PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 or 11 spd crankset with 12 spd drivetrain?

thwart
10-29-2019, 08:50 AM
Going to build up a frameset this winter :banana: and am thinking about dipping my toe into 12 speed. I know, I know, 10 speed is great stuff... just curiosity helped along (significantly) by fairly low prices for Chorus level components.

But... I would like to use one of the cranksets I already have around. Less $$$ and also I prefer the aesthetics of the 5 arm cranks.

I've used 10 spd cranks with 11 spd drivetrains successfully, but can they go to 12?

FWIW I also have a NOS 11 spd crank 'in stock' as well. :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

oldpotatoe
10-29-2019, 08:57 AM
Going to build up a frameset this winter :banana: and am thinking about dipping my toe into 12 speed. I know, I know, 10 speed is great stuff... just curiosity helped along (significantly) by fairly low prices for Chorus level components.

But... I would like to use one of the cranksets I already have around. Less $$$ and also I prefer the aesthetics of the 5 arm cranks.

I've used 10 spd cranks with 11 spd drivetrains successfully, but can they go to 12?

FWIW I also have a NOS 11 spd crank 'in stock' as well. :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

Owing to the distances between chainrings and how a 'properly' adjusted front der will get the chain up to the big ring in 3 clicks.if you make sure that the chain is really close to inner part of front der cage when in lowest gear(small ring and biggest cog) and cable is TIGHT..(might do the inner limit screw so that chain touches fder inner cage..then push down on thumb button of LH lever, pull cable TIGHT, then unscrew inner limit a wee bit)..makes the chain both close and TIGHT..then it should work fine..10s crank and 12s 'system'...