PDA

View Full Version : Time for a mirror

Birddog
10-28-2019, 08:12 AM
I've finally decided to invest in a rear view mirror as I just can't turn my head enough to get a clear rear view and my route home has too many left turns. What do you guys recommend and maybe more importantly what do you avoid.
I'm ready for the cat calls and jeers, safety first.

charliedid
10-28-2019, 08:15 AM
I've finally decided to invest in a rear view mirror as I just can't turn my head enough to get a clear rear view and my route home has too many left turns. What do you guys recommend and maybe more importantly what do you avoid.

Dedicated commuter bike or do you want one regardless? Flat bar, drop bar?

If you wear glasses all the time I love the Take-A-Look mirror and this way it's not fixed to one helmet or one bike.

Birddog
10-28-2019, 08:22 AM
Not a commuter but I wear glasses all the time. I'm not too keen on the idea of a bike mounted mirror as I ride 3 different bikes pretty regularly.

weisan
10-28-2019, 08:22 AM
This is what I use and prefer...

http://www.zefal.com/en/mirrors/109-spin.html

charliedid
10-28-2019, 08:27 AM
Not a commuter but I wear glasses all the time. I'm not too keen on the idea of a bike mounted mirror as I ride 3 different bikes pretty regularly.

I'd get the regular Take-A-Look

Excellent product.

Steve in SLO
10-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Every time this comes up, I do a shout out for the viewpoint mirror. It is effective and mounts inside your glasses so no one knows it’s there-very important to a vain ex-racer like myself. Set up is a little bit fiddly, and it takes a few rides to dial in how to look through it, but then you are good to go on any bike you use.
https://www.cycleaware.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

MagicHour
10-28-2019, 08:33 AM
Cateye BM-45 Barend Mirror (https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/) Cheap, light, effective and don't look terrible on a road bike. Put 'em on both bikes this year and wouldn't ride without one now. I couldn't get on with a Take-A-Look, despite many tries.

Here's a pic.

wc1934
10-28-2019, 08:37 AM

No cat calls or jeers from me. Super great investment. I have no idea how I rode all those years without one. I tried the helmet mirrors but couldn't adjust to the way it was located. When I turned my head the mirror blocked my view. I ended up with the Italian Road Mirror. Game changer for me - buy one and you won't look back - I know, bad pun. But seriously, it is a great!

https://www.italianroadbikemirror.com/

Ruckusdog
10-28-2019, 08:41 AM

I tried the helmet and and glasses mounted mirrors and didn’t like the fact that I had to hold my head at just the right angle to see the road behind. I now use the Cycle aware roadie bar end mirror and I really like the wide view. The ball and socket stays in place on bumpy roads, but will move if you hit it.

Although I always use the mirror, I don’t move to the left without a double check head swivel. An empty mirror isn’t proof that there’s nothing there.

buddybikes
10-28-2019, 08:46 AM
Why isn't there a kickstarter with camera attached to seattube and looking at your phone or Garmin, just like a car

p nut
10-28-2019, 08:49 AM
Why isn't there a kickstarter with camera attached to seattube and looking at your phone or Garmin, just like a car

Can't imagine battery life would be great on something like that, especially if you're using GPS. But maybe since everything is going electric, you could tie into Di2 battery.

But too much tech gizmo to me. I'd just get a (bar mounted) mirror.

commonguy001
10-28-2019, 09:13 AM
I've been using Sprintech bar end mirrors since 2008 and while I've tried others, still think this is the best I've used. The convex mirror, adjustability and it stays put on most rough stuff including gravel roads.

I've though about using the Italian bar end that AVT Bike has sold but have not yet although it looks pretty good.

Mike Bryant
10-28-2019, 09:14 AM
I like Take-A-Look also. I use the compact on my glasses and a standard mounted on one of my helmets (zip ties). It is a flat mirror which doesn’t distort image and gives a better perspective of distance than do the convex ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmbicycles
10-28-2019, 09:22 AM
I tried the take-a-look, but it didn't work well with my glasses (oakley frames were too wide and the shape didn't fit), so although I liked the idea of that one it didn't work for me. I haven't tried another since, although its probably time.

ctcyclistbob
10-28-2019, 09:31 AM
Dedicated commuter bike or do you want one regardless? Flat bar, drop bar?

