PDA

View Full Version : Best compressionless housing

bicycletricycle
10-25-2019, 11:04 AM
What kind of conpressionless housing do you guys like? For disk brakes. My full length rear set up is feeling really spongy.

kingpin75s
10-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Jagwire.

I prefer to buy in the 25' rolls.

bicycletricycle
10-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Which kind? They make a few different levels of housing.

Jagwire.

I prefer to buy in the 25' rolls.

zzy
10-25-2019, 11:18 AM
I was impressed with the TRP kit, and always like Yokozuna, which is available in rolls.

dem
10-25-2019, 12:02 PM
My favorite has been alligator i-link. Nokon and Jagwire are creaky, Bungarus is fragile and one-time use (the little plastic couplers break)

gpendergast
10-25-2019, 12:15 PM
super great lever feel and lasts forever

floppyb
10-25-2019, 12:43 PM
Can someone explain how compression housing works? I get that it changes how the brakes feel, but why?

Jaybee
10-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Can someone explain how compression housing works? I get that it changes how the brakes feel, but why?

Normal spiral wound brake housing compresses when you pull the lever, leading to a bit of slop before the cable is pulled. With mech disc brakes, it can feel really spongy. Compressionless housing has linear support cables (like shift housing) along the length of the run, so when you pull the lever, the brake cable pulls and the housing doesn’t compress. Feels much better at the lever. .

Dino Suegiù
10-25-2019, 04:53 PM
^
Good explanation Jaybee.

Yokozuna Reaction and/or Jagwire Pro.
Normally I like Yokozuna unless one needs the Jagwire shop length and/or colors, but both are very good products.

I have never tried TRP compression-less housing, but I have liked everything TRP that I have tried.

I found Nokon, IRD Metawire, Alligator, etc to be much more a pita to install than a noticeable performance boost in action.

bicycletricycle
10-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Is the Yokozuna premium different than Yokozuna reaction?

^
Good explanation Jaybee.

Yokozuna Premium and/or Jagwire Pro.
Normally I like Yokozuna unless one needs the Jagwire shop length and/or colors, but both are very good products.

I have never tried TRP compression-less housing, but like everything TRP that I have tried.

I found Nokon, IRD Metawire, Alligator, etc to be much more a pita to install than a noticeable performance boost in action.

Dino Suegiù
10-25-2019, 07:49 PM
Is the Yokozuna premium different than Yokozuna reaction?

My apologies. Yokozuna "Reaction".
I confused the two names, and they do appear to be slightly different. Yokozuna "Reaction" (not the "Premium") is listed as Yokozuna's compression-less housing, although both housings are claimed to be fully lubricated, end-to-end.

The Yokozuna "Reaction" housing I have used has been very good, very durable, and still feels very crisp after a lot of use. The "Smoke" is a good color on titanium frames.

Gummee
10-25-2019, 08:27 PM
I've used both the Jagwire and the Yokozuna

I like the Yokozuna a bit better.

Both work

M

dddd
10-25-2019, 09:29 PM
A lot of the spongy feel traces back to the way that the brake pads contact the rim, with or without any flexing of the brake arms and/or of the pad material under actual braking forces, applied by the rim and by the pivots, through the pads.

This explains why well-worn pads often have so much more of a solid feel as the brakes are applied, even after accounting for a possibly thinner layer of rubber being compressed.

I like today's swivel washers and how the brake can be applied as the brakes are actually applied, forcing pad surfaces into alignment with the rim's brake tracks.

And after setting up the pads, a final sort of accelerated break-in using belt-sander paper under the actual loading of the brakes and rotating rim (under the rim and pivot's forces): (see below).

Where such break-in doesn't eliminate all squeeking or chattering, I will typically use a different pad material in lieu of applying toe-in, since toe-in is temporary and results in accelerated and uneven pad wear. I limit toe-in to the pacing a credit card under the rear third of the pad against the rim as I tighten the bolt using spherical swivel washers with the brake applied.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1743/42744501001_e42887054a_c.jpg

Veloo
10-25-2019, 09:49 PM
I was using regular Shimano housing on BB7 disc brakes. Rear was VERY spongy.
My LBS had some bulk Yokozuna Reaction so I bought a few feet. After installing, the rear felt like the front and the newly installed front felt SOLID. Well worth the expense.

kingpin75s
10-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Which kind? They make a few different levels of housing.

Jagwire Pro Brake and Derailleur Housing in the 25' rolls.

ChainNoise
10-26-2019, 05:28 AM
A lot of the spongy feel traces back to the way that the brake pads contact the rim, with or without any flexing of the brake arms and/or of the pad material under actual braking forces, applied by the rim and by the pivots, through the pads.

This explains why well-worn pads often have so much more of a solid feel as the brakes are applied, even after accounting for a possibly thinner layer of rubber being compressed.

I like today's swivel washers and how the brake can be applied as the brakes are actually applied, forcing pad surfaces into alignment with the rim's brake tracks.

And after setting up the pads, a final sort of accelerated break-in using belt-sander paper under the actual loading of the brakes and rotating rim (under the rim and pivot's forces): (see below).

Where such break-in doesn't eliminate all squeeking or chattering, I will typically use a different pad material in lieu of applying toe-in, since toe-in is temporary and results in accelerated and uneven pad wear. I limit toe-in to the pacing a credit card under the rear third of the pad against the rim as I tighten the bolt using spherical swivel washers with the brake applied.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1743/42744501001_e42887054a_c.jpg

Great explanation but he is using disc brakes

floppyb
10-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Normal spiral wound brake housing compresses when you pull the lever, leading to a bit of slop before the cable is pulled. With mech disc brakes, it can feel really spongy. Compressionless housing has linear support cables (like shift housing) along the length of the run, so when you pull the lever, the brake cable pulls and the housing doesn’t compress. Feels much better at the lever. .

Ah. Makes more sense now.

tctyres
10-26-2019, 03:45 PM
I've bought the TRP stuff, which is fine.

Can someone link me to the other brands/sellers? Thx.

bicycletricycle
11-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Got some yokozuna reaction, they feel awesome.