PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cordless Vacuums

2LeftCleats
10-31-2019, 05:41 PM
Tired of lugging my current vacuum up and down stairs. Looking at some of the cordless. Certainly much easier to handle and reviews of the better ones suggest performance is close to the corded machines. Top of the line Dyson gets good marks as do a couple of the lesser models. What’s your experience as far as cleaning and time the battery works? Are they worth the money? Thanks in advance.

crownjewelwl
10-31-2019, 05:43 PM
We've had good luck with the Dyson for years....battery still maintains good charge

jtakeda
10-31-2019, 05:52 PM
We've had good luck with the Dyson for years....battery still maintains good charge

I’ve had my Dyson cordless for 1 year and 4 months and the battery dies in less than 2 minutes.

Contacting Dyson about warranty now. Standby for results

The corded Dyson we have has better suction power and a bigger capacity tank but also doesn’t have the convenience of the cordless.

donevwil
10-31-2019, 06:08 PM
crown and jt, would you let us know which models (V7-V11, Animal, etc) you have? I'm about to buy one myself and am sorting through the cost v review v feature puzzle.

rheosibal
10-31-2019, 06:15 PM
Have a cordless Dyson too - V8 Animal?

Battery has been great for the past 2 years. I really wish the unit had a detachable battery, so that you can use/charge multiple batteries. I can see it being an issue with larger homes or huge messes.

Vacuum is great in "Eco" mode (1.5 hours), but is really awesome in "High Power" mode (~30 minutes). After that, it takes FOREVER to charge. I usually have to rush my vacuuming or split the job in half.

Definitely works around our small house and our cars with the 3 HAIRY puppers.

zmudshark
10-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Carpet or wood?

jtakeda
10-31-2019, 06:58 PM
crown and jt, would you let us know which models (V7-V11, Animal, etc) you have? I'm about to buy one myself and am sorting through the cost v review v feature puzzle.

Mine is V8 Animal. Just called dyson. 10 minute phone call--new battery being shipped.

Should be good to go--customer service was excellent.

I use mine on hardwood/tile and a couple rugs.

superbowlpats
10-31-2019, 07:08 PM
we have the V10 animal. my wife swears by it.

bthornt
10-31-2019, 07:08 PM
I have a Dyson V6. I have had it for about 3 years, and overall I'm very pleased. My floors are tile and laminate, with one 5X8 area rug. I run it in the max position, and it has never run out of power on me but it's pretty easy to vacuum laminate and tile.

I only have one complaint, and it's the size of the container for the debris resulting from vacuuming. It's very small. Its small size isn't a problem for the hard surfaces, but on the rug it's a different story. I can fill the canister by simply vacuuming the area rug.

Bottom line from my experience is that if you have a lot of carpet, be prepared for a lot of stops, emptying out the canister. If you don't have a lot of carpet, I think you'll be pleased. It's a lot more convenient, and much lighter in weight that the typical vacuum cleaner.

Louis
10-31-2019, 07:20 PM
I've considered getting a Dyson, but haven't primarily because they're hideous, and I can't stand the thought of giving any money to a company with such poor design taste, let alone having something like that in my home.

R3awak3n
10-31-2019, 07:20 PM
I have 3 dysons, 2 are cordless and one full size. They have been fantastic, I swear by them. I got them all on super sale, refurb on ebay directly from dyson. They come with a year warranty always but I have had one for 6 years, one for 3 and one 6 months and all have worked flawlessly.

2LeftCleats
10-31-2019, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.

glepore
10-31-2019, 08:23 PM
I have a v8 animal. Shop ebay-the housing cosmetically cracks and they're half price. I can't see the crack on mine. Its amazing. I'll never own another corded vac. Its better than my non upright dyson ball on carpet, and I use it more often because its an easy grab. Yes, the container is small. Yes, it dies quickly on high, but if you need high you have a mess to deal with. A killer piece of kit.

Ken Robb
10-31-2019, 09:15 PM
I gave my Miele canister vacuum to our cleaning lady who LOVES it. I was tired of wrestling it on our carpeted stairs. I bought the Dyson cordless that seems to be one step above their V-8 model at COSTCO knowing I could return it easily if I didn't like it. It's wonderful. I use it once a week for 20 minutes so I never run out of juice. The canister is VERY easy to empty and this baby really SUCKS! In a good way.:)

gasman
10-31-2019, 09:25 PM
Here's a completely different answer. We have an upstairs vacuum and a downstairs vacuum, no hauling a vacuum up or down. Both corded and they have lasted years with only occasional belt and or beater bar replacement. That doesn't count my shop-vac which every guy should have.

