PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti new Flagship Frame. ROUND

huck*this
10-28-2019, 07:15 PM
https://dariopegoretti.com/frames/

wgp
10-28-2019, 07:43 PM
Teaser with no photos on their website yet :-(

This will be fun to see the first frames emerge and get built up ...

damocles
10-29-2019, 05:11 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the guys will both honour and evolve the brand... Can't wait to see some pics!

soulspinner
10-29-2019, 05:18 AM
3d printed dropouts. new era.

Black Dog
10-29-2019, 05:21 AM
They have to move forward, stoping a brand in time is the beginning of the end. Good for them and good for the brand.

ernmony
10-29-2019, 06:12 AM
Since it's the new flagship, I wonder what the going price will be?

colker
10-29-2019, 06:24 AM
If you have to ask then it´s too expensive.

ernmony
10-29-2019, 06:33 AM
If you have to ask then it´s too expensive.

Maybe for you but not for me.

Blown Reek
10-29-2019, 06:35 AM

Heh.

jm714
10-29-2019, 07:51 AM
They have to move forward, stoping a brand in time is the beginning of the end. Good for them and good for the brand.

I wonder when they go to discs? I thought I read somewhere that they can already make a frame for electronic systems. It seems if they are going to evolve they are going to need a disc frame with capability for larger tires.

colker
10-29-2019, 07:58 AM

Then buy it. I dare you. :);)

arik
10-29-2019, 08:37 AM
Pegoretti hated disc brakes, using disc brakes will be the ultimate test to determine whether they have betrayed their name sake.

jpritchet74
10-29-2019, 08:43 AM
I wonder when they go to discs? I thought I read somewhere that they can already make a frame for electronic systems. It seems if they are going to evolve they are going to need a disc frame with capability for larger tires.

The only thing I wish my Duende could do (that it can't) is take 28's.......

wallymann
10-29-2019, 09:33 AM
man...i'd like to get a pegoretti, but the geometry just doesnt work for me. TT too short, STA too slack, CS too long, HT too tall. i figure if i diverge so much from what pegoretti specs, i shouldnt be riding a peg to begin with.

colker
10-29-2019, 09:58 AM
man...i'd like to get a pegoretti, but the geometry just doesnt work for me. TT too short, STA too slack, CS too long, HT too tall. i figure if i diverge so much from what pegoretti specs, i shouldnt be riding a peg to begin with.

They do custom bike. That´s basically what they do.

FlashUNC
10-29-2019, 10:07 AM
To crib a phrase, sounds like the kids will be alright.

wallymann
10-29-2019, 10:30 AM
They do custom bike. That´s basically what they do.

i get it...but i figure if you get a peg, then commit to GETTING A PEG.

if i'm going custom with such significant variances from the pego geometry philosophy...aside from fancy paint and the name on the DT, why bother? i could just have any one of a number of other builders build up a frame to my geo using essentially the same basic basic tubing mix.

i like the pego philosophy and mystique, but the geo is just too far away from what works for me.

rallizes
10-29-2019, 10:43 AM
@wallymann

what size colnago do you ride if i may ask?

wallymann
10-29-2019, 11:41 AM
@wallymann

what size colnago do you ride if i may ask?

generally an eTT in the low 58cm range assuming ~73 STA --> which means a 61cm in traditional, 56cm in sloping.

joosttx
10-29-2019, 12:36 PM

Lol.

ernmony
10-29-2019, 01:30 PM
Then buy it. I dare you. :);)

I already have one but wouldn't hurt to look :eek:

duff_duffy
10-29-2019, 01:33 PM
What’s the over/under on what this frameset will cost?

yarbsr02
10-29-2019, 02:07 PM

Came here for this. Would also welcome any good guesses.

Lanternrouge
10-29-2019, 02:13 PM

I think roughly $6k and possibly a bit more since it's a bit of a bump over the Responsorium. I also expect that pretty much everyone who gets one will be really happy with a Round because they are getting something they want.

Dino Suegiù
10-29-2019, 02:22 PM

I will guess $6000 stock, $6300 custom for frame/Falz/headset.

pdmtong
10-29-2019, 04:39 PM

photos below

https://dariopegoretti.com/frames/the-missing-frame/

wallymann
10-29-2019, 04:41 PM
attached

82Picchio
10-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Right, because stiffer is necessarily better for all riders...