If you wear glasses all the time I love the Take-A-Look mirror and this way it's not fixed to one helmet or one bike.

https://takealookactive.com/

Be careful with that link; the site appears to be infected.

But, found on Amazon and REI that mirror looks to be worth a try.

tv_vt
10-28-2019, 09:32 AM
I ended up with the Italian Road Mirror. Game changer for me - buy one and you won't look back - I know, bad pun. But seriously, it is a great!

I highly second this option, the Italian Bike Mirror. Used to be sold thru Aspire Velo Tech but now seems available thru Amazon. It''s a real glass mirror set in a rubber frame that goes on your outside/traffic-side drop under the handlebar tape. About $30 a piece. I have it on every bike I own and would not ride without it. Very unobtrusive, but works very well. Non-adjustable, so you have to set it up right, but once positioned it works really well. Just incredibly handy, useful, and safe. Get one.

djg21
10-28-2019, 12:27 PM

If you use a Garmin, there is the Varia instead of a mirror. It looks pretty cool. I actually have been considering one to use along with my Fly6CE camera/light (which is less than dependable unfortunately).

ultraman6970
10-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Op, hope you use them because here a lot of people have them and clearly they dont use them at all, or they have them looking somewhere else?

KarlC
10-28-2019, 12:38 PM
No cat calls or jeers from me. Super great investment. I have no idea how I rode all those years without one. I tried the helmet mirrors but couldn't adjust to the way it was located. When I turned my head the mirror blocked my view. I ended up with the Italian Road Mirror. Game changer for me - buy one and you won't look back - I know, bad pun. But seriously, it is a great!

Another one like it .....

https://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Left-Drop-Mirror-Black/dp/B0017WP7XU/ref=sr_1_44?dchild=1&keywords=bike+mirror&qid=1572287795&sr=8-44

bironi
10-28-2019, 01:17 PM
Cateye BM-45 Barend Mirror (https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/) Cheap, light, effective and don't look terrible on a road bike. Put 'em on both bikes this year and wouldn't ride without one now. I couldn't get on with a Take-A-Look, despite many tries.

Here's a pic.

+ 1, I have one on each bike.

charliedid
10-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Be careful with that link; the site appears to be infected.

But, found on Amazon and REI that mirror looks to be worth a try.

Yikes. Did you get some sort of alert? Pretty sure it’s their url so no certain. I’m on a Mac.

charliedid
10-28-2019, 03:17 PM
To join the choir we do sell a fair number of The Italian job. [emoji2957]

Hawker
10-28-2019, 03:58 PM

No, actually a GREAT pun! HA! And even if it is a bad pun...it's no reflection on you.

steamer
10-28-2019, 04:01 PM

+3. I've got one on all three of my bikes.

glepore
10-28-2019, 05:04 PM
Nothing beats a varia with a wahoo or garmin.

I've used the viewpoint, and liked it, until it scratched my cornea.

The italian mirror is as good as a mirror gets, but the varia alerts you without having to look.

jamesau
10-28-2019, 05:23 PM
I've been using the Take-a-Look for over 15 years; I prefer the short version.
Things I like:
1) The optics are true and excellent.
2) Once accustomed to it, the field of view of the glasses mounted mirror is expansive and far better than a bar-end variety.
3) For the N+1 type, one is all you need.
4) If you wear Rx glasses, your rear image is corrected too.
5) You can quickly remove it to use your glasses for other activities.
6) It's great for those times I row bow.

I have the Viewpoint also and would use it instead, if not for the fact that the image is not corrected by my Rx. Also, the Viewpoint really requires a dedicated pair of glasses.

smead
10-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Another vote for take a look, been using for 15 years, I would ride without a helmet, I would never ride without the mirror.

Anyone who cat calls someone wearing a mirror needs to be dropped by someone wearing a mirror.

