PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still have patch kits that work?

Saxon
10-25-2019, 11:50 PM
After patching tubes for 30 years, I've lost my touch! I've tried three different brands of patch kits (Park, Rema and an old Performance) and none of them seem to work anymore. The patches leak air and don't even want to stay on the tube at all. I'm using Conti tubes. Could the tubes be the problem?

bob heinatz
10-25-2019, 11:55 PM
I have also had problems with the patches lately. I thought maybe because I was getting old!

Saxon
10-25-2019, 11:57 PM
Something's changed either in the tube material, the glue or the patches.

Louis
10-26-2019, 12:06 AM
I don't bother with the glue-ons.

I just carry a spare tube and use that. In the highly unlikely situation of getting a second flat on the same ride (hasn't happened yet) the plan is to use an insta-patch, and replace the tube with a good one when I get home. (lately they don't seem to last more than a few rides, so I replace the tube as soon as I can)

gasman
10-26-2019, 12:24 AM
I continue to have good luck with Rema. On the road I’ll pull out a new tube. Once I’m home is when I start the patch repair.
I’m meticulous about scuffing the tube, wiping it clean, putting the contact cement on a letting it dry 5 minutes then placing the patch. I got in the habit years ago of using a wood clamp on the patch and the pumping up the tire just a bit.
I let it dry for several hours at a minimum. Still, I’ll only put on two or three patches per tube. After that, new tube.
I’ve found the self-adhering patches haven’t worked well for me.

HTupolev
10-26-2019, 01:36 AM
After patching tubes for 30 years, I've lost my touch! I've tried three different brands of patch kits (Park, Rema and an old Performance) and none of them seem to work anymore. The patches leak air and don't even want to stay on the tube at all. I'm using Conti tubes. Could the tubes be the problem?
I've had issues too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the rubber compounds; latex tubes seem to take glue-on patches much more easily. Vulcanizing fluid works by breaking down the molecular bonds in the rubber so that they can form new bonds with the patch material, and maybe that just doesn't work as well on some more resilient rubbers.

cinema
10-26-2019, 02:24 AM
you referring to the vulcanized glue ones? switch to sticky tape patches. the park tools tape patch (comes in a lil square plastic container) is excellent I have run multiple patches in one tube for years and have never had one fail. press real hard for 30 sec making sure it's fully adhered. I've also used other tape in a pinch... but the park is super sticky and super low profile. I've probably used close to 50 of them on tubes and on the inside of actual tires with decent sized cuts.

no more looking like a foo on the side of the road pinching tube+patch+glue together for 5 min and blowing on it hoping its cured.

Davist
10-26-2019, 04:30 AM
Interesting, I've had no luck with the park stick ons, they last until I get home and that's about it, then I replace the tube. I bought a different version of the vulcanized one "Rustines" from Velo Orange on a whim (I liked the cap that matched it) and it works well. But in all honesty, I get flats very rarely anymore, could it be that we're "outliving" the shelf life?! good problem..

kohagen
10-26-2019, 05:12 AM
The Park stick-on patches I’ve used have been good for roadside repairs, but they don’t seem to last as long as the glue-on patches. The air pressure in the tube has often caused them to come unstuck enough to slowly leak. I carry an extra tube and patch the flat tube with a vulcanizing patch when I get home. Easier and more lasting that way. I also carry a patch kit in the unlikely event I get two or more flats on a ride, which is possible with the amount of glass shards on the roads of Long Island.

hartmmike
10-26-2019, 06:14 AM
I was having the same problem and found the solution somewhere that i can't remember.
1 Spread the glue in a larger area than you need.
2 Let it dry.
3 Leave the clear tape on it. It will lift the patch if you try to take it off.
And finally, probably the hardest part. Do NOT test it just reinstall. Testing causes the patch to lift.

slambers3
10-26-2019, 06:36 AM
Pressure from the tire *should* force the patch to adhere to the tube. I’ve had excellent luck with the park stick-on patches, been using them for years. As with any patch, proper surface prep is key for the patch to adhere, along with being very careful to ensure the patch is fully bonded around all of the edges. I use them on tubes, and also to cover punctures in the casing of tubeless tires (from the inside) when they won’t seal on their own. First line of defense for a flat on the road is always a spare tube, but keep the patches for backup.
A few weeks ago I was riding with a buddy who suffered a puncture. Turns out he was on a disc brake bike (thru axle) and didn’t have any tools to remove his wheel. I patched his puncture on the bike and to my knowledge it’s still holding.

YMMV

boywander
10-26-2019, 06:38 AM
OP- If you’re going to patch I find that the best brand of patches is Rema TipTop. They work great but make sure the vulcanizing glue is on long enough before applying the patch.

If you have a lighter, momentarily light it on the vulcanizing glue on the tube. Blow it out quick and apply the patch. It works even better.

Other thought.
We all know it’s easier to buy new ones and replace. But I try to limit the amount of waste going in landfills. It’s one of the reasons I keep collecting tubes and patch them all when it’s a sizable collection to make a worthwhile chore. Also teaching my children how to be frugal self relying and green one tube at a time.

yarbsr02
10-26-2019, 07:09 AM
Agree with the comment above that the stick on patches are good enough to get home, but not much more, so I change to a new tube. The few dollars for a new tube a is worth the peace of mind as a leave the house in my next ride.

oldpotatoe
10-26-2019, 07:41 AM
I continue to have good luck with Rema. On the road I’ll pull out a new tube. Once I’m home is when I start the patch repair.
I’m meticulous about scuffing the tube, wiping it clean, putting the contact cement on a letting it dry 5 minutes then placing the patch. I got in the habit years ago of using a wood clamp on the patch and the pumping up the tire just a bit.
I let it dry for several hours at a minimum. Still, I’ll only put on two or three patches per tube. After that, new tube.
I’ve found the self-adhering patches haven’t worked well for me.

Methinks it might be the Conti tube..I needed to patch tube on grand daughter's Cleary 24inch..scuffed, used some really old glue and a rema patch and it worked just fine.

charliedid
10-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Those Conti tubes are a bit waxy. Have not needed to try patching one lately though.

Spaghetti Legs
10-26-2019, 08:45 AM
Another vote for Rema patches. I have a bulk box and can of Slime rubber cement. I’ll patch the tube and then gently clamp it in my bench vise for an hour or 12 and the tube is good to go.

I have some Slime self adhesive patches I recently used on a “flat-stravaganza” ride when I blew through both spare tubes. They held up fine though I wouldn’t trust them for a permanent patch.

DeBike
10-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Rema, Park Tool vulcanizing patches. Slime and Park tool glueless for quicker, temporary fixes. I use new tubes for back up in my back and do the patching at home. I also carry patch kit, usually glueless, with me for back up to the back up tube.

I find the best solution for flats is having quality tires that are in, at least, good shape. I do sometimes use older tires that still have some wear left for shorter, closer to home rides.

Also, for me, now having numerous bikes and doing most of the maintenance on them, I have changed tires so often that it is now no big deal to switch out tires for different needs.

cinema
10-26-2019, 11:11 AM
I'm really surprised no one else had good experience with stick on patches. I have a bunch in all my tubes and tires right now and some have been there for years. I wonder if it's the climate here or my weight. just need to make sure its fully adhered, using pressure all across it for about 30 secs at the beginning and after it's been slightly inflated.

I love the advice someone gave not to lift the tape off the rubber patch or 'test' it; makes total sense!

jc031699
10-26-2019, 11:26 AM
I was having the same problem and found the solution somewhere that i can't remember.

1 Spread the glue in a larger area than you need.

2 Let it dry.

3 Leave the clear tape on it. It will lift the patch if you try to take it off.

And finally, probably the hardest part. Do NOT test it just reinstall. Testing causes the patch to lift.

Totally agree

I had the same problem, and found success finally by never skimping on the use of glue (even though you see lots of warnings to not use too much, I found that hard to do). It needs to be applied fully and over a much larger area than you think you will need. It needs to be totally dry, and then the bond is essentially instant when the patch is applied.

If you have to wait to get a complete bond, that implies that the glue has not completely off-gassed (dried) before the patch went on. You’ll see this as the outer edge being stuck down but the center of the patch having a poor bond with air intrusion around the hole in the tube. This is because the glue was only able to continue to dry on the edges of the patch.

I leave the little tubes of glue unopened for the patch kit on my bike. They dry out easily when capped. For home use, I got a big screw top tin of vulcanizing fluid from the auto parts store.

