PDA

View Full Version : Direct Mount Brakes

jm714
10-28-2019, 08:52 AM
I was looking at that Bishop ATH and I noticed it had direct mount brakes on it. I’m curious if they allow for larger tires than typical brakes. I was on the Shimano website and they say clearance for 25mm tires. Sram says they work with 28mm tires. EE said clearance for 28mm wide rims. And are there any carbon aftermarket forks out there for them? I couldn’t find any, at least not on Enve or Whiskey sites.

So is the advantage just better performance?

sparky33
10-28-2019, 10:47 AM
Tire clearance is largely a function of the height of brake mounting hole too.

The Moots tapered road fork (https://shop.moots.com/products/moots-tapered-road-fork) easily clears a 30 with both Red and eeBrakes, regular center-mount style. So you don't necessarily need direct mount to enhance tire clearance, you need the fork to have the brake positioned in the right place.

Mark McM
10-28-2019, 12:23 PM
As above, tire clearance is usually more dependent on the frame/fork (including the brake mounting locations on the frame/fork). That being said, my Trek Emonda with EE Brakes will fit 30m tires just fine.

ultraman6970
10-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Cane creek... those things are just insane!!! They have clearance like for 30mm tires if not more.... Check them out.

prototoast
10-28-2019, 12:56 PM
I don't think there's much of a difference, at least with comparable Shimano brakes. See attached picture. Both are 28mm tires on wide rims. The regular mount brakes show lots of clearance, but the pads are at the bottom of the arms. The direct mount show less clearance, but the pads are high up. The differences seem to be brake mount placement, not anything inherent to the brakes.

For reference, the fork is a Trek Emonda fork I used for a custom frame.

jtbadge
10-28-2019, 01:33 PM
That Emonda fork is weird. I wonder why they located the brake bolts so close to the axle? Your pads are at the top of the adjustment range and don’t even get centered on the brake track.

Mark McM
10-28-2019, 01:49 PM
That Emonda fork is weird. I wonder why they located the brake bolts so close to the axle? Your pads are at the top of the adjustment range and don’t even get centered on the brake track.

I wonder what year Emonda fork that is? I've got a 2019 Emonda, and the brake bolts are much higher than that, and as a consequence the brakes have much more tire clearance.

slambers3
10-28-2019, 02:02 PM
I wonder what year Emonda fork that is? I've got a 2019 Emonda, and the brake bolts are much higher than that, and as a consequence the brakes have much more tire clearance.

I had an ‘18 Emonda SL6 with the bontrager direct-mount brakes. Cleared 30mm schwalbe g-one speeds without issue

GScot
10-28-2019, 02:55 PM
I have an 18 Domane with Bontrager direct mounts. They work just fine as brakes and clear 30s with only the release toggle. 32s could work but would squeeze between the pads and need a couple turns of the adjuster if the tire is inflated.

jm714
10-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Cool info, thank you.