Ken Robb
10-31-2019, 09:49 PM
Here's a completely different answer. We have an upstairs vacuum and a downstairs vacuum, no hauling a vacuum up or down. Both corded and they have lasted years with only occasional belt and or beater bar replacement. That doesn't count my shop-vac which every guy should have.

My problem with a corded canister was dragging the canister attached by hose and cord to the sweeper/beater head up the stairs while vacuuming. If you get to be my age you will understand. :rolleyes:

gasman
10-31-2019, 09:57 PM
My problem with a corded canister was dragging the canister attached by hose and cord to the sweeper/beater head up the stairs while vacuuming. If you get to be my age you will understand. :rolleyes:

I just hope to get to your age and to be as smart and good looking as you.:banana::banana::banana:

My wife bought a little hand held Royal to vacuum the stairs. She has a thing for vacuums . She has 4 vacuums , I have 4 bikes so it's all even.

dddd
10-31-2019, 11:06 PM
I use a hand-held mini-vac for stairs and even for the front doorway, the kitchen mat and all other tight spaces.

It's corded, but it's not heavy. It empties quick but I go outside and bang the filter on the curb to dislodge the ton of dust that issues forth down-wind.

It's called the Red Devil VIBE, it has a beater brush and has moderate suction that somewhat tries to lift the kitchen mat.

For matted carpet, I two-hand the thing, applying downward force at the head unit to raise the nap and dislodge dirt.

I am slowly becoming a convert to cordless things, but corded units usually have a good more power and can be bought for chump change at the thrift stores. So I am a hold-out with vacuums.

I got to try out my neighbor's cordless hedge trimmer today, and it seems like a likely future purchase. I mow my rather large and "technical" lawn with Neuton mowers having lead-acid batteries, and those things have proven to be long-lasting, six years on of hard use so far and all three identical units bought used and still working.

ernmony
10-31-2019, 11:21 PM
I have the Dyson V11 and you have to hold down the button to activate it. Once you keep pressing it after 15 minutes your finger will start to hurt. It does great suction otherwise.

Louis
11-01-2019, 12:09 AM
Based on the recommendations from Wirecutter

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cordless-stick-vacuum/

I just bought a Hoover Linx ($129 on Amazon)

They don't like it nearly as much as they do the Dysons, but it should be plenty for the area around the cat litter boxes (cat litter on lino and wood isn't a huge challenge) and it's a heck of a lot less expensive.

Thanks to the OP for motivating me to get off my butt to do this.

https://cdn.thewirecutter.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/cordless-vacuum-lowres-1012621.jpg

cinema
11-01-2019, 01:05 AM
I gave my Miele canister vacuum to our cleaning lady who LOVES it. I was tired of wrestling it on our carpeted stairs. I bought the Dyson cordless that seems to be one step above their V-8 model at COSTCO knowing I could return it easily if I didn't like it. It's wonderful. I use it once a week for 20 minutes so I never run out of juice. The canister is VERY easy to empty and this baby really SUCKS! In a good way.:)

you've made a horrible mistake giving that away but I would be super stoked to get one for free as well. We have two sebo canisters and a riccar supralite. I'm a bit of a vacuum head and I like working on them, electronic motors and such. if it was a suction only version, it would make sense that it would be awful on carpet, as you need a power brush.

The Dyson v7/v8 are the best cordless stick vacuums available if that's your thing. find them used or refurbished to save money. I have read reviews about the new v11 being excellent as well but the v8 holding its own and being the best bang for your buck.

CDollarsign
11-01-2019, 06:15 AM
I have a dyson v8 absolute and it makes me want to clean. The form factor and accessories make it ideal for almost everything, even your car.

stackie
11-01-2019, 09:48 AM
We have two Dyson cordless. One upstairs and one down. Easy and quick to use. They work fine. But as the years go by, I’m annoyed by the noise. They are really loud compared to the Miele corded.

Anyone else find them noisy?

Jon

Ozz
11-01-2019, 11:19 AM
picked up the Dyson V10 Animal at Costco a few months back....seems to do the trick....kids don't complain about vacuuming as much now....we have a Miele canister they used previously.

The canister is still the better vacuum (IMHO), but getting kids to help with weekend cleaning without the complaining is worth the investment in the cordless Dyson.

It is also handy for sucking up spiders that make their may into the house....

Safepants
11-01-2019, 11:47 AM
I have a Dyson V6. I have had it for about 3 years, and overall I'm very pleased. My floors are tile and laminate, with one 5X8 area rug. I run it in the max position, and it has never run out of power on me but it's pretty easy to vacuum laminate and tile.

I only have one complaint, and it's the size of the container for the debris resulting from vacuuming. It's very small. Its small size isn't a problem for the hard surfaces, but on the rug it's a different story. I can fill the canister by simply vacuuming the area rug.

Bottom line from my experience is that if you have a lot of carpet, be prepared for a lot of stops, emptying out the canister. If you don't have a lot of carpet, I think you'll be pleased. It's a lot more convenient, and much lighter in weight that the typical vacuum cleaner.

I have the same one and similar flooring. We only have carpet on our stairs, 3 flights worth.
The battery lasts long enough for all the stairs, which frankly I don’t want to be vacuuming much longer than that anyways! The charging cradle is great too and holds the accessories making it always charged when needed.

I agree with the canister size but it’s easy to empty at least.

2metalhips
11-01-2019, 12:44 PM
I have had a Makita 18v li-ion for 4 years. Battery lasts about 30 minutes. Very happy with it.

Gsinill
11-01-2019, 01:05 PM
We have two Dyson cordless. One upstairs and one down. Easy and quick to use. They work fine. But as the years go by, I’m annoyed by the noise. They are really loud compared to the Miele corded.

Anyone else find them noisy?

Jon

Yes it is loud.
We got a little handheld one too and even though it works well from a suction perspective, I dislike the design.

Besides the looks, the mechanism to empty the canister is finicky and just feels cheap.

Our battery died very early on, but CS and the warranty process were awesome.

floppyb
11-01-2019, 01:27 PM
Another vote for Dyson. Been quite happy with ours for the last few years.

deechee
11-01-2019, 01:38 PM
I've been thinking about Dysons but Consumer Reports doesn't recommend them due to high repair rates. Interesting that the paceline pool says otherwise. Over in Canada, the official store often has 20% off refurbs at their eBay store which some people on redflagdeals have been satisfied with. Been thinking about it for a while since my Linx battery barely lasts 10 minutes.

The Hoover Linx is generally ok, but the battery sucks, especially over time. I have a spare battery now which helps. Also, if you have cats/long hair, you need to take apart the bottom piece from the stick part occasionally and fish out all the hair in between the two. Its a bottleneck so things get trapped in there and reduce suction.

We also have the Black & Decker 20v Lithium Flex wirecutter recommended - its great, but LOUD. And that charging stand is the cheapest piece of plastic I could've imagined. I'm surprised we haven't broken it yet.

p nut
11-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Bought my Dyson V6 about 2.5 years ago. It's been a good vacuum, however, the last 5-6 months, it's been acting up. Press the button, nothing happens, or it turns on for a brief moment. Called up Dyson and they said it's not the battery, but the main unit. It would cost us $205 to replace. A brand new unit (better unit) is on sale at $189 right now.

We'll probably end up buying a new one, but was hoping it would last longer. Wife loves it.

pobrien
11-01-2019, 03:12 PM
I had been looking at Dysons and just ordered a refurbished Dyson V10B. I have oak flooring throughout my home (other than bathroom) and have just been using a broom (very old school here).

I like the idea that I can vacuum my car with it. That is a bonus.

Had thought about a Roomba or similar but figured I would step on it in the middle of the night.

I better stop reading these posts. No idea what else I might hear about this is a must-have!

Great thread.

Patrick

cinema
11-01-2019, 03:50 PM
well dysons have horrible service life and are nearly unfixable once they die, which they do eventually after a few years. the bagless uprights are absolutely awful but as far as stick vacs go there simply isn't any better options. my neighbor has the v8 cordless, it works well on hard surfaces from what I can tell but I see no reason I'd ever leave my bagged canisters and uprights for the convenience of a stick vac.

my sebo k3 and k2 are like 15+ years old each and run like champs with powerful 10.6 amp motors.

