasn't sued long ago. Anyone that bluntly takes on major industry names as he does usually gets stifled fairly quickly since the companies criticized typically have lawyers to do their bidding. Right or wrong these entities have deep pockets and can put an individual into financial ruin very quickly. This is one reason why you will seldom see a major publication do an honest critique of badly designed, poor quality or overpriced products.

maxim809
05-08-2020, 08:41 PM
Quite surprising Hambini wasn't sued long ago. Anyone that bluntly takes on major industry names as he does usually gets stifled fairly quickly since the companies criticized typically have lawyers to do their bidding. Right or wrong these entities have deep pockets and can put an individual into financial ruin very quickly. This is one reason why you will seldom see a major publication do an honest critique of badly designed, poor quality or overpriced products.

Yes absolutely true. Read one too many modern day bike review and it's difficult to ignore that everyone thinks everything rides the best. Like most people, I'm thirsty for honesty and the only way to get it is behind closed doors, or these small windows where people like Hambini tempts fate.

soulspinner
05-09-2020, 08:02 AM

I follow for the humor and tolerances. Entertaining to a degree.

oldpotatoe
05-09-2020, 08:06 AM

I guess the question for me is, would he have been sued if he didn't harass the female CyclingWeekly interviewer?
I'm guessing the CyclingWeekly producers felt that an interview with Hambini was worthwhile..or did they send the woman in there to set Hambini up? Don't know....

Robot870
05-09-2020, 08:11 AM
Welcome Hambini!! Keep tellin it like it is!

dancinkozmo
05-09-2020, 08:24 AM
he called out the cycling weekly reporter for writing seriously flawed article(s) about technical matters she had no expertise in ...dont see how thats harassment

BRad704
05-09-2020, 09:12 AM
Anyone that bluntly takes on major industry names as he does usually gets stifled fairly quickly since the companies criticized typically have lawyers to do their bidding.

Cervelo has entered the chat
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlashUNC
05-09-2020, 10:44 AM
he called out the cycling weekly reporter for writing seriously flawed article(s) about technical matters she had no expertise in ...dont see how thats harassment

He mocked her vagina in the video. It was gross even by Hambini standards. Then ran a 15 minute video explaining why his verbal abuse was okay.

If he had simply stuck to the technical merits of his argument, he'd have been fine. Instead he had to compare her genitals to an engineering standard for a cheap joke that wasn't even funny.

jb_11
05-09-2020, 11:03 AM
He mocked her vagina in the video. It was gross even by Hambini standards. Then ran a 15 minute video explaining why his verbal abuse was okay.

If he had simply stuck to the technical merits of his argument, he'd have been fine. Instead he had to compare her genitals to an engineering standard for a cheap joke that wasn't even funny.

Thank you. I was just about to say the same.

charliedid
05-09-2020, 11:12 AM
What a Tool...

Clancy
05-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Completely uncalled for and served no purpose. Very sorry to hear. To demean a woman just for a laugh or to make himself just that much more shocking or noticed is particularly sad.

I always felt just a tad uncomfortable with his unnecessary language. This recent behavior is plenty good enough reason to pull the plug on him.

Sadly, it will most certainly make him more popular.

R3awak3n
05-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Thats where the dude went wrong. He went too far. And that is the problem with his videos but always why everyone likes him... If Hambini stuck to the engineering he would have a third of the subs on youtube, it is what it is.

I do think he knows what he is talking about most of the time and also think its good to put people on their place sometimes (and by that I mean call out companies that are making crappy products and they will NOT stand behind them), however there are many ways of doing so and his way is not always the correct way. And I am fine with using slurs and a bunch of stuff but you gotta have a line that you do not cross and he crossed it this time, multiple times.

If I was him, I would just apologize, learn from the situation and move on.

charliedid
05-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Completely uncalled for and served no purpose. Very sorry to hear. To demean a woman just for a laugh or to make himself just that much more shocking or noticed is particularly sad.

I always felt just a tad uncomfortable with his unnecessary language. This recent behavior is plenty good enough reason to pull the plug on him.

Sadly, it will most certainly make him more popular.

Thats where the dude went wrong. He went too far. And that is the problem with his videos but always why everyone likes him... If Hambini stuck to the engineering he would have a third of the subs on youtube, it is what it is.

I do think he knows what he is talking about most of the time and also think its good to put people on their place sometimes (and by that I mean call out companies that are making crappy products and they will NOT stand behind them), however there are many ways of doing so and his way is not always the correct way. And I am fine with using slurs and a bunch of stuff but you gotta have a line that you do not cross and he crossed it this time, multiple times.

If I was him, I would just apologize, learn from the situation and move on.

Well said both of you.

