PDA

View Full Version : So long, Tour of California. It's history.

Elefantino
10-29-2019, 03:22 PM
It makes sense now why Sagan decided to skip to go to the Giro.

hellvetica
10-29-2019, 03:33 PM
That's a bummer. It was a great race to watch, and if you lived in SoCal, you could spectate several stages fairly easily.

:(

soulspinner
10-29-2019, 03:39 PM
wow

FlashUNC
10-29-2019, 03:40 PM
I had to wonder what was up when Sagan bailed on this given how much Spesh put into the race in terms of exposure for their Euro riders.

Shame. Always enjoyed the stages that came through up here.

Heisenberg
10-29-2019, 03:41 PM
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ZINFANDEL GROWERS

nafwg

trener1
10-29-2019, 03:46 PM
Wow, that is a huge bummer.

Highpowernut
10-29-2019, 03:49 PM
I went the last few years, road up Baldy and back to cookie corner for the race. Had a blast and sorry to see it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTHBROOKS
10-29-2019, 03:59 PM
it was tight when they would zoom past my parents front door in ojai.

Dino Suegiù
10-29-2019, 04:04 PM
Too bad.

Does someone know if this is in fact true?
"The race has become California’s largest annual sporting event, contributing more than $3.5 billion¹ to the state’s economy over the years."
¹Based on an economic impact by Beacon Economics
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191029006033/en/
There is no explanation as to how that claim is calculated; I am curious.
Contributing $250 Million/year for 14 years? What does a sporting event like a Super Bowl, World Series, Final Four, etc. contribute to a state, annually?

Blue Jays
10-29-2019, 04:17 PM
Unfortunate to hear. Perhaps likely affiliated with the general aging of our beloved favorite sport and hobby...
Without youth embracing this sport as participants, it will simultaneously be a challenge to get them out to the races.

Elefantino
10-29-2019, 04:18 PM
Only two WT teams at this year's Tour of Utah. Wonder how long that will hang around.

azrider
10-29-2019, 04:22 PM
Bummer.

Back in 2008 I drove to Solvang with a buddy and brought the bikes for weekend of riding and watching. We decided to get up super early to get our ride in and then come back in time to watch TT. I remember being one of the first people in the parking lot getting ready to ride and we realized we had forgotten our pump. Half joking/yelling at one another, an older gentlemen overheard us and came by and said "you kids need a pump?" (we were 29,30 respectively just fwi)

He left and came back with a pump and when I asked if it was his he said "no it was one of his sons coworkers." I thanked him nonetheless and asked if he was going to be watching the race and then he got excited. "oh yeah yeah, you bet, we're really excited about today. My son is racing and he really likes TT's." My buddy and I froze and immediately asked who his son was and he said "Levi Leipheimer". To which i responded "of course you are, you look exactly alike." :p:p:p

When we finished our ride we got back just in time to see Credit Agricole team getting organized and ready in the lobby and I gave Thor Hushovd a "dude what's up Thor!"

Fun memories.

prototoast
10-29-2019, 04:52 PM
Too bad.

"The race has become California’s largest annual sporting event, contributing more than $3.5 billion¹ to the state’s economy over the years."
Contributing $250 Million/year for 14 years? What does a sporting event like a Super Bowl, World Series, Final Four, etc. contribute to a state, annually?

I couldn't find the original report, but as a matter of practice, sports event economic impact studies should usually be viewed extremely skeptically, and this doubly so. Back of the envelope, if it contributed $250m/year, that would be $35 million per stage.

Certain stages like last year's Rancho Cordova to Lake Tahoe had almost no spectators in person watching--it would be hard to think this generated much more economic activity than the direct expenses of the race itself. Other stages like Sacramento to Sacramento had a bit more going on, with actual spectators, vendors, etc., but even getting to $35 million from that seems like a stretch. This report on the Rose Bowl says the Rose Bowl (game only) generates $68 million. https://tournamentofroses.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2018-Rose-Parade-and-Rose-Bowl-Game-economic-impact.pdf Again, I wouldn't trust the absolute number, but is there any world in which a Tour of California stage is worth even close to half a Rose Bowl?