Kirk007
10-29-2019, 06:10 PM
Wow. Haters gotta hate. Buy a Duende or Respo if a round is too stiff for you.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Bob Ross
10-29-2019, 06:41 PM
attached

Cot day-um them iz some phat phukin chain stays! And they say Big Leg Emma is bigger?!?! :eek:

3d printed dropouts. new era.

Someone help me out here: How do you 3D print in steel? Doesn't the "ink" have to be in a liquid or powder form for an additive process to work?

Hai H. Ho
10-29-2019, 06:49 PM
Pics

LJohnny
10-29-2019, 06:51 PM
Cot day

Someone help me out here: How do you 3D print in steel? Doesn't the "ink" have to be in a liquid or powder form for an additive process to work?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191030/1f3d01908e9f661ec74ac8d498d9faf1.jpg

slowpoke
10-29-2019, 07:03 PM

The 3D printer layers a layer of metal powder, then either adds binder layer or heats it up with a laser or electronic beam.

More info: https://pinshape.com/blog/3d-printing-metal/

btw, Serotta used 3D printed dropouts for their mid-aught bikes back in the day.

parallelfish
10-29-2019, 07:07 PM
Cot day-um them iz some phat phukin chain stays! And they say Big Leg Emma is bigger?!?! :eek:

There are methods that use molten metal, as well as methods that use powdered metal - layer of powdered metal, layer of a bonding agent in the desired shape, next layer of metal...etc. At completion of printing the unbonded metal is removed leaving the desired shape. The part is then sintered.

buddybikes
10-29-2019, 07:24 PM
ok, and the advantage of this dropout is?

I would have headaches, literally owning that bike, but that's just me.

colker
10-29-2019, 07:31 PM
I like the paint. A lot.

wallymann
10-29-2019, 08:17 PM
ok, and the advantage of this dropout is?

assuming the printed metal does not give up anything in terms of strength/durability needs, complex 3D printed parts can be shaped in ways not possible via machining or welding or casting or forging.

also, from a production perspective 3D pinting allows part production with much lower up-front tooling investments.

whether these things really matter to the performance of rear drop-outs in a road bicycle, that's something else entirely!

duff_duffy
10-29-2019, 08:59 PM
not that anybody cares but I’m not liking the paint.

colker
10-29-2019, 09:07 PM
not that anybody cares but I’m not liking the paint.

It´s also functional. Those dots make it easier for the rider to be seen by car drivers.

duff_duffy
10-29-2019, 09:16 PM
These are functional too:) just saved you $6k, can put on your current bike.

It´s also functional. Those dots make it easier for the rider to be seen by car drivers.

colker
10-29-2019, 09:21 PM
These are functional too:) just saved you $6k, can put on your current bike.

You win. Wow.

Peter B
10-30-2019, 12:18 AM

https://dariopegoretti.com/frames/the-missing-frame/

happycampyer
10-30-2019, 08:10 AM
The 3D printer layers a layer of metal powder, then either adds binder layer or heats it up with a laser or electronic beam.

More info: https://pinshape.com/blog/3d-printing-metal/

btw, Serotta used 3D printed dropouts for their mid-aught bikes back in the day.
The Serotta dropouts were CNC-machined in-house, not 3D printed. I think the term “3D” was used just to highlight the complexity of the shape.

nighthawk
10-30-2019, 10:43 AM
I’ve heard from GITA that they are still working out pricing on the Round frames, but that it will be ~$6700. Official release is slated for the Roleur show in England this weekend and first deliveries will be in the Spring, timed around the NAHBS.

Also, for the first year only available in that SRV tribute paint scheme.

shoota
10-30-2019, 11:35 AM

Ha, literally everything I would want.

sfo1
10-30-2019, 12:42 PM
Over spray party foul! (I do like the color though........)

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697987635&stc=1&d=1572396437

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697987637&stc=1&d=1572396461

pdmtong
10-30-2019, 03:56 PM
the market for a $6700 non-custom rim brake steel bike that (?) might fit 28s or (?) has no electric option is diminishing at an accelerated rate.

I love the way my responsorium rides but the path for that frame if I ever decide to sell it is to sell it and move on, not sell it and "upgrade" to a Round.

Dino Suegiù
10-30-2019, 04:06 PM
the market for a $6700 non-custom rim brake steel bike that (?) might fit 28s or (?) has no electric option is diminishing at an accelerated rate.

I love the way my responsorium rides but the path for that frame if I ever decide to sell it is to sell it and move on, not sell it and "upgrade" to a Round.

Yes, $6700 for stock? So, $7K + for custom?
Wow. I guess they would have the "must have it" early buyers regardless but long-term...that really seems asking a lot.

ERK55
10-30-2019, 05:03 PM
Ha, literally everything I would want.

Ha, me too.

pdmtong
10-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Yes, $6700 for stock? So, $7K + for custom?
Wow. I guess they would have the "must have it" early buyers regardless but long-term...that really seems asking a lot.

I'm pretty sure you could option out a speedvagen frameset to hit north of $7,000 (carbon seat tube, enve topper, electric, discs and then paint). Maybe a FF as well?

Does the Round become that aspirational frameset that takes share from those builders for the "gotta have metal" buyer?

82Picchio
10-30-2019, 05:49 PM
Wow. Haters gotta hate. Buy a Duende or Respo if a round is too stiff for you.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I've had five Pegs over the years -- two Marcelos, a Luigino, a Duende, and a mid-1990s frame built before Dario began using model names -- overall impression of the lot: meh. But, hey, I don't know what I'm talking about...

ultraman6970
10-30-2019, 05:49 PM
I do not get the frame.

rallizes
10-30-2019, 06:10 PM
I've had five Pegs over the years -- two Marcelos, a Luigino, a Duende, and a mid-1990s frame built before Dario began using model names -- overall impression of the lot: meh. But, hey, I don't know what I'm talking about...

what size? any photos of builds?

i think i asked before but you might have missed it

shoota
10-30-2019, 06:18 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one not impressed with them. I literally never see Pegs outside of PL. And aside from the paint work I don't find them attractive. What's the point of the crazy tall head tube above the top tube joint? It reminds me of a Fredly steerer tube extension.

Kirk007
10-30-2019, 06:22 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one not impressed with them. I literally never see Pegs outside of PL. And aside from the paint work I don't find them attractive. What's the point of the crazy tall head tube above the top tube joint? It reminds me of a Fredly steerer tube extension.

greater support for the steerer tube as well as putting the bars where they need to be while maintaining a tighter front triangle. Look at a photo of Indurain's pinarellos made by Dario from when he was winning the tour. Take a look at Colnago frueler geometry. There is a point to the design feature and it has nothing to do with people called Fred whoever he is.

Kirk007
10-30-2019, 06:26 PM

My point wasn't whether you know anything about Pegs but rather - here's a frame which those closest to Dario have produced in his honor and you decide to piss all over it with a sarcastic critical comment. Poor form. It comes down to what many of our mother told us - there are times when if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. And one has to wonder, why did you buy 5 of them if they were "meh"?

josephr
10-30-2019, 06:30 PM

and that's just it...Dario is now a "brand"....the website sounds like it was written by some Bicycling magazine alumni with a hard-on for the edgy-ist sounding cyclo-speak. I puked in my mouth while reading. Poor Dario's legacy left to the hipsters. :rolleyes:

Dino Suegiù
10-30-2019, 06:37 PM
I'm pretty sure you could option out a speedvagen frameset to hit north of $7,000 (carbon seat tube, enve topper, electric, discs and then paint). Maybe a FF as well?
I'm sure that is very possible. Probably at least a few other builders (Baum, DeKerf, etc.) also.

Does the Round become that aspirational frameset that takes share from those builders for the "gotta have metal" buyer?
That's the problem.
"Gotta have metal" has plenty of excellent competition, even more versatile, for in some cases even much less $.
"Gotta have an XCR Marcelo because the Responsorium was a bit too supple and had a weight limit" at $6500+ seems a real stretch. How many of those buyers are out there, especially (not that it matters but surely to some it does) since Pegoretti himself is now gone?

They may be risking, especially in this first year after, even maybe of boutiqueing themselves out too a bit too much. It will be interesting to see how well these sell. I suspect the brand will be fine, but these Rounds won't ever be real hotcakes, but very good for the "proof of innovation" effect that things like this thread are having in terms of keeping the chatter going.

Also, if the frame dates have been replaced with stickers, like the grey one pictured above and below here (I hope that is just a temporary thing for the photos) that is a really bad look. I'm surprised they would even publish that view, actually. It looks really cheap, and goes completely against the spirit (ie a kind of serial number) of the original reason for the painted on ID. :confused:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697987637&stc=1&d=1572396461

Dino Suegiù
10-30-2019, 06:40 PM
I do not get the frame.