My comment just seems stupid...

mdeth1313
05-09-2020, 12:17 PM
Many people here are also on the WW forum and this is how it goes (sometimes worse), which is why he's been banned on and off over there.

pasadena
05-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Hambini!
Pretty cool to see you on this forum. I've been watching your vids before Dark Install was active on YT! What happened to him? I guess he got too happy, nothing to complain about:p

Thanks

Hambini

Old School
05-09-2020, 01:38 PM

EXACTLY. She is a very attractive hypocrite.

FlashUNC
05-09-2020, 02:27 PM

When he's slagging Cervelo's or Open's horrid QC, did he ever make a joke about Gerard Vroomen's penis size? Did he "jokingly" question what it'd be like to have sex with Gerard Vroomen?

If so, then yeah, he's being an "equal opportunity insulter." If not (and the answer is not) then he's being misogynistic and a needless creep and incredibly sloppy in his commentary. And that's the most charitable reading of the situation.

For a guy who demands better from the cycling industry in how they engineer products, only seems fair to demand better from him in his commentary.

batman1425
05-09-2020, 03:06 PM

Since when does challenging someone point of view in an interview give them carte blanche to respond with sexist and demeaning comments? This behavior is never acceptable, and blaming it on some kind of cultural and industrial norm is BS. So if I have a british sense of humor it's ok for me to be sexists too?

He can use whatever ruler he wants to justify it to himself. That doesn't make it right.

jb_11
05-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Again, well said Flash.

Old School I'll assume you haven't read what the controversy is about. Hint, it's not about her engineering acumen.

charliedid
05-09-2020, 04:47 PM

Does her attractiveness inform her hypocrisy or does her hypocrisy inform her attractiveness? Or is that just an old school compliment?

Sigh

pasadena
05-09-2020, 05:18 PM
He is an equal opportunity insulter.

I remember one time he did set up a poll on whether he should tone down the language or stay the course.
I said it was more effective to loose the salt, and more people would take it on board. But I was in the minority.

He has a ton of knowledge and calls out a lot of b.s. that passes as 'fact' or 'user error' or anything but the actual problem.

Having followed his videos for quite some time, I am confident that he is not a misogynist. He assaults any and all with equal venom. I don't think it helps him and in this case, got called on it.

What Cycling Weekly never addresses is the crux of Hambini's video- which was calling out the phoney science and nonsense. But that got lost, which was also the point of it.

Cycling Weekly is also being very hypocritical because they did something worse. They visited a local club, took a photo of a member and called her " the token female". Everyone else in the club was called by name: like a human being. This was IN PRINT.

This was a private citizen, with no public forum, and it was a printed publication. I think that's outrageous and very insulting.

If you hold CW to the same standard, than you should boycott them too.

The PR game that Hambini fell into is to address this journalist's baiting, and not the real issue he was addressing in the video.
He should have apologized and kept the focus on what CW and those journalists did in their video.

When he's slagging Cervelo's or Open's horrid QC, did he ever make a joke about Gerard Vroomen's penis size? Did he "jokingly" question what it'd be like to have sex with Gerard Vroomen?

If so, then yeah, he's being an "equal opportunity insulter." If not (and the answer is not) then he's being misogynistic and a needless creep and incredibly sloppy in his commentary. And that's the most charitable reading of the situation.

For a guy who demands better from the cycling industry in how they engineer products, only seems fair to demand better from him in his commentary.

mtechnica
05-09-2020, 05:29 PM
I think Hambini's message gets lost in his personal insults at times.

maxim809
05-09-2020, 07:11 PM
This is such a lesson in that when you are young and new with something truly unique to offer and really nothing to lose, you can get away with a style that constantly steps over the line. However, once you reach critical-mass you're eventually going to step on a landmine and you can risk everything you've developed.

Would have been good to have toned it down as the number of subscribers began snowballing. The biggest wake-up call should have been when Hambini was featured on GCN. But perhaps he is just easily excitable and the attitude follows suit. :(

My dog goes wild when Hambini shouts out to his fans during his intros.

FlashUNC
05-09-2020, 08:24 PM
He is an equal opportunity insulter.

I remember one time he did set up a poll on whether he should tone down the language or stay the course.
I said it was more effective to loose the salt, and more people would take it on board. But I was in the minority.

He has a ton of knowledge and calls out a lot of b.s. that passes as 'fact' or 'user error' or anything but the actual problem.

Having followed his videos for quite some time, I am confident that he is not a misogynist. He assaults any and all with equal venom. I don't think it helps him and in this case, got called on it.

What Cycling Weekly never addresses is the crux of Hambini's video- which was calling out the phoney science and nonsense. But that got lost, which was also the point of it.

Cycling Weekly is also being very hypocritical because they did something worse. They visited a local club, took a photo of a member and called her " the token female". Everyone else in the club was called by name: like a human being. This was IN PRINT.

This was a private citizen, with no public forum, and it was a printed publication. I think that's outrageous and very insulting.

If you hold CW to the same standard, than you should boycott them too.

The PR game that Hambini fell into is to address this journalist's baiting, and not the real issue he was addressing in the video.
He should have apologized and kept the focus on what CW and those journalists did in their video.