Another reason to leave the plastic is it keeps the extra glue around the patch from adhering the tube to the inside of the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seramount
10-26-2019, 11:29 AM
been using the small (no. F0 / 16mm) Rema patches for years.

failure rate is very low and usually due to improper application (aka pilot error).

be sure to sand the tube well outside the area where the patch will go and apply the glue in the same manner.

and as already noted above, DON'T try and remove the clear plastic backing.

have a couple of the Park stick-ons in my roadside kit, but they're pretty old and I'd be leery of using them except in an emergency. always carry two spare tubes so the likelihood of having to rely on them is pretty slim.

marciero
10-26-2019, 12:22 PM
I almost always use glue-on patches as the first option for field repair on tubed setup bikes. Is my practice to find the hole anyway-so can inspect the tire more closely. I only use a virgin tube if the hole is in a place that would compromise the adhesion of a patch. Another thing I do is to patch the tube with it inflated so that the patched area is not stressed when it is installed. Not sure if that is really necessary but it makes sense to do so.

Dead Man
10-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Another thing I do is to patch the tube with it inflated so that the patched area is not stressed when it is installed. Not sure if that is really necessary but it makes sense to do so.

i also think this is important, especially w the Park patches

ive been using the Park sticker patches for several years without problem. i have some tubes in rotation i patched w 'em years ago, still holding

i think some of you guys just suck at stuff.

Plum Hill
10-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Great luck with Rema.
After a friend gave me the tip, I started using a Dremel with a sanding drum to scuff the tube. After gluing and adding the patch, I sandwich the tube between two pieces of 1/4” MDF and clamp with a spring clamp.
I’ve had good luck with Park sticky patches in the past, but only use then as a last resort now. More than likely, they’ve aged in my seat pack.

Peter P.
10-26-2019, 01:30 PM
To add to all the great, valid suggestions:

In addition to scuffing the tube with the included sandpaper, try wiping the tube with rubbing alcohol.

Do not spread the glue with the tip of the tube. Use your finger. Why? Because I had a problem with patch failures until I looked at the pictogram instructions in the patch kit, which show a finger spreading the glue. Sounds stupid, but doing so results in a smoother, even layer of glue.

Apply 2 layers of glue before applying the patch.

bshell
10-26-2019, 01:46 PM
On the Rema/Tip Top patches the clear plastic sheet covering the patch is split in the middle so that the user can peel each of the halves off from the
center ->outwards. Just give it a flex and it will open up. Pulling across from the edge is totally doable as long as one exercises a bit of care/fingernail pressure.

I've found low grade cut damage to tubes from leaving that plastic on between tube and tire. Ride on it a while and you might see a perfect outline of the square with little chafing slices from the edges and wrinkles. Not sure if/when that might become an issue though.

An even glue layer is a matter of execution over the tools used. I wouldn't want vulcanizing fluid on my finger for the rest of the ride.

ps. Always pack your trash.

saab2000
10-26-2019, 02:02 PM
I think many people get too impatient and they want to reinstall the tube right away. The cement must cure completely and this takes a while.

I got a bulk box of Rema patches a while back and they’re the smallest size, little bigger than a penny. I’ve had some even smaller ones, like a dime, and they’re even better. Most holes are just a pinprick size so the big patches are a waste.

After I get the patch on (with the backing cellophane) I used some light pressure with a rag or paper towel to make sure it is fully attached. This also squeezes out excess cement. When it appears to be adhering completely I hang it in a way that the patch is under no tension.

Then I let it sit, sometimes for days.

I’ve got tubes in service with several patches. The process is very satisfying when successful, which is most, but not all, of the time.

Peter P.
10-26-2019, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't want vulcanizing fluid on my finger for the rest of the ride.

Patch kits should be a last resort for on the road repairs and using them is better left for at home; carry at least one spare tube, and use the tube first because a tube change is much quicker.

marciero
10-26-2019, 05:10 PM
An even glue layer is a matter of execution over the tools used. I wouldn't want vulcanizing fluid on my finger for the rest of the ride.

ps. Always pack your trash.

That's what the nitrile gloves are for!

rowebr
10-26-2019, 08:26 PM
been using the small (no. F0 / 16mm) Rema patches for years.

failure rate is very low and usually due to improper application (aka pilot error).

be sure to sand the tube well outside the area where the patch will go and apply the glue in the same manner.

and as already noted above, DON'T try and remove the clear plastic backing.

+1 to all this. I've noticed some tubes have a slick outer coating that will foul up the patching process unless you sand it off, so really sand the tube well.