Responsorium without the weight limit, it seems.
Aka a stiffer Responsorium aka a stainless Marcelo.

Dino Suegiù
10-30-2019, 06:54 PM
greater support for the steerer tube as well as putting the bars where they need to be while maintaining a tighter front triangle. Look at a photo of Indurain's pinarellos made by Dario from when he was winning the tour. Take a look at Colnago frueler geometry. There is a point to the design feature and it has nothing to do with people called Fred whoever he is.

Exactly.
To equate "Fredly" with Pegoretti is really ridiculous, whether the Pegoretti philosophy and aesthetic is appreciated or not. I cannot think of a less "Fredly" frame-builder/innovator. Pure pragmatism a priori, period.

My point wasn't whether you know anything about Pegs but rather - here's a frame which those closest to Dario have produced in his honor and you decide to piss all over it with a sarcastic critical comment. Poor form. It comes down to what many of our mother told us - there are times when if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. And one has to wonder, why did you buy 5 of them if they were "meh"?
Exactly again.
And, who knows, but it would certainly seem to me that this is the exact frame Pegoretti himself was already developing last year, and probably had discussed many times with the team and Columbus already. It is the most logical and practical new model for the 2020+ portfolio, by far.

wgp
10-30-2019, 06:57 PM
And one has to wonder, why did you buy 5 of them if they were "meh"?

I’m curious too - don’t mean to be snarky, I just don’t understand why you’d buy #3, #4, or #5 if you didn’t like the earlier purchases??

nighthawk
10-30-2019, 10:42 PM
I have only owned one Peg... a duende... and it was one of the most enjoyable bikes I’ve ridden, and I rode it a lot. It was truly a joy to ride. For that I have much respect for Dario and his craftsmanship.

charliedid
10-30-2019, 11:03 PM
I wish them well and hope the sell a pile of them.

pdmtong
10-30-2019, 11:15 PM

That would be a dario innovation called a dropped top tube for 58+ frame sizes

Helps to increase stiffness in larger sizes

FlashUNC
10-30-2019, 11:35 PM
Responsorium without the weight limit, it seems.
Aka a stiffer Responsorium aka a stainless Marcelo.

The weight limit was never much of an actual thing.

If they've made a lighter Marcelo, all the better.

These'll sell.

Dino Suegiù
10-31-2019, 05:03 AM
That would be a dario innovation called a dropped top tube for 58+ frame sizes

Helps to increase stiffness in larger sizes

I think it may have been earlier, with Edwig Van Hooydonck/Buckler/Colnago and Urs Freuler/Atala/Colnago in the mid-1980s. But Pegoretti would have been already 30 then so maybe he and Milani were talking with Colnago. But I do not really know, just that Colnago essentially coined the term "Freuler geometry".

In any case, just as you wrote: "...used to create framesets, for taller riders, with extended head and seat tubes that went beyond the junction with the horizontal top tube, keeping the top tube closer to the down tube, and in theory, making for a stiffer, lighter and stronger frame."

Dino Suegiù
10-31-2019, 05:15 AM
The weight limit was never much of an actual thing.
The Responsorium stiffness to weight (and limit) was/is a issue to some, along with the Responsorium < Marcelo < BLE stiffness spectrum. This Round seems designed specifically to answer those questions and therefore to fit in a good slot.

If they've made a lighter Marcelo, all the better. I do not know what the Marcelo Spirit tubes are drawn to versus the Round XCR tubes, but I really doubt that in the same size frame any weight difference will be dramatic, noticeable, or important. Some Spirit frames are lighter than XCR same-size equivalents. The Marcelo isn't exactly a pork of a frame, especially given the body type/requirements of the majority of those who want that model, and in any case frame weight itself was never really a criterion for any Pegoretti frame, or fork.

These'll sell.Of course they will sell; the interesting unknown is how many, and how many as a proportion of the catalogue. I think it will be difficult to displace the Duende and Marcelo as the (I have been told) mainstay frames.

It would be fun to talk with someone who has ridden a lot/nearly every Pegoretti frame including the old alu frames.