He said a dumb, terrible thing and instead of apologizing, he doubled down why it isn't a problem. "I treat everyone with similar disdain" is neither true nor an acceptable defense. You can't excuse it by saying ng you're an awful person, that still makes you wrong and self-admittedly an awful person.

If he had apologized and shown even the slightest contrition, this would all have blown over and he could have gone back to his slide decks and his desktop rants.

But he didn't. And these are the consequences.

And bringing up anything terrible Cycling Weekly has done in other instances, while worth scorn in its own right, is neither here nor there in relation to what Hambini said about one particular staffer.

Old School
05-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Again, well said Flash.

Old School I'll assume you haven't read what the controversy is about. Hint, it's not about her engineering acumen.

Well apparently I was out riding my bike and missed a video. Now that I have heard what the subject matter is, I hope it has a powerpoint illustration.

elliott
05-09-2020, 09:06 PM
I think it's time to lock this thread up.

oldpotatoe
05-10-2020, 05:44 AM

You need to read the other posts about this hack and when he rants about her vagina..you wondering what that has to do with bikes? Me too..:eek:

pooneej
05-10-2020, 06:19 AM
I think it's time to lock this thread up.

Or just a redirect -

How big of a difference would a $$$ high end BB make? I'm putting together a build and was just going to go with a dura ace BB but then see Chris King or these hambini BBs at 5x+ the price

Worth it? - probably like a lot of things subjective to a normal rec rider like me whereas a pro might find those differences matter.

Just curious? ( I ended up going with a rotor BB bc I cheaped out and bought a 3d rotor crankset on closeout lol)

R3awak3n
05-10-2020, 07:04 AM
Or just a redirect -

How big of a difference would a $$$ high end BB make? I'm putting together a build and was just going to go with a dura ace BB but then see Chris King or these hambini BBs at 5x+ the price

Worth it? - probably like a lot of things subjective to a normal rec rider like me whereas a pro might find those differences matter.

Just curious? ( I ended up going with a rotor BB bc I cheaped out and bought a 3d rotor crankset on closeout lol)

dunno about hambini but with CK you get customer service and that might be worth the 5x the asking price to some. CK has excellent CS and I think all their bearings have a life time warranty so that might be the last BB you will buy for that bike.

oldpotatoe
05-10-2020, 07:10 AM
Or just a redirect -

Worth is such a big word..hard to say what's 'worth it' to you. What you buy with big $ after market BBs is NOT riding performance but reliability/noise/longevity/etc. BUT, shimano BBs installed on properly prepped frames last a long time too.

NHAero
05-10-2020, 07:38 AM
I don't know about current Dura Ace BBs, but I do have a number of Shimano square taper BBs still going strong and smooth as ever in a couple of bikes that have had hard usage over the years, Hard to imagine they are cheaping out these days.

batman1425
05-10-2020, 02:07 PM
Worth is such a big word..hard to say what's 'worth it' to you. What you buy with big $ after market BBs is NOT riding performance but reliability/noise/longevity/etc. BUT, shimano BBs installed on properly prepped frames last a long time too.

^^^ This. If a cheap one is quiet and lasts a reasonable number of miles in your frame, why spend more? Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had to put anything other than a standard in any threaded frame I've owned and never had a problem - shimano, sram, and campy included.

PF on the other hand... I'll always put a WMF, praxis or equivalent thread together BB in a PF shell instead of the cups, sleeves, adapters, what have you etc. Serviceability, reliability and longevity of the thread together designs far exceeds stock options here making the increase in price marginal IMO.

AngryScientist
05-10-2020, 02:46 PM
i watched a few of his videos a while back and was not impressed. i just dont care for that style of humor and penis size talk. just dont find that kind of stuff funny.

personally, as an engineer myself, i think he's quite foolish to carry on like that. i have no idea who he is employed by, or maybe he works for himself or something, but these days, you're a corporate liability if you make a controversial internet presence for yourself, especially with that type of lowbrow humor.

pasadena
05-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Hambini bb's are for frames that are misaligned and difficult bb issues with noise, creaking, resistance, bearing wear,etc

If you're having problems with bb performance, than the Hambini one is best for that.
He also custom makes bb's for specific applications, per customer. So his are good if you are having bb issues. If not, than any high quality bb will do. Can't really go wrong with Shimano...

Or just a redirect -

Old School
05-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Of all I have tried, by far the Wheels Mfg. Angular Contact have been the best.

I have had a problem BB on a 2015 Specialized, the "press fit era", That I cured with a Praxis works BB that was also excellent.

pasadena
05-10-2020, 10:43 PM
Of all I have tried, by far the Wheels Mfg. Angular Contact have been the best.

I have had a problem BB on a 2015 Specialized, the "press fit era", That I cured with a Praxis works BB that was also excellent.

This is a good explanation why the Wheels angular contact may not solve problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2bmFN6ApA