If this race were anywhere close to that valuable, it would have obviously continued. I'd guess that as the costs of doing business in California continued to rise and the revenue didn't, it got too expensive for the race to continue. We'd already seen the race go to more and more central valley, less and less bay area/napa/sonoma. Throw in a complete lack of American talent in recent years, and it wasn't hard to see where the race was headed.

I liked having it around and getting the chance to see some pro racing near home, but it was running on fumes. I hope they figure out a way to revamp it and bring it back in some form.

Dino Suegiù
10-29-2019, 05:27 PM
I couldn't find the original report, but as a matter of practice, sports event economic impact studies should usually be viewed extremely skeptically, and this doubly so. Back of the envelope, if it contributed $250m/year, that would be $35 million per stage.

Certain stages like last year's Rancho Cordova to Lake Tahoe had almost no spectators in person watching--it would be hard to think this generated much more economic activity than the direct expenses of the race itself. Other stages like Sacramento to Sacramento had a bit more going on, with actual spectators, vendors, etc., but even getting to $35 million from that seems like a stretch. This report on the Rose Bowl says the Rose Bowl (game only) generates $68 million. https://tournamentofroses.com/wp-con...mic-impact.pdf Again, I wouldn't trust the absolute number, but is there any world in which a Tour of California stage is worth even close to half a Rose Bowl?

If this race were anywhere close to that valuable, it would have obviously continued.
Thank you, very clear. https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

That $3.5B/14 years claim surprised me, and your Rose Bowl example puts the issue into a real context. I do not see how it is in any true way possible for the ToC to have contributed more to California's economy than a behemoth like that game. We went to see a ToC finale in Long Beach years ago, and while it was fantastic fun it definitely felt much more like the Rose Bowl swap meet than the Rose Bowl game, from an economic pov.

And, as you wrote, that claim definitely goes entirely counter to the reasons AEG provided for suspending the event.

Spaghetti Legs
10-29-2019, 05:29 PM
Well that is a bummer. I went in ‘09, Solvang and Paso Robles, and had a blast. I had some thoughts about going again next year. The riders always seemed to enjoy it.

Steve in SLO
10-29-2019, 07:42 PM
Truly a bummer. It certainly was fun to be on course and have such great access to the riders pre-race.
In a majority of years it went right by my house.

SpaceOdyssey
10-29-2019, 07:52 PM
I heard that part of the issue is California’s new “Equal Sports Opportunity Law” that would require ASO to not only provide equal purses but equal routes in both stage count and mileage for the men’s and women’s races.

I am not sure what the cost impact would be to do this but canceling the women’s race to avoid that would have been a PR disaster.

So, if they can’t do two totally equal races, they are choosing to do no races???

I really hope it is something else but we may never know.

Buzz
10-29-2019, 08:37 PM
News articles indicate the organizers reported that it was becoming more difficult to mount the race each year. Notice that the race hasn’t been to Palo Alto or San Francisco for some years now and was never going back. Jurisdictions making it harder for events to occur and not just for the TOC but lots of events. Eventually the logistics and costs overwhelm and people give up trying. Honestly, the race lasted a lot longer than anyone ever thought it would. So kudos for those keeping it going all these years. And who knows, maybe it can be reformulated in the future.

The Wildflower triathlon was a staple on the calendar and one of the more popular and traditional events in the country and then things conspired against it and it has been off the calendar for a number of years. Just announced it is back on calendar for this year. So, hopefully we will see a major cycling race again in California in a year or two.

choke
10-29-2019, 09:05 PM
I heard that part of the issue is California’s new “Equal Sports Opportunity Law” that would require ASO to not only provide equal purses but equal in both stage count and mileage for the men’s and women’s races. That law only requires equal monetary payouts. I agree that it was likely a factor.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/amp29036718/equal-pay-for-equal-pay-law-california/

glepore
10-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Unfortunate to hear. Perhaps likely affiliated with the general aging of our beloved favorite sport and hobby...
Without youth embracing this sport as participants, it will simultaneously be a challenge to get them out to the races.

Yeah, remember when "cycling is the new golf" was a good thing?

pasadena
10-30-2019, 03:55 AM
Since prize money is a small fraction of the overall budget and resources, likely not a factor at all. But I can see how using it as an excuse is easy click bait and sensationalism.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-of-california-hiatus-unlikely-related-to-equality-law/

The real problem with this type of racing is that it is very difficult to organize in the US. The costs are tremendous. The resources needed are tremendous.

The US needs it's own type of racing at the World Tour level, to survive here.
Maybe something akin to the Hammer Series.... who knows...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jonathan-vaughters-the-tour-of-california-can-come-back-but-racing-in-the-us-has-to-be-re-invented/

That law only requires equal monetary payouts. I agree that it was likely a factor.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/amp29036718/equal-pay-for-equal-pay-law-california/

I heard that part of the issue is California’s new “Equal Sports Opportunity Law” that would require ASO to not only provide equal purses but equal routes in both stage count and mileage for the men’s and women’s races.

I am not sure what the cost impact would be to do this but canceling the women’s race to avoid that would have been a PR disaster.

So, if they can’t do two totally equal races, they are choosing to do no races???

I really hope it is something else but we may never know.

Elefantino
10-30-2019, 05:10 AM
That law only requires equal monetary payouts. I agree that it was likely a factor.

Men’s payout for 2019 was $138,062. Women’s 3-day race was $67,398.

Black Dog
10-30-2019, 05:18 AM
Men’s payout for 2019 was $138,062. Women’s 3-day race was $67,398.

Seems that the per day pay out is about the same. It is really sad that blaming the women’s race on the decline of the event is going on. I bet the event spends a lot more money on appearances fees for men’s teams and ridders and probably zero for women’s teams and riders. So yea, it’s the fault of laws that provide some semblance of equity for women. :rolleyes:

Mustangski
10-30-2019, 05:38 AM
Wow, bummer. I was watching it on TV as we were about to move to Sacramento and was excited to be able to see it in person next year. Figures it gets cancelled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris
10-30-2019, 05:48 AM
Only two WT teams at this year's Tour of Utah. Wonder how long that will hang around.

There's a Tour of Utah?

redir
10-30-2019, 06:24 AM
Too bad.

I say this every year when the inevitable subject of cycling is a dying sport comes up. When you look at the numbers you would think it would be an advertisers dream... I just don't get it.

Anyway yes it's true hiatus usually means it's dead. But we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Elefantino
10-30-2019, 06:50 AM
I sort of agree with JV.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jonathan-vaughters-the-tour-of-california-can-come-back-but-racing-in-the-us-has-to-be-re-invented/

We are not Europe. Absent LeMond and -7, we haven't had a sustainable, wide fan/advertising base to support stage racing. I'm surprised, frankly, that ATOC lasted as long as it did. (There were whispers in 2016 that Amgen and Visit California were mulling pulling the plug but I couldn't get anyone to confirm, and the event limped along for another three years.)

It won't come back, at least not in a stage-race form. Maybe one-day races, harkening back to the pre-ATOC San Francisco days, are more easily doable; something like Montreal and Quebec City.

SpaceOdyssey
10-30-2019, 07:39 AM
Not saying there shouldn’t be equity - THERE SHOULD.

But the cost for logistics of turning a 3 day event into 6/7 for additional road closures, police, rescue, etc is not insignificant.

The Tour of Colorado went women only last year with a lot of support and not much criticism. If CA went the other way (men only) I am not sure it would be as warmly received.

Tough choices in a sport that seems to be losing appeal and sponsors at an alarming rate.

bicycletricycle
10-30-2019, 07:43 AM
it was tight when they would zoom past my parents front door in ojai.