It does take a bit of time to get used to seeing well with it. At first, it might seem hard to get a good look, but once you get used to it and get it at the right angle, it works perfectly.

teleguy57
10-28-2019, 06:28 PM
I highly second this option, the Italian Bike Mirror. Used to be sold thru Aspire Velo Tech but now seems available thru Amazon. It''s a real glass mirror set in a rubber frame that goes on your outside/traffic-side drop under the handlebar tape. About $30 a piece. I have it on every bike I own and would not ride without it. Very unobtrusive, but works very well. Non-adjustable, so you have to set it up right, but once positioned it works really well. Just incredibly handy, useful, and safe. Get one.

This for a third and beyond.... I ride with a Garmin Varia radar, and this is perfect on it's own or with the radar as a check on where the vehicle is that's showing on the screen. For a while I had one on each side for group rides (the peleton rotates both ways, eh?) but moved the RH one to another bike.

Still looking for something that works as well for my flat bar bikes, but this is the real deal. I feel naked without one on my bike.

zmudshark
10-28-2019, 06:33 PM
I have Spintech mirrors on all of my road bikes. The Italian Racing mirror is used by some friends, also good.

Sprintech is plastic, Italian glass, so better vision and longevity on the Italian, not as adjustable, though.

Sboat
10-28-2019, 06:47 PM
I really like the look of the Italian bar end, might have to try that one.

parallelfish
10-28-2019, 07:19 PM
Italian Road Bike Mirror here as well.

It is somewhat adjustable as long as you get the initial installation in the ballpark.

warren128
10-28-2019, 07:34 PM
I use a Zefal Spy (strap on, bar end), that I transfer between my N+1 bikes, along with my frame pump and seat bag :) It feels weird (naked) when I ride without a mirror nowadays. I also have a Take A Look, but it didn't attach well on the glasses that I use.

Burnette
10-28-2019, 08:38 PM
The best mirror I ever had was good in a way and bad in another.

It's the Bkackburn Road Mirror. What was good about it was that it was huge. The mirror was big and gave you a wide view of the road behind. It sits on the brake hood, so it's up higher, you didn't have to look so far downward to use it, it's like a motorcycle mirror. It was easily adjustable too, bends and swivels.

The bad was that it was huge! :p it sticks way out. Cars would seemingly give me a wider berth, maybe it was to clear the mirror, Ha! Being so big and out in the wind, it bothered me. Whatever watts I lost using it were honestly probably negligible but looking at it gave the feeling of riding with a barn door hanging off the bars.

But it's the easiest to adjust, has the biggest mirror, you can look at it easily because it sits high so I used it more often. No car ever caught me by surprise with it. I still have it and if commuting I would use it every ride. As I release my inner aero weenieism I will probably put it back on for regular rides again. It's not pretty but it's effective. And just twenty bucks.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/road-bike-mirror?googleMerchant=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwo9rtBRAdEiwA_WXcFmHFkZgr04Y83RJUDcZe sflOGJG4k0R3rk9Qu3WdOpMgBsyoYRKOBhoCqMcQAvD_BwE#pi d=2041496

jtakeda
10-28-2019, 08:41 PM

Well, since you used the word INVEST

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/handlebars/berthoud-leather-bar-end-mirror-mk-ii/

lol. a ridiculous price but also the best looking

bironi
10-28-2019, 10:26 PM

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/handlebars/berthoud-leather-bar-end-mirror-mk-ii/

A buddy of mine purchased one of those.
I tried it, and it was no better than the 13 buck Cateye.
He's now riding the Cateye's.

Rpoole8537
10-29-2019, 01:55 PM
I use a Hubbub helmet mirror. Nice and sturdy and gives me a good clear look. As a helmet mirror, it transfers easily to all five bikes. It is so sturdy, I can leave it on my helmet in my gear bag.

bambam
10-29-2019, 03:05 PM
I usually use a glasses arm mirror as I have many bikes and a few different helmets.

I also have one that is attached to the helmet.

Been using one or the other for so many years I forget how much I use it until I forget it on a ride.

I like the Those 2 options over the bar mount ones. With thoses I see people swerve when they look down at them also I believe it distracts from your forward looking vision too much. Whereas glasses and helmet only require a quick glance.

Hemet one usually in the winter when I wear a tight Balaclava.

don't worry about a real sturdy mount because in a crash you would want it to fly away and not in you eye.
That is probably another reason I like the glasses mounted type. plus I always ride with glasses.

