PDA

View Full Version : Supersix Front Derailleur Mount Loose

ghammer
10-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Hi There,

Currently own a Supersix that is set up w Etap. Bike is awesome and everything works. Early in the summer had an issue with the front derailleur going loose, no biggie, took to LBS and they adjusted it.

Today on my lunch ride, upon routine shifting (or JRA), the inside of the crankset was rubbing on the outside of the front derailleur cage. I rode in the little ring, no problem. When I came home to inspect, i noticed the front derailleur had a bit of play. I went to adjust it and it was already torqued properly, but they play was still there. I looked at it closely and the front derailleur hanger was loose. the front derailleur is *not* the culprit. Has anyone gone though this before?

Thanks,

Gus

elliott
10-24-2019, 12:46 PM
Drill out the riv nuts that attach the tab to the frame and replace them.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2019, 01:14 PM
Drill out the riv nuts that attach the tab to the frame and replace them.

Or use the tool and tighten them.

kramnnim
10-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Or use the tool and tighten them.

Aren't they pop rivets and not tighten-able?

elliott
10-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Aren't they pop rivets and not tighten-able?

Correct. Riv nut was the wrong term. Pop rivs cannot be tightened like a bottle cage riv nut can.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2019, 07:24 AM
Correct. Riv nut was the wrong term. Pop rivs cannot be tightened like a bottle cage riv nut can.

Ayup..if ya do drill them out and replace the rivets..be careful to not drop remnants inside the tube, if you cannot fish them out..

glepore
10-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Hi There,

Currently own a Supersix that is set up w Etap. Bike is awesome and everything works. Early in the summer had an issue with the front derailleur going loose, no biggie, took to LBS and they adjusted it.

Today on my lunch ride, upon routine shifting (or JRA), the inside of the crankset was rubbing on the outside of the front derailleur cage. I rode in the little ring, no problem. When I came home to inspect, i noticed the front derailleur had a bit of play. I went to adjust it and it was already torqued properly, but they play was still there. I looked at it closely and the front derailleur hanger was loose. the front derailleur is *not* the culprit. Has anyone gone though this before?

Thanks,

Gus

This is super common with supersix's ( is that pun?). Many times, it is the hanger itself. https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128735. In any event, yes, just drill out the rivets using the smallest drill that will remove them and reinstall. New hangers are available if yours is cracked.
Electronic fd's put a greater load on the hanger. Some folks are using epoxy in addition, but I don't know about that, if you ever need to replace just the hanger you're screwed.

kookmyers
10-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Some folks are using epoxy in addition, but I don't know about that, if you ever need to replace just the hanger you're screwed.

Or rather, you’re glued. :p