PDA

View Full Version : Using a "stick" massage tool

Louis
10-24-2019, 10:25 PM
Last night, on a whim, I bought a generic knock-off stick massager, and I'm trying to decide how best to use it. I did a bit of research online and at one manufacturer's site they said to use it "before, during, and after" exercise. Ha! Like that's going to happen.

Anyone willing to share suggestions for how they've been using that sort of thing? How often? Before or after exercise? etc.

Two additional pieces of relevant information:

1) A while back I was traveling for two weeks, during which time I did no exercise at all. When I got back I picked up my routine, which consists of cardio + strength & core stuff. As you might expect my cardio ability was noticeably down. Strength less so. I did my usual set of goblet squats and the next day my quads were killing me - every step up or down stairs was a challenge. I was really surprised. A few days later it was gone, and I'm now back at it with no issues. While my quads were bothering me I wondered if having a stick massage tool would have helped, but the pain was gone before I got around to buying one. That's probably what caused me to spend the $9 to get it.

2) These days I do a lot more rowing (indoor erg) than cycling, but given how much easier it is to use the stick on legs compared to arms and shoulders, I'll probably concentrate on the lower body stuff, not upper; but if you have any good ideas for arms and shoulders, I'll certainly give them a shot too.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

A random image off the web:

https://villagerunner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/The-Stick-Instruction-Drawings.jpg

dustyrider
10-24-2019, 10:50 PM
I use The Stick a lot. This one: link (https://shop.thestick.com/marathon-stick/). I’m tall and skinny so no need for their stiffer models for me. My primary goal is to relieve post activity muscle soreness. I can reach most parts of my body needing massage along with a lacrosse ball. Usually I roll the ball under my feet while eating so I can push down harder using the table. When I consume media, I like to use the stick, mostly on my legs and sometimes on my lower back. Eventually I’ll get a foam roller and try to integrate it into the routine, but it’s hard to find the time to build new habits. There are other devices that grab your limbs using spring actuated arms and roll out deep muscle tissue. I think there was a thread here about it. I can’t recall the name but know folks that really like them.

FlashUNC
10-24-2019, 11:26 PM
The stick is clutch for my IT bands and legs more generally.

Hurts but is a great way to work out the kinks.

JSL
10-25-2019, 01:06 AM
Use mine every morning before I run. It loosens up my legs and seems to help me prevent muscle strains, which happen more often as I've gotten older.

Quads, hamstrings and calves. 5 minutes is all it takes and I perceive a real benefit. The more you use it, the more you perfect the technique to really dig into your muscles.

When time prevents, I'll also use it if I have soreness from hard workouts. It's one of the few tools I think really makes a difference.

fignon's barber
10-25-2019, 06:05 AM
I've got The Stick and a good foam roller. Personally, I think a good foam roller is way better, and use it 90% of the time.

madsciencenow
10-25-2019, 06:22 AM
I like the foam roller better for after running/riding and the stick for before. I’ve used both for years. I’ve had a couple of injuries where both devices have been incredibly helpful with rehab and alleviating pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benb
10-25-2019, 09:46 AM
I have the stick and multiple foam rollers as well.. I would agree in 90%+ of situations the foam roller is much better. For the big muscles of the quads, back, shoulders the foam roller is much more effective.

I'd say the stick is only better for calves & shins... whatever that muscle is on the front of the leg which activates on the upstroke of the pedal stroke.

The stick if braced against a table can be food for forearm extensors/flexors too and it can sometimes be good on hamstrings.

Usually the issue with the stick is you can't get enough leverage to get a lot of force with it. You're having to use tons of tired arm muscle to use it well enough... with the foam rollers you can use your body weight to get tons more force. But with the foam roller you can't seem to get that leverage on your calves since they're way out at the extremities.

Elefantino
10-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Have never tried before and during (!) but after the stick (mine's homemade) works well as a post-ride massage tool.

Louis
10-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Guys, thanks for the responses - this is helpful.

72gmc
10-25-2019, 06:21 PM
The stick is clutch for my IT bands and legs more generally.

Hurts but is a great way to work out the kinks.

Me too--legs only. My left IT band gets particularly tight, which I'm guessing is related to two knee surgeries, but adding the stick to my stretches makes a big positive difference. I use the stick twice a week when I'm good about it.

yarbsr02
10-25-2019, 08:36 PM
Great for quads, but tough to use in hamstrings. Roller seems much more useful for hamstrings.

Jcgill
10-26-2019, 10:09 PM
I've got The Stick and a good foam roller. Personally, I think a good foam roller is way better, and use it 90% of the time.

This times 1,000! The foam roller is amazing for any body part you can put over it and roll. I also have a stick, and that works best when someone else does it to you, if you are solo the foam roller is the best bet.

Octave
10-27-2019, 03:37 AM
+1 for a foam roller. I take the stick with me on trips - it's easy to pack, you can use it on a long train ride to stave off soreness and stiffness, but it doesnt hold a candle to a good session with a proper foam roller.

OtayBW
10-27-2019, 08:11 AM
I use the stick most often on the tailgate of my truck immediately after a ride. It has also become very popular with a lot of my friends who line up to use it (and the tailgate) when I'm done. Amazing how effective that sucker is, and how well you can target specific, minor muscle/tendon groups.