Ride Safe,
BamBam

MikeD
10-29-2019, 03:39 PM
I use the short Take-a-look mirror. I like it but wonder if someone would come out with a convex mirror so I can see more width of the road behind without having to turn my head slightly.

Bostic
10-29-2019, 03:45 PM
I've used the Take A Look mirrors quite a bit over the years. I especially like having the mirror when riding the Tandem. My main beef with them is on long downhills when the Sun is behind me, I have to move my head more than I want to to avoid the reflection.

I might try one of those bar end mounted mirrors. Traffic isn't getting any better in the Bay Area that's for sure.

Hawker
10-29-2019, 03:48 PM
OK,OK...you've convinced me, I'm going to try one or two of these. And I've been noticing that as I've gotten older I just cannot crank my head around to the left as easily as I used to.

Guess I'll add this to my Christmas list for myself.

weisan
10-29-2019, 03:53 PM
Guess I'll add this to my Christmas list for myself.

C'mon hawker pal! It's only a few bucks, get it goin' already, why wait till Christmas?!! We are talking about personal safety here, get it done today! If not, I am gonna beg off your address and send one your way myself!

OtayBW
10-29-2019, 05:39 PM
I've been using one of these for years. I actually find it more robust and oddly, more adjustable than the Take-a-Look, even though it has fewer adjustment points. Made from bottle cap (your choice) and spoke with liquid gasket. A nice piece of work, IMO. https://www.etsy.com/listing/169634854/beer-view-mirror-international-bicycling?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_c-toys_and_games-sports_and_outdoor_games-bikes_and_cycling-cycling_accessories&utm_custom1=e2043eb9-4d98-48a9-9e26-e0bbbfee789a&utm_content=go_1844178617_70025086512_346429830878 _pla-315282688459_c__169634854&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Jmq-NDC5QIVDWyGCh2TIQjIEAQYAyABEgKE7vD_BwE (No affiliation)

Clancy
10-29-2019, 06:10 PM

I have this and it’s the first mirror I’ve tried that I find actually works. I now depend on it. Not sure why the other negative comments. When I have mine positioned properly it offers a clear, vibration free rear view.

It’s pricy but it’s beautifully made with high quality mirror glass and perfectly machined aluminum housing. It holds its position solidly - I did a pretty bouncy 57 mile gravel ride yesterday, mirror was rock solid.

Considering the design, functionality, and the almost jewel like finish and comparing it to other well made accessories like Chris King cages or a Spurcycle bell I’d say it’s worth every penny.

And, it actually looks nice, adds to the bike.

bikinchris
10-29-2019, 08:27 PM
Did you do know that some of the US' most feared criterium racers have used rear view mirrors?

I use a mirror on my glasses. You can sweep multiple lanes with no problem. My mirror is labelled "Bear Essentials" but I can't find a source online. It uses a stainless steel wire to hold the mirror. Unlike a handlebar mirror, it bounces at the same frequency as my eyeballs, for a better view.

weisan
10-29-2019, 09:11 PM
Did you do know that some of the US' most feared criterium racers have used rear view mirrors?

I use a mirror on my glasses.

Chris pal, you are one of the US' most feared criterium racers.
:p

Birddog
10-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all the info. I had an REI order to make so I threw in a Take A Look mirror with the order. I'll give it a try.

teleguy57
10-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Made from bottle cap (your choice) and spoke with liquid gasket. https://www.etsy.com/listing/169634854/beer-view-mirror-international-bicycling?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_c-toys_and_games-sports_and_outdoor_games-bikes_and_cycling-cycling_accessories&utm_custom1=e2043eb9-4d98-48a9-9e26-e0bbbfee789a&utm_content=go_1844178617_70025086512_346429830878 _pla-315282688459_c__169634854&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Jmq-NDC5QIVDWyGCh2TIQjIEAQYAyABEgKE7vD_BwE (No affiliation)

I can see where the adjustability may be good. But I'm a big "no thank you" on putting serrated metal next to my face/eyes while on a bike....

bikinchris
10-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Chris pal, you are one of the US' most feared criterium racers.
:p

I wish.