PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Titanium 8sp cassette?

Sboat
10-27-2019, 03:11 PM
I acquired a Campagnolo (NOS) Record full titanium 13-23 8speed cassette, with ti-lockring. My problem is the lock ring is too small for the intended hub. Can I use a steel lock ring with the titanium, or should I use an aluminum ring, seeing the titanium ring is probably not going to be any easy item to find.

VC Slim
10-27-2019, 11:38 PM
Not sure if this is 100% accurate but think that titanium cassettes only work with titanium hubs. Otherwise I'd have been all over those cassettes.

martl
10-28-2019, 02:06 AM
I acquired a Campagnolo (NOS) Record full titanium 13-23 8speed cassette, with ti-lockring. My problem is the lock ring is too small for the intended hub. Can I use a steel lock ring with the titanium, or should I use an aluminum ring, seeing the titanium ring is probably not going to be any easy item to find.

from memory:

Lock rings: At the time of the 8-spd/8-spd Titanium, to my knowledge, there were no fewer that 3 (!) different lock ring thread sizes for Campagnolo (almost indistiguishable by the looks)

Rotors:
ordinary 8spd rotors have shallow groves. Only steel 8-spd cogs fit.
the 8spd Ti compatible rotors (to be found on, i think, Record hubs, Shamals, Boras) had deeper groves for the Ti cogs.
9/10spd rotors have a new pattern of groves altogether, but they can take the 8spd Ti cogs but there will be fewer contact points, so the alloy rotor will suffer over time

To make the confusion complete, on some, but not all, lower group Campagnolo hubs of the 8spd era the rotor can be swapped for an 8spd Ti one (if one can find one).

oldpotatoe
10-28-2019, 05:26 AM

Sure, use the steel one..put some lube on the threads. Ya know, those can only go onto a 1996, hub with silver alloy(aluminum) freehub..8s.

As per the chart below..the first gen aluminum freehub body(8s titanium cogset) uses a 26mm(thread diameter) lockring..the 8s ones used a 29mm one and the 1998 and later freehub bodies(oversize aluminum axle) used a 27mm one.

And the 8s all ti cogset had a unique spline that fit on only the 1996 'titanium' rear hub..and the 1997 and later ones that said '9speed' on it.

Sboat
10-28-2019, 06:15 AM
Thanks for that chart, now I think I figured it out. I have a “9” speed Mirage rear hub, and the all titanium 8 speed cassette fits it perfectly, except the ti lock ring. I’m hoping to switch this cassette body to a record/campy 8 speed hub.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2019, 06:20 AM
Thanks for that chart, now I think I figured it out. I have a “9” speed Mirage rear hub, and the all titanium 8 speed cassette fits it perfectly, except the ti lock ring. I’m hoping to switch this cassette body to a record/campy 8 speed hub.

Yup, that is true..the 9s hubs DO work with the all ti cogset. Why swap the FHB if the ti cogset works OK? The 'Mirage' rear hub, being a cartridge bearing affair with a different axle..cannot put that FHB onto a Record/Chorus rear hub.
It is fairly easy to find a Record or Chorus 9s FHB..1997/8...

Sboat
10-28-2019, 06:24 AM
So, the 97/98 Record/Chorus 9 speed rear hub spline looks the same as the Mirage one I have? If so, then buying one of those will do the trick.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2019, 07:49 AM
So, the 97/98 Record/Chorus 9 speed rear hub spline looks the same as the Mirage one I have? If so, then buying one of those will do the trick.

Yup...the 98 with a aluminum axle was more 'sculpted, less material but the spline pattern was essentially the same.

Mark McM
10-28-2019, 10:13 AM
Yup, that is true..the 9s hubs DO work with the all ti cogset. Why swap the FHB if the ti cogset works OK? The 'Mirage' rear hub, being a cartridge bearing affair with a different axle..cannot put that FHB onto a Record/Chorus rear hub.
It is fairly easy to find a Record or Chorus 9s FHB..1997/8...

Just to add my 2 cents - in my experience, fitting an 8spd Ti cassettes to a 9spd hub requires adding a spacer under the cassette, or else the lockring won't tighten far enough. A 1mm spacer will probably be enough.

oliver1850
10-28-2019, 11:03 AM
In 1998, Veloce and Athena hubs were 9 speed in addition to Record and Chorus. I assume your cassette would fit the hubs of the lower groups as well.

You can swap the Mirage freehub body onto the 8 speed hub. I've done this several times. You will need a spacer of the right width to give some clearance between the freehub body and the hub shell. I generally make one but you may be able to use one of the Mirage axle spacers. Seems to me someone told me that worked on their hub conversion.