PDA

View Full Version : Peter Sagan to the Giro-2020

oldpotatoe
10-26-2019, 08:17 AM
FORZA, to the 'best GT, but as VN said,
Sagan’s also committed to the Tour de France, so the Giro-Tour double, with a possible Olympic run on the pavement and the worlds at the end, not to mention the spring classics to start, makes for a long season.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/10/commentary/giro-sagan-is-match-made-in-grand-tour-heaven_502092

More info here..NOT TOO EARLY to talk about 2020..

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/10/analysis-five-first-impressions-of-the-2020-giro-ditalia-route/

ultraman6970
10-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Wonder if sagan will start his transition to GC rider and losing weight?? He won all he needed to win already IMO. Actually more than many riders ever will.

Jaybee
10-26-2019, 10:04 AM
In the modern era, is there an example of the sprinter-GC transition working? Sagan is better than most his size at getting over the small hills, but still a ways off of GC level climbing. I'm aware of some pure TT/track guys like Wiggins, Thomas, Dumoulin making a transition to classics style riding then GC, but can't remember a sprinter.

PQJ
10-26-2019, 10:18 AM
I wouldn’t classify Sagan as a pure sprinter, but, yeah, transitioning to GC contender would be a stretch. Would be cool, though.

Jaybee
10-26-2019, 11:09 AM
I wouldn’t classify Sagan as a pure sprinter, but, yeah, transitioning to GC contender would be a stretch. Would be cool, though.

I think this is fair. He's more of classics rider with a really good sprint.

tctyres
10-26-2019, 11:14 AM

Yeah, definitely a pure sprinter. He's taken a lot of bigger engines at the line. He doesn't look or act it, but there's no question based on his wins and green jerseys.

ultraman6970
10-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Sagan can climb when he wants to, the thing is that he is not that dumb to go and burn himself w/o logical reason when at the end he wont be able to capitalize.... IMO he climbs more than many think he does but since he devoloped into a 1 day racer/ sprinter right now he doesnt have too much where to go more than GC... his height is ok IMO the issue to me is that every year he looks bigger.

As for climber sprinters, theres some pure spinters that can climb aswell in the pro peloton.

zmalwo
10-26-2019, 12:40 PM
He makes his money as a sprinter I don't see that he would transition to an all-rounder... at this pace, he probably can win another 5 point classifications until he retires. Even another world champion or two.

cash05458
10-26-2019, 12:56 PM
doubt it could ever happen...might lose a bit to climb better, but not a time trial guy either...he shouldn't bother I would think...he is doing pretty well for himself so why mess with it...

ultraman6970
10-26-2019, 01:40 PM
Do not get mistaken, when he wants to he can TT aswell.

saab2000
10-26-2019, 02:11 PM
He could probably lose a few kgs, train differently and move into a top 15-20 Gc rider. Why? Unless there were a real chance to win it isn’t worth it.

Sean Kelly was a ‘similar’ rider (though clearly more accomplished) who occasionally tried to be a GC rider. But that was a different era.

I’d like to see Sagan win some more of the monuments, and I’m sure he’d like to see that as well. Not sure he’ll ever be a GC rider, nor do I see the point of trying. Those guys are mostly 20+ kgs lighter and their focusing and training is very different.

Sagan is already a very accomplished rider, but IMHO, he’d be smarter to focus on his strengths and compound those wins.

FlashUNC
10-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Olympics, lol. Based on the early feedback on the course, it's a climbers course all the way.

I guess he could always DNF the mountain bike race again.

More importantly he's skipping AToC. Weird to do given how much Specialized puts into that race.

jadedaid
10-26-2019, 03:46 PM
‘Sagan said. “I have to plan well but I just want to try something new.”’

Sagan’s an interesting character and I wouldn’t be surprised if he just wanted a change from his usual schedule. Let’s not forget he’s fluent in Italian so there might be something in it for him to ride a grand tour in Italy. Surely he’ll enjoy that more than France?

I’d love it if he focused his whole season on the Giro and TDF was just on the schedule to hide his true intentions. :)

mhespenheide
10-26-2019, 03:55 PM
Sean Kelly was a ‘similar’ rider (though clearly more accomplished) who occasionally tried to be a GC rider. But that was a different era.

:eek:

I'm sorry; with one GT win and seven other top-10 GT placings, a seven-year win streak in Paris-Nice, and wins in the more climb-heavy Tour of the Basque Country, Tour du Suisse, and Volta a Catalunya, Sean Kelly deserves more recognition than "occasionally tried to be a GC rider".

saab2000
10-26-2019, 04:25 PM
:eek:

I'm sorry; with one GT win and seven other top-10 GT placings, a seven-year win streak in Paris-Nice, and wins in the more climb-heavy Tour of the Basque Country, Tour du Suisse, and Volta a Catalunya, Sean Kelly deserves more recognition than "occasionally tried to be a GC rider".

It was a different era, but your point is taken. Mostly I’m thinking of the big three Grand Tours, where Sean Kelly did win, and as I mentioned, he was a far more accomplished and complete (which I didn’t say) rider. But it was a different time. That said, I think they are similarly talented riders, but have a different resumé at this point.

I knew someone would shred my comparison and I get it.

FlashUNC
10-26-2019, 04:34 PM
That whippy Vitus he rode is probably worth at least 3-4 more grand tours if he rode a bike that actually transferred his massive Watts to pavement.

Elefantino
10-26-2019, 04:44 PM
King Kelly is arguably the second or third greatest rider of all time.

Sagan probably doesn't crack the top 25.

FlashUNC
10-26-2019, 04:48 PM
King Kelly is arguably the second or third greatest rider of all time.

Sagan probably doesn't crack the top 25.

Preach!

Elefantino
10-26-2019, 04:53 PM
OK, so I looked up ProCyclingStats and he's listed 21st all time.

The point is, there are light years between Sagan (who I like, BTW), and Kelly.

Sagan's English is easier to understand, though.

saab2000
10-26-2019, 05:17 PM
I agree that Sagan is no Kelly. My only point is that there appear to be parallels in their talents. Sagan is Sagan and that’s all. He is his own thing, but interesting to many cycling fans.

I like him. I won’t be surprised if he’s done with cycling in a couple years.

jlwdm
10-26-2019, 06:11 PM
Olympics, lol. Based on the early feedback on the course, it's a climbers course all the way.

I guess he could always DNF the mountain bike race again.

More importantly he's skipping AToC. Weird to do given how much Specialized puts into that race.

Sagan had not been riding mountain bikes much and was in the group of 8 or 9 leaders at the end of the first lap after starting near the back. He had a flat and you can argue it was because of the lines he ran (no one knows), but he showed how good a mountain biker he was. In the worlds if you are not winning you DNF just like half the field in the Worlds road race.

He is never going to compete in a grand tour though.

Jeff

Drmojo
10-26-2019, 10:12 PM
Ineos nee Sky can make anyone a GC contender
most money
best doctors and lawyers
Wiggo-track to GC
Froome—no talent to geeky freak with “asthma”
Thomas—stout Welshman
need I say more?