I watched it a few time in Ojai, it was fun.

sonicCows
10-30-2019, 08:04 AM
Sad but no point in pretending something is successful when it clearly isn't. Just like competitive road cycling in general in the US.

I sort of agree with JV.

We are not Europe. Absent LeMond and -7, we haven't had a sustainable, wide fan/advertising base to support stage racing. I'm surprised, frankly, that ATOC lasted as long as it did. (There were whispers in 2016 that Amgen and Visit California were mulling pulling the plug but I couldn't get anyone to confirm, and the event limped along for another three years.)

It won't come back, at least not in a stage-race form. Maybe one-day races, harkening back to the pre-ATOC San Francisco days, are more easily doable; something like Montreal and Quebec City.

FlashUNC
10-30-2019, 08:20 AM
I sort of agree with JV.

Agreed on this point. AToC never really changed the format other than "do we start in SoCal or NorCal this time."

Red Bull Hill Climb and Mission Crit still happen in the city every year. One day races or a weekend of stuff centered on a locale could work.

bward1028
10-30-2019, 08:58 AM
SF is a perfect place for a really beautiful, exciting Pro Race. It's too bad that the logistics and dealing with San Franciscans would be a nightmare.

FriarQuade
10-30-2019, 01:07 PM
Having worked the race a few times and been to the start many more to sling tools this is kind of sad. It was the one time the big circus came to my coast and it was good to see old friends from the show. The world cups in Canada seem to be the last big racing in the US.

But there's no point in propping up traditional road races in North America at this point. The financials of putting on a race of that scale just don't make sense. The amount of people needed to make it all happen costs a small fortune that someone has to pay for because the event sure as hell isn't going to pay for itself.

I wonder if the State cut funding for the event? That's what killed the Tour of Missouri back in the day.

choke
10-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Seems that the per day pay out is about the same. It is really sad that blaming the women’s race on the decline of the event is going on. I bet the event spends a lot more money on appearances fees for men’s teams and ridders and probably zero for women’s teams and riders. So yea, it’s the fault of laws that provide some semblance of equity for women. :rolleyes:To be clear, I said it was probably a factor, not the only reason. But I was wrong - doing some more reading I found that the ToC started paying equal prize money in 2018 so I can't see how the law had any effect on the race being cancelled.

For the record, I've been to the Sacramento stage 3 times and only for the women's race. I watched them, talked to/got autographs from the racers before and after and then left before the men made it back into town. If the ToC still existed as a men's only race I wouldn't bother attending.

But the cost for logistics of turning a 3 day event into 6/7 for additional road closures, police, rescue, etc is not insignificant.Again, the CA law does not require equal participation, i.e. the ToC would not have to make the women's race the same number of days as the men's race. It only requires that the prize money be the same for any stages which are run.

pdmtong
10-30-2019, 07:32 PM
SF is a perfect place for a really beautiful, exciting Pro Race. It's too bad that the logistics and dealing with San Franciscans would be a nightmare.

That race existed. It was called the San Francisco Grand Prix.

As for the AToC I enjoyed it every year. The decline in energy, exhibitors/fan festival, and race spectators from the early years to the recent years was noticeable. Thankful we had it but also surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Nothing like seeing the TdF stars in the flesh....or Cipo in your LBS. Or the pro peloton just blasting up your local climb like it was flat.

Volant
11-01-2019, 11:21 PM
sf is a perfect place for a really beautiful, exciting pro race. It's too bad that the logistics and dealing with san franciscans would be a nightmare.

+1

BRad704
11-02-2019, 08:33 AM

But the cost for logistics of turning a 3 day event into 6/7 for additional road closures, police, rescue, etc is not insignificant.

The Tour of Colorado went women only last year with a lot of support and not much criticism. If CA went the other way (men only) I am not sure it would be as warmly received.

Tough choices in a sport that seems to be losing appeal and sponsors at an alarming rate.

I'm just being a smartass here,... But let all the men and women roll out together. Mass Mass start. [emoji2371] Or I guess a less dumb idea would be the women rolling out 5 minutes after the men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro