PDA

View Full Version : Moots stack and reach

soulspinner
10-25-2019, 06:36 AM
On the Moots website the stack and reach of the Vamoots is measured with the CK I8/I7 external lower cup and inset top headset. So total stack of the headset is 22 mm with top about 8mm and bottom rounded to 14mm. How does this compare with total stack without it like most manufacturers publish?

jadedaid
10-25-2019, 06:53 AM
On the Moots website the stack and reach of the Vamoots is measured with the CK I8/I7 external lower cup and inset top headset. So total stack of the headset is 22 mm with top about 8mm and bottom rounded to 14mm. How does this compare with total stack without it like most manufacturers publish?

I’d confirm this with Moots if I were you - their website has been rebuilt now I think but when I was ordering mine I was told by my LBS that there was a discrepancy in that not all the geometry charts accounted for the addition of the headset.

Also, because of the headtube angle it’s not a clean vertical 22mm addition to the stack but a little less. Reach will be impacted slightly for the same reasons.

soulspinner
10-25-2019, 06:56 AM
I’d confirm this with Moots if I were you - their website has been rebuilt now I think but when I was ordering mine I was told by my LBS that there was a discrepancy in that not all the geometry charts accounted for the addition of the headset.

Also, because of the headtube angle it’s not a clean vertical 22mm addition to the stack but a little less. Reach will be impacted slightly for the same reasons.

Tried to call for an answer but remain confused. The guy I spoke with said it only adds about 8mil? he could not explain why...……...

oldpotatoe
10-25-2019, 07:26 AM
Tried to call for an answer but remain confused. The guy I spoke with said it only adds about 8mil? he could not explain why...……...

Reach out here to Butch, formerly of Moots..If he doesn't have an answer, he'll know who to contact that does..

sparky33
10-25-2019, 07:28 AM

Correct. Moots measures (or measured?) stack and reach at the top of the upper headset cup, instead of the industry standard of measuring at the top of the headtube.

The Chris King Inset7/8 headset stack height is 8mm for the upper and 14mm for the lower. The 14mm lower is always a part of the equation for anyone's (Moots and the rest of the world) stack/reach measure point, otherwise the frame would be floating in space about the fork crown.

Moots also includes the 8mm upper, whereas the rest of the world does not. On a 72ish head angle, the Moots figure with that additional upper cup will increase stack by 7.6 mm and decrease reach by 2.5mm relative to the normal method of measurement.

Butch
10-25-2019, 11:03 AM
Steve is correct. All the frames are drawn in AutoCad and when the stack and reach was calculated we included the CK headset parts for this. At the time we felt this would give a more accurate "real life" measurement

Correct. Moots measures (or measured?) stack and reach at the top of the upper headset cup, instead of the industry standard of measuring at the top of the headtube.

The Chris King Inset7/8 headset stack height is 8mm for the upper and 14mm for the lower. The 14mm lower is always a part of the equation for anyone's (Moots and the rest of the world) stack/reach measure point, otherwise the frame would be floating in space about the fork crown.

Moots also includes the 8mm upper, whereas the rest of the world does not. On a 72ish head angle, the Moots figure with that additional upper cup will increase stack by 7.6 mm and decrease reach by 2.5mm relative to the normal method of measurement.

soulspinner
10-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Thank you! :hello::hello::hello::hello: