PDA

View Full Version : My First Experience on TruTrainer Rollers...

terrytnt
12-26-2006, 09:07 PM
was unbelievable!!! My family (with strong influence from me) agreed to buy for me my first ever rollers this year for Christmas. The box (a big one) was noticeably evident under the tree and waiting to be opened yesterday.

Without a glitch, it came out of the box fully assembled and ready to ride which I finally got around to today. Coming from Indiana (I'm in PA) it was flawless.

In my basement against one of the walls I positioned the TT Roller (as per instructions) with a lot of open space in the event I might fall... which I did not. For those who remember my previous post, I traveled to Richmond a few weeks back to visit my son and ride rollers for the first time. Those were Kreitlers (4.5 in) and within a day I had learned how to ride, stand, ride without hands and even closed my eyes (with a trainer near by). I was totally psyched.

Today, I rode my new TT Rollers for 50 minutes, no fancy tricks, just getting accustom to these rollers. And what beautiful rollers they are, YES, they're expensive, but the quality of frame, 4.5 precision lathed rollers and flywheel make these rollers beautiful to look at and incredible to ride. Smooth beyond belief, about the closest thing to 'road feel' I've ever felt from indoor trainers and a great workout... 18 miles, average of 19mph and 90+ average cadence.

I can't say enough great things about the TT Rollers and the folks that designed them. If you thinking of rollers, read all the literature, speak to those of us who've had experience and email or talk to the folks at CycleDyne Inc. http://www.trutrainer.com/ who developed these most beautiful rollers.

As much as a love riding outside, now, not only can I train effectively in the winter but also intermittently during the summer.

After 15 years of wind trainers, I'm truly in heaven!!!

A special thanks to all of you who provided such great insight and feedback over that last several months.

Xyzzy
12-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Was the huge box wrapped in Christmas wrap?

I bet by the end of the week you'll be clipping in/out without the wall and standing up. Hell, probably by the third session.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right!" <- I visualize that as TruTrainer's motto.

Peter P.
12-26-2006, 11:34 PM
What a coincidence! I was going to post about the TruTrainer I took delivery of last week! I get to join the club!

I remember the original post, and was pretty much sold after reading 11.4’s, BdaGhisallo's and Xyzzy’s reviews. Thanks to them for also pointing out the shipping discount available.

I wanted to get the e-motion rollers but needed the folding option-I have to travel down four flights of stairs and 50 yards or so to my complex’s Exercise Facility to use them. The TruTrainer folding option was the decision maker. To tell the truth, because of their weight (I weighed them at 35lbs. without the platform), they are on the verge of not being considered “portable”; storable -yes; just not portable. I’m considering mounting wheels to the end of the frame but if I do that, they won’t stand up on end as they’re designed to do. Up until I received my TruTrainer I had been using a pair of Kreitler’s and at 24lbs. they were MUCH easier to transport. The Kreitler's also occupy a smaller volume when folded, enhancing their portability.

First, the guys at TruTrainer are a class act; they actually signed the inside of the box! Way to go, Ross and Jeff!

And it was a goof; the rollers are shipped “opened” (I bought the folding option) and except for adjusting the wheelbase, they’re ready to ride right out of the box. Simple foam and styro blocks kept everything in place; not a lot of environmental waste, and easy to clean up-great.

The TruTrainer’s open like a book that’s “face down”. The folded unit stands upright and you swing the folded front roller up until the frame is straight up and the belt is in place. Then you lay the extended frame on the floor. And contrary to what 11.4 said, I don’t think the spring loaded carrying handle will pop out; certainly its less likely to do so if you insert it in the narrower of the two sets of holes. And the handle DOES provide a convenient place to secure the untensioned belt. However, I find it easier to carry the TruTrainer by the side rails as I’m short and I have to climb/descend stairs.

I wish there was a method of locking the folded rollers CLOSED during transport. I have to use a piece of rope and some clove hitches/half hitches to keep them shut, but I wouldn’t have a problem if I carried them using the handle.

Now let’s get to THE RIDE. These things provide a ride that’s a step above anything else. Yes; they’re as smooth and quiet as Kreitler’s, and that's a compliment to Kreitler's standard. The bizarre thing is, you don’t need a wall or stool by your side to start off- just put the bike in a low gear and push down like you were on the road. The flywheel keeps things spinning plenty long enough that you can merely lift your posted leg and clip in like you were on the road!

The TruTrainer feature of levelling both wheels so the bike sits level-it’s subtle but I DO think it contributes to your crotch going numb less often/severely.

Lastly, the flywheel/resistance level. I believe they’re designed with a 160lb.cyclist in mind. At 130lbs., I CAN'T hit the speeds I do on the road because the resistance level is calibrated for a higher bodyweight but I don’t care as everything is relative. Yes Virginia; the CERTAINLY feel like riding on the road, from resistance to acceleration, to coasting. The charts show they offer a similar level of resistance to Kreitler Dyno Lyte’s; I’d say that’s plenty for most cyclists and preferable to a standard 4.5” drum without resistance. I purchased the option to disengage the flywheel so I guess that's like owning TWO different sets of rollers, which is not a bad idea when I want to work on leg speed.

And standing up is MUCH EASIER than on Kreitlers. Like I think 11.4 said; instead of feeling like your arms are holding you up, you just dance on the pedals like you’re on the road. My pedal stroke stinks as I can feel the bike squirt forward with each downward thrust but that’s okay; the wider spacing between the rear rollers keeps me in the pocket even if I get sloppy. It’s great to be able to get up off the seat without having to be so tentative about it. Yeah; it’s doable on Kreitlers but you have to be gentle. On a TruTrainer you get out of the saddle without missing a beat.

So really, except for the inconvenient weight, every other complaint I have about the TruTrainer is so minor I can overlook or overcome them without a problem, and I’m EXTREMELY satisfied with the construction, resistance, and performance of the TruTrainer.

Thanks to all on the forum; you were a great source of honest, detailed opinions and you saved me $60 in shipping, too!

terrytnt
12-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Peter did a much better job than I to explain specific details... thanks Peter. These Roller are truly magnificent. Can't wait to ride later today.

I elected NOT to opt for the freewheel release (which was strongly discouraged by Roy). Yesterday on my first ride, I had little difficulty in my 53x18 with maintaining 90+rpm. Roy suggested that unless you have a fixed gear bike, you won't really gain much benefit from the freewheel release option. I think he's right. Besides Roy said, you can always simply release the freewheel belt. But imagine that, the designer and owner of the TruTrainer company DISCOURAGING me from spending more money. THAT'S THE KIND OF CLASS ACT THESE GUYS ARE!!!

Ditto again to all of you for providing unbias, informative information that helped me make a good personal choice.

This is an invaluable forum!!!

Oh... and yes Mike, the box was partially wrapped for Christmas (at least the part you could view)

mcteague
12-28-2006, 10:03 AM
I recently bought the Kreitler Poly-Lytes after doing lots of research. I only paid about $240 for them as opposed to nearly a grand for the TruTrainers. I'm sure the TTs are better but 4 times better? Learning to ride seemed to follow the path posted by others here. 1st try "This is IMPOSSIBLE". 2nd "Well, maybe it's possible but I don't know if I'll ever get it". 3rd "Hmm, this isn't that hard, what was wrong with me last week?". I have yet to fall off but nearly did when I tried to remove some sweat from my brow by flicking my head to the side. Doh!

Tim McTeague

djg
12-28-2006, 11:15 AM
I recently bought the Kreitler Poly-Lytes after doing lots of research. I only paid about $240 for them as opposed to nearly a grand for the TruTrainers. I'm sure the TTs are better but 4 times better? Learning to ride seemed to follow the path posted by others here. 1st try "This is IMPOSSIBLE". 2nd "Well, maybe it's possible but I don't know if I'll ever get it". 3rd "Hmm, this isn't that hard, what was wrong with me last week?". I have yet to fall off but nearly did when I tried to remove some sweat from my brow by flicking my head to the side. Doh!

Tim McTeague

Tim, I'm with ya, but like all sorts of things, this seems to me to be worth it for those who think it's worth it. I've been happy with my kreitler poly-lytes. I ride them comfortably (I'll wager that, as the weeks go by, you'll just lose that sense that you're doing something difficult), I find them to be very smooth, to offer a good range of work load (even if there is no serious big gear drill available), and to be pretty darn easy to move around when needed. I've just no interest in setting them aside so that I can spend the bunch more money required for the tt rollers (I'm not shelling out 700 bucks so that it's easier to stand while I ride rollers), but really, that's just me. That's my wallet, my preferences, and the fact that I can ride outside most of the year (really, nearly all of it). Lots of folks have 10s of thousands of dollars in bikes and kit (I don't rate by the higher end standards of this board, but I'm no slouch in the cycling expenditure arena either), and if they're doing major indoor time, like these new rollers better, and have the scratch at hand, then I say more power to them.

Peter P.
12-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Don't get me wrong boys; I hope I'm not coming on as being some deep pocketed snot for buying a pair of TruTrainers.

In fact, I'd consider you, Tim and djg, as being THE SMART SHOPPERS for buying the Kreitler 'Lytes. Their portability is a BIG advantage over my portly TT and I'm reminded of it everytime I lug them over to the workout room, and I'm sure the resistance level is all I'd need (the comparative info shows they both offer the same level of resistance).

Yes, I shake my head when I realize I spent four times what you did and Kreitler should be proud that they can offer a product of such quality at a bargain price.

I've only had my TT for a couple weeks and sometimes I think I made the wrong decision, if only because of the weight/price. But an unexpected side benefit is my left bicep is getting pretty big!

And Tim, by the way, sweating while riding the rollers is a problem for me, too, so I had to solve that as well. First, I drape a hand towel around my neck, either 25" or 29" long. I also went out and bought some of those "old style" sweatbands from a sporting goods store. Here's the funny part: they sold two models-a cheapo terrycloth type at $1.99 and a high tech material UnderArmour brand at $6.99. I did the Consumer Reports thing and bought them both for a comparison. I can't tell the difference, although maybe one will last longer than the other. I only rinse them off versus throwing them in the wash. They're definitely a worthwhile investment, though.

R2D2
12-29-2006, 07:06 AM
How do these differ from Kreitlers with the flywheel option?
Nevermind. I read the other thread and saw the comments on wobble.

mcteague
12-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Peter,

I didn't mean, in any way, to chastise you for spending what you did. If I spent a lot of time on rollers, and didn't have to move them, I might have looked more seriously at the TTs. Money is for spending and I have no problem buying expensive things if the perceived value is there. I could get a great workout on a lowly Giant or Trek instead of my Seven Axiom but somehow I just can't do it.

Tim