82Picchio
10-31-2019, 02:52 PM
what size? any photos of builds?

i think i asked before but you might have missed it

I don't have photos. The bikes are long since sold.

rallizes
10-31-2019, 02:53 PM
I don't have photos. The bikes are long since sold.

oh that's too bad

what size did you ride?

82Picchio
10-31-2019, 02:59 PM
oh that's too bad

what size did you ride?

I ride 60cm frames. Found a faded photo of me on a 2005 Marcelo at the 2005 Davis Double Century, grimacing for the camera on something steep.

rallizes
10-31-2019, 03:04 PM
@82Picchio

time flies!

82Picchio
10-31-2019, 03:07 PM
I’m curious too - don’t mean to be snarky, I just don’t understand why you’d buy #3, #4, or #5 if you didn’t like the earlier purchases??

The first bike was the no-name frame, which was a fantastic descender, but just OK otherwise. I didn't like its aero-shaped downtube either, so off it went. Then, I got a 2005 Marcelo, which I thought too stiff. The Duende followed in ~2007, acquired for its supposed flexibility and to me it rode mealy-like. Then, I got a Luigino from the estate of the doctor-collector in Michigan. It rode like a nice lugged bike, but not better than any other nice lugged bike I'd ridden. Because it was worth more to Dario fanboys, I could sell it for more than other nice bikes, which I continued to ride happily. With everyone continuing to sing Marcelo's praises I thought maybe I was missing something the first time around, so I got the second one. Nope, still too stiff. Sold it to a friend, who is a stronger rider than I and he thought it rode "like a brick." His words.

82Picchio
10-31-2019, 03:10 PM
@82Picchio

time flies!

No kidding...

82Picchio
10-31-2019, 03:21 PM
Snip: My point wasn't whether you know anything about Pegs but rather - here's a frame which those closest to Dario have produced in his honor and you decide to piss all over it with a sarcastic critical comment.

I am not pissing all over this frame, but all over the idea that stiffer is better for everyone. In MY opinion, most of the Pegoretti frames were way too stiff for general consumption. I'll piss all over the idea that stiffer is better all day long any day of the week.

Kirk007
10-31-2019, 04:19 PM
Snip:

I am not pissing all over this frame, but all over the idea that stiffer is better for everyone. In MY opinion, most of the Pegoretti frames were way too stiff for general consumption. I'll piss all over the idea that stiffer is better all day long any day of the week.

still missing, I think, my point. We don't disagree on your complaint re stiffness better better for everyone - applies to about a decade or so of top shelf carbon frames. What I took exception to was the sarcastic criticism - which didn't come off so much of the frame itself - the frame is what it is - rather to me it came off a a criticism of a decision made by the Pegoretti family on what type of frame to build in honor of Dario.

Much is lost in internet communication and maybe my interpretaton of your comment was wrong but it struck me as disrespectful and unnecessary cold water on what must have been a very happy and proud moment for the Pegoretti Botegga. And ATMO there's way too much of that type of behaivour in today's world; it annoys me to see it surface here. If you meant something different so be it.

82Picchio
10-31-2019, 04:58 PM
Thank you Miss Manners...

vincenz
10-31-2019, 08:22 PM
The first bike was the no-name frame, which was a fantastic descender, but just OK otherwise. I didn't like its aero-shaped downtube either, so off it went. Then, I got a 2005 Marcelo, which I thought too stiff. The Duende followed in ~2007, acquired for its supposed flexibility and to me it rode mealy-like. Then, I got a Luigino from the estate of the doctor-collector in Michigan. It rode like a nice lugged bike, but not better than any other nice lugged bike I'd ridden. Because it was worth more to Dario fanboys, I could sell it for more than other nice bikes, which I continued to ride happily. With everyone continuing to sing Marcelo's praises I thought maybe I was missing something the first time around, so I got the second one. Nope, still too stiff. Sold it to a friend, who is a stronger rider than I and he thought it rode "like a brick." His words.

Sounds like a Respo could have been a better purchase for that last one.

jm714
10-31-2019, 08:27 PM
I’m 215 with a BLE custom 64 x 62. My shop said it was the bike for me. This goes back to 2008. I wanted a respo, but Dario wouldn’t do it for me based on my size. In months before he passed I traded emails with him over what my next bike should be; respo, duende or Marcelo. He was emphatic that I should go with a Marcelo. I’m curious if the Round is a good choice for me, especially since I live at the coast, but jeeze $6700 is crazy talk.

robin3mj
10-31-2019, 08:28 PM
Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, shame on me
Fool me five times?!?

Kirk007
10-31-2019, 08:41 PM
Thank you Miss Manners...

No problem. Welcome to the forum newbie, where the discourse has for a decade stayed at a level, in most cases, above the typical internet trash.

echelon_john
10-31-2019, 08:50 PM
Pics! And let me know if you're ever selling it! : )

I’m 215 with a BLE custom 64 x 62. My shop said it was the bike for me. This goes back to 2008. I wanted a respo, but Dario wouldn’t do it for me based on my size. In months before he passed I traded emails with him over what my next bike should be; respo, duende or Marcelo. He was emphatic that I should go with a Marcelo. I’m curious if the Round is a good choice for me, especially since I live at the coast, but jeeze $6700 is crazy talk.

Waldo
10-31-2019, 09:18 PM
No problem. Welcome to the forum newbie, where the discourse has for a decade stayed at a level, in most cases, above the typical internet trash.

Joined in 2007. Yeah, a “newbie.”

Drmojo
10-31-2019, 09:25 PM
I ride 60cm frames. Found a faded photo of me on a 2005 Marcelo at the 2005 Davis Double Century, grimacing for the camera on something steep.

DC has no “steep” parts
:;
vet of 17 DCs in Davis

Peter B
10-31-2019, 10:06 PM
DC has no “steep” parts
vet of 17 DCs in Davis

c'mon mo...there's the one short pitch on the front side of cobb that has us standing at 76gi.

ernmony
10-31-2019, 11:09 PM
I am not feeling the post Dario artwork...

Waldo
10-31-2019, 11:19 PM
DC has no “steep” parts
vet of 17 DCs in Davis

That year we climbed Boggs Mountain to Loch Lomond from Middletown. Steep enough.

Big Dan
11-01-2019, 07:14 AM
Predictable thread.

pjbaz
11-03-2019, 07:06 PM
FWIW, I own a Duende and a Mxxxxxo and they're magnificent while being different and the same all at once.

IF I had the loot (trust me, I spent years looking for a Peg I could afford) I'd buy one a Round for nothing more than having one of the first legacy builds and a better version of the Mxxxxxo, if that's possible.

Love or hate the man, the ethos, the paint or the ride. I don't care, and neither did Mr. Pegoretti :banana:

oldguy00
11-04-2019, 06:04 AM
Please excuse the rookie question (I've never owned a peg), does Mxxxxxo = Marcello? Why?

With regards to the new frame, only thing that stood out to me is it looks like painted over decals all over it. I thought the paint on the respos etc was -way- nicer...

Cheers

vincenz
11-04-2019, 06:37 AM
Please excuse the rookie question (I've never owned a peg), does Mxxxxxo = Marcello? Why?

With regards to the new frame, only thing that stood out to me is it looks like painted over decals all over it. I thought the paint on the respos etc was -way- nicer...

Cheers

Is it decals or is it paint with overlays? Can’t tell in photos.

Mxxxxxo is Marcelo. It was Dario’s father’s name. I believe he changed the model name after Dario disowned him.

jet sanchez
11-04-2019, 06:47 AM
Rode my Marcelo yesterday, loved it.

clarendon
11-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Rode my Marcelo yesterday, loved it.

+1. Still my go to bike after 12 years.

pjbaz
11-04-2019, 04:53 PM

Mxxxxxo is Marcelo. It was Dario’s father’s name. I believe he changed the model name after Dario disowned him.

That's how I heard the story, as well. Originally it was spelled out, but on mine (a 2014) it's mxxxxxo like I write it online.

Also, mine is the Conn Rust paint so the lettering is paint underneath the over-finish. I assume it's always done in paint and not stickers on the other finishes, too.

thirdgenbird
11-04-2019, 11:07 PM
I would still love to find the “custom team” with the blue/red paint and a steel fork.

fre1976
11-05-2019, 03:31 AM
I assume something like this? PM if interested. Getting older seems to mean getting less flexible so I'm not good enough to ride this deda marcelo.

Hilltopperny
11-05-2019, 04:34 AM
This is the first I have seen of the new Round. For a rider like myself that's anywhere between 200-230# this bike makes sense. A stainless Marcelo sounds amazing, but $6700 is a tough pill to swallow.

