PDA

View Full Version : Paramounts and Refurbishing Old Bikes

chuckred
12-27-2006, 07:58 AM
I noticed in the "Old Frames" thread that there are several posters with old Paramounts out there. Also that many have other classic frames - couldn't tell whether they've been refurbished or just loved for years...

I've been going back and forth for several years now about whether to make a project and spend the $s to send my 75 Paramount back to Waterford for painting and decals (I bought mine in 76 from whom I assume was the original owner, and it didn't have any decals at the time- anyone know if that was common at the time?). I figure that's about $500 - 600 depending on level of restoration, plus it may need a new tube or so on top of that.

Of course, once that's done, would need to start replacing the beat up Campy NR, etc. Hoods are rotted and ripped (and were replaced years ago wtih non Campy gum anyway), brake levers are scratched from a major crash, Regina 5 spd freewheel needs to be replaced, etc., etc.

Other option would be - converting to fixed - never had one, always kind of wanted to try it out, but at 50, not sure if it'd be smart for the knees... Anyone have any helpful hints to tell if the rust is reaching a dangerous point? I've thought of taking some sand paper and exploring...

I suppose I could always part it out or sell it as is, but not sure that the $s would make it worth getting rid of it. I mean, it's been crashed pretty seriously a couple of times, it's got rust, all of the NR parts were seriously used - it was my main ride from 76 - 99!

Or, just keep it as is, take it out every now and then for old time's sake and sink the $'s into a new state of the art Ridley Damocles (since that's what our club pro-deal will be this year). And, lest anyone want to start into the Campy vs. Shimano argument, don't bother, there isn't one... it'll be Campy... it's a road bike, not a mountain bike!

Any thoughts from those who have gone the restoration route? It kind of appeals to me and sounds fun, but then I have to step back and wonder if it really makes sense. I'd be curious to hear from the "bike as work of art" crowd vs. the "bike as tool" crowd - pros and cons of restoring vs. keeping as is? Safe to ride occasionally, or just hang it up?

Thanks!

Joel
12-27-2006, 08:19 AM
It seems that the primary question would revolve around 'what you want to do with it'.

I pondered some of the same issues on the Team Raleigh that I just rebuilt. Should it be refinished? Should it get NOS parts? Ultimately I thought about if it would really be used instead of the Serotta. Nope. It would just be used for fun...on sunny Sunday's when I wouldn't be going all that fast.

With that purpose clear, then the decisions were easier. Maximum rebuild for minimum money (a total of like $6 for some cables).

Mine was in pretty good condition to begin with. But, if you have serious rust issues and the bike has been crashed, it may be worth having it checked out.

Seems like the main thing is to just have fun with it..geared or fixed. To that, the roads are dry, the sun is out and it's time to ride!

Best,

Joel

J.Greene
12-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Chuckred,

I have resored several paramounts. In one case the bike was sentimental, the other I just wanted to do it. atmo paramounts are so common that you won't be creating anything of value by restoring it. The only reason to do it is if you feel good about doing the restoration. To replace a tube and repaint the frame would be more than what a frame like that is worth on ebay.

JG

texbike
12-27-2006, 08:27 AM
This has been a popular topic recently on a number of different forums. The general concensus seems to be to make the most of what is there and keep it as close to original as possible. Patina, baby! Strip it down, clean, scrub, polish, rebuild all bearings, and reassemble with new cables, rubber, chain, grips, etc. Replace major components as needed.

As wonderful as these Paramounts and other old bikes are, they just don't stack up to new machines with modern components but are a great pleasure on a nice, sunny day for a slow, easy ride.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the project!

texbike

sg8357
12-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Chuckred,

I have resored several paramounts. In one case the bike was sentimental, the other I just wanted to do it. atmo paramounts are so common that you won't be creating anything of value by restoring it. (snip)JG

I'd agree with that when talking about bike boom and later Paramounts,
60s and earlier Paramounts are a lot more interesting. I find lightly restored
or original bikes more to my liking.

Scott G.

J.Greene
12-27-2006, 08:45 AM
what tube needs replacing?

JG

PBWrench
12-27-2006, 08:56 AM
CR -- I restored a '77 Raleigh Pro primarily for sentimental reasons, investing a chunk of change. I used to own one and I sold it many years ago and always regretted that. The truth is I tend not to ride the bike that often. It is substantially heavier than my other bikes and I rarely take it out on group rides. It is usually reserved for short solo spins and I can't stop smiling when riding the bike. Was it worth it? Absolutely!

chuckred
12-27-2006, 09:59 AM
what tube needs replacing?

JG

the top tube has alot of rust - see pic...

Sorry for poor quality, just ran down to snap while it's on the trainer.

I wouldn't guess it would break catastrophically in the middle...?

Roads are icy and snowpacked - time to ride... the trainer.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2755/9/80/29/80/96/0/96802980910_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2755/9/80/78/32/79/0/79327880910_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2691/9/80/69/42/77/0/77426980910_0_ALB.jpg

I'm guessing I'll save the $s, maybe take it out for a ride once or twice a year - stay out of the mountains for safety and just hang on to it for sentimental reasons.

harlond
12-27-2006, 10:21 AM
After I scored a brand-new titanium frame and built it up, I had to figure out what to do with my 1995 Serotta. I didn't really want to sell it, so I had it powdercoated (<$300) and converted it to a singlespeed. You can do conversions on the cheap, but I went ahead and splurged on new wheels and some low- to mid-level components. I made no effort to restore the bike to its original look, I just chose a color I liked. Once you set aside the idea of restoring it to its original condition, I think you can find much more reasonable repainting solutions.

When I was done, I had a great-looking bike that rides great and is actually pretty light. I like the bike and probably rode it this year as much as my higher-zoot geared bike, primarily around the neighborhood. In fact, I've been thinking about putting it on the trainer, but I might value it too highly for that. So I guess you should put me in the conversion camp, and if you think you might want to put it on the trainer, don't spend too much on the job or you'll find yourself needing another bike.

Ken Robb
12-27-2006, 12:40 PM
A pal sent his dad's 1970ish Paramount to Waterford this year and it came back better than new. It looked like new but I'm betting the new paints are more durable than the originals.