HenryA
11-01-2019, 06:23 PM
I have a small cordless Dyson and for what its made for it is great. Get a Dyson, but don’t use it like this guy:

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/boston-man-sues-dyson-for-2-3-million-after-being-partially-emasculated-by-vacuum-cleaner/

Hank Scorpio
11-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Costco just announced their black friday pricing on a the Dyson Cyclone V10. It said $130 off.

2LeftCleats
11-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Short-term followup.

I bought the Dyson v10. We have about 2000 sq. ft., roughly half carpeted. Amazing amount of dog hair extracted. Cleaned well on both surfaces. Ran out of power just after completion. I used the max power setting for most of it, but actually had to reduce that for some of the carpet. The suction is so strong that it was difficult to push it at full strength. Tomorrow I’ll see how it does on my chrome trailer hitch.

Louis
11-07-2019, 11:18 PM
Tomorrow I’ll see how it does on my chrome trailer hitch.

???

HenryA
11-07-2019, 11:30 PM
???

Ask the guys down at the local bar. At least one of them will be able to explain it.

Louis
11-08-2019, 12:18 AM
I'm guessing that it isn't anything I really want or need to know...

martl
11-08-2019, 12:38 AM
i started to use my cordless Bosch shop vac in the house. it works well, isnt very loud, and it works on the swappable 18v battery packs i already have for some power tools.

Clancy
11-08-2019, 08:25 AM
Although not in the range of vacuums others have mentioned but I’ve found this to be very practical, works surprisingly well, great for cleaning up the car and smaller tasks around the house. For a car vacuum, it’s the best I’ve found.

https://www.blackanddecker.com/products/home-cleaning/vacuums/handheld-vacuums/cordless-lithium-flex-car-vacuum/hfvab320jc26

ernmony
12-18-2019, 05:53 PM
I have the Dyson v10. It’s activated by pulling a trigger with your finger. It will actually start hurting after 15-20m of vacuuming. Other than that, it does work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p nut
12-18-2019, 07:51 PM
I have the Dyson v10. It’s activated by pulling a trigger with your finger. It will actually start hurting after 15-20m of vacuuming. Other than that, it does work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Dyson V6 died recently. So bought an LG. Has a button instead of a trigger. Much better, in my opinion.

vqdriver
12-18-2019, 09:38 PM
i have a miele canister, dyson cordless, and an amazon special dyson knock-off

the dyson's fine and works as advertised, but it's the one i use least. the miele gets the actual 'cleaning' work done around the house.
and the no name knock off is far far quieter than the dyson for cordless jobs.

pobrien
12-18-2019, 10:48 PM
Hi all,

I checked out the Dyson V10 before buying it by reviewing several you-tube reviews. One important point is that Dyson suggests only using high power for picking up a pile of debris like a box of cereal spilled on the floor.

They recommend using the middle power level for normal cleaning which helps extend battery life. I find my V10 easily vacuums my 800 sq. ft. place just fine with lots of battery capacity left. I've had it for about a month now.

I am surprised how easy it is to use in tight spots as the suction head pivots really easily to get into tight spots. It is great having no chord and it takes so little space when hung up on its charging station.

It is a great machine and I would recommend it without reservation!

Patrick

dsimon
12-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Wow,
all you peeps are doing it wrong or Maybe my wife just likes to clean:fight: I have the Purple dyson Vaccum upstairs the Yellow one down stairs. the Older purple one thats on its last leg on the dogs porch the cordless finally died but i think that was a V5 or the V8 who knows but I know I have a Lotta money tied up in dyson sure wish I could get a prodeal.:confused:

dddd
12-19-2019, 04:18 PM
The prices on these cordless vacs being as high as they are, I get that money-making feeling every time that I use the corded stick-vac with powered brush roller.
The suction isn't great, but the see-through dust cup is priceless as it provides motivation to do a five-minute "sweep" every 2-3 days.
It's amazing how much stuff comes inside from presumably just my shoes, so I added another carpet runner over the pathway through my dining room that leads to the living room, master bedroom and guest bathroom.

I take the cup/housing and filter outside to dump it's contents and bang the filter against the curb to dislodge all of the dust.

I use a very high-powered Kenmore upright vac for a more thorough bi-monthly cleaning, mainly to deep-clean the carpet pile. That thing weighs a ton though, must be the heaviest one available.