I have owned a Mxxxxxo, Duende cx and Responsorium and they were all great riding bikes. The Mxxxxxo was one of the most responsive frames I have ever ridden and I never had an issue with the Responsorium even at 200+ lbs. I think the whole weight limit may have been dependent on frame size as mine was a 54 and never felt like it was going to break under me or had an unreasonable amount of flex.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

pjbaz
11-05-2019, 10:38 AM
This is the first I have seen of the new Round. For a rider like myself that's anywhere between 200-230# this bike makes sense. A stainless Marcelo sounds amazing, but $6700 is a tough pill to swallow.

I have owned a Mxxxxxo, Duende cx and Responsorium and they were all great riding bikes. The Mxxxxxo was one of the most responsive frames I have ever ridden and I never had an issue with the Responsorium even at 200+ lbs. I think the whole weight limit may have been dependent on frame size as mine was a 54 and never felt like it was going to break under me or had an unreasonable amount of flex.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

I can concur that his (former) Mxxxxxo is a magnificent ride :banana:

thirdgenbird
11-07-2019, 08:25 PM
I assume something like this? PM if interested. Getting older seems to mean getting less flexible so I'm not good enough to ride this deda marcelo.

Looking for that with the OEM steel fork and a 57ish top tube.

Boar
02-14-2020, 12:18 PM
I'm sure that is very possible. Probably at least a few other builders (Baum, DeKerf, etc.) also.

That's the problem.

"Gotta have metal" has plenty of excellent competition, even more versatile, for in some cases even much less $.

"Gotta have an XCR Marcelo because the Responsorium was a bit too supple and had a weight limit" at $6500+ seems a real stretch. How many of those buyers are out there, especially (not that it matters but surely to some it does) since Pegoretti himself is now gone?

They may be risking, especially in this first year after, even maybe of boutiqueing themselves out too a bit too much. It will be interesting to see how well these sell. I suspect the brand will be fine, but these Rounds won't ever be real hotcakes, but very good for the "proof of innovation" effect that things like this thread are having in terms of keeping the chatter going.

Also, if the frame dates have been replaced with stickers, like the grey one pictured above and below here (I hope that is just a temporary thing for the photos) that is a really bad look. I'm surprised they would even publish that view, actually. It looks really cheap, and goes completely against the spirit (ie a kind of serial number) of the original reason for the painted on ID. :confused:

No stickers!!
I touched it :)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200214/d057cc5b9728cecc1a207599368039a1.jpg

wgp
08-08-2021, 04:41 PM
Reviving this thread because I’m curious if anyone on PL has bought one and ridden it for a while now? I’d love to hear a ride report and longer term owner observations (and I’m sure I’m not alone!) …

caneye
08-08-2021, 10:01 PM
I came across a Round review on youtube in case you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unz1ECzlpWQ&t=4s

wgp
08-08-2021, 11:50 PM
Thanks for this! I’ll give it a watch …

eurodude
08-09-2021, 12:00 AM
Don’t know if you have already seen this:
https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/pegoretti-round-worlds-first-review

jkbrwn
08-09-2021, 12:23 AM
Don’t know if you have already seen this:
https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/pegoretti-round-worlds-first-review

A respectable shop but Cyclefit are a Peg dealer. They’re not exactly gonna give it a bad ‘review’.

Waldo62
08-09-2021, 01:27 AM
I came across a Round review on youtube in case you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unz1ECzlpWQ&t=4s

Good lord, Mr. Animal Magnetism put me to sleep 5 minutes into the 24 minute review.

wgp
08-09-2021, 09:56 AM
I’ve seen the CycleFit review, thanks! More curious about whether any PLers own one?

Caballero
08-09-2021, 10:12 AM
I don’t own one though I did spend a day riding a friends when I was in Tokyo.
It was a cm smaller than what I’d ideally ride but fit was fine.

It was an incredibly stiff frame, especially in the head tube and naturally the rear end. I rode about 100-120kms that day and remember remarking how smooth the bike was, how well power was transferred and planted in to the ground with no bb flex.
His bike was sr12 with lightweights and Deda finishing kit and it wasn’t all that heavy though I didn’t weigh it.

The price is eye watering for the frame !
I think I have a pic or too somewhere. Let me see.

martl
08-10-2021, 12:46 AM

When i discussed my Mxxxxxo with Dario, he himself called it a Marcelo several times. So, so do i :)