PDA

View Full Version : Early Shamal vs early Vento?

Sboat
10-27-2019, 04:59 PM
I have an early version of the Campagnolo Shamal’s, being just 16 spokes, I was wondering how the Vento 20 spoke wheels compare for strength? A friend of mine thinks the Shamal’s are bullet proof, but more is always better as far as I’m concerned. Any thoughts

yarbsr02
10-27-2019, 07:23 PM
I agree more material is always gonna be stronger, but agree both are great wheels for their day. I wonder if you by chance know the internal width on those Shamals?

Sboat
10-27-2019, 08:02 PM
Internal width?

oldpotatoe
10-28-2019, 06:13 AM
I have an early version of the Campagnolo Shamal’s, being just 16 spokes, I was wondering how the Vento 20 spoke wheels compare for strength? A friend of mine thinks the Shamal’s are bullet proof, but more is always better as far as I’m concerned. Any thoughts

I think same rim, just different hub and more spokes for Vento so..all things being equal, 20h stronger than 16h..But both pretty burley wheels..not light rim...

ultraman6970
10-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Burly? ;P

oldpotatoe
10-28-2019, 07:47 AM
Burly? ;P

Considering how much it weighed and how heavy the rim was..it WAS a reliable wheel..

martl
10-28-2019, 07:54 AM
Considering how much it weighed and how heavy the rim was..it WAS a reliable wheel..

..insane tension on the spokes, iirc..

Jef58
10-28-2019, 05:08 PM
I had a set of the Vento's since the late 1990's until earlier this year. Basically the Chorus version and back in those days there was not much difference between Chorus and Record other than non distinguishable weight. They were heavy but had a very nice ride, better than you would think given the rim depth. IIRC, they had some very good areo numbers, even by today's standards. I sold them to a Paceliner here and I hope he's enjoying them as much as I did. They were very well designed and built wheels.

oldpotatoe
10-29-2019, 05:40 AM
As an aside..Shamal introduced in 1993..Gweiss-Ballan, along with titanium DeRosas, used these wheels and in their infamous 1993/4 years, Campagnolo offered a cash bonus to anybody who won something using these wheels(rumor was $50,000)..turns out it wasn't the wheels that made for all these wins....:eek:

Another an aside..look up the Rouleur article about Berzin...really good and you'll notice, they don't mention his name thruout the entire article..:)

jemdet
10-29-2019, 07:29 AM
As an aside..tShamal introduced in 1993..Gweiss-Ballan, along with titanium DeRosas, used these wheels and in their infamous 1993/4 years, Campagnolo offered a cash bonus to anybody who won something using these wheels(rumor was $50,000)..turns out it wasn't the wheels that made for all these wins....:eek:

Another an aside..look up the Rouleur article about Berzin...really good and you'll notice, they don't mention his name thruout the entire article..:)

Those wheels made quite a difference during Fleche Wallonne '94 :)

carpediemracing
10-30-2019, 06:42 AM

I think they're strong but unless you're riding them for appearance they're not very good functionally speaking. Stiff, heavy, not super serviceable.

I had the Ventos. I bought spokes just in case but none ever broke. Ultimately the rims cracked at the spoke eyelets, probably when I double flatted when I hit a depressed manhole cover while drafting a truck at 45 mph. That impact flat spotted the rims so I gave the wheels to a teammate. He eventually moved to Colorado, I'm sure they're junked by now.