PDA

View Full Version : Wheel recommendation.. something different...

benb
10-23-2019, 10:08 AM
My All City Space horse is getting really close to needing new wheels.

I've been using the stock wheels on it for the last 6 years. They are wide rims with 32 spokes & tiagra hubs. Pretty much "all weather" use, lots of winter riding.

Basically the hubs are just about done. They're starting to have a noticeable amount of drag. If you take the wheel off the bike and turn the hub you can feel the bearings are shot.

Give it's $75 of hubs and the wheelset is probably like $200 or less I don't think repair/rebuild is worth it.

My thoughts:
- Rim brakes
- Needs to be relatively cheap
- Want to stick with at least 32h given offroad + occasional luggage
- Need to be able to handle pretty much any gravel type use, light singletrack
- Needs to be wide, the bike has rim brakes and the front fork brake mounts don't work with narrower rims
- Needs to resist corrosion, no mavic tyep stuff with their star nut alloy nipples that corrode away if they get salt on them
- While I don't want mavics pre-built wheels I would put a premium on something like their rims with better brake tracks.. that would help the braking on this bike quite a bit.

The Tiagra hubs look like they have steel parts where 105/Ultegra/DA have aluminum.. I am curious if just doing 105 hubs would be good or if I should be looking for something with cartridge bearings. Shimano is still mostly loose ball bearings right?

Ken Robb
10-23-2019, 11:13 AM
what rear hub width?

benb
10-23-2019, 11:25 AM
130mm.

jdp211
10-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Can't go wrong with a DT350s and DT 460 rim combo

ergott
10-23-2019, 11:58 AM
You already have durable, 32h hubs. See if you can get them serviced before anything else. I'm sure there are videos or other guides online if you want to try it yourself (you do need cone wrenches though). Then you're looking at a few dollars in bearings/grease and some of your time. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Otherwise DT 350 and Boyd 85 are great inexpensive hubs that are easy to service and come in higher hole counts.

DeBike
10-23-2019, 12:41 PM
chainreactioncycles.com is having a wheel sale. I looked at it this morning and some some really nice sets for under $200. One is a set of Fulcrum. I think 5s.

rowebr
10-23-2019, 01:01 PM
You already have durable, 32h hubs. See if you can get them serviced before anything else. I'm sure there are videos or other guides online if you want to try it yourself (you do need cone wrenches though). Then you're looking at a few dollars in bearings/grease and some of your time. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.

+1, those hubs should be serviceable and with some fresh grease and new ball bearings they might spin like new. If you've never done that job yourself, it is a low-risk DIY project to try. Not a big investment in parts or time, and there is nothing really expensive that you could potentially screw up.

benb
10-23-2019, 02:32 PM
OK good point wrenches are cheap.

More worried about what I was going to find corroded inside once I take it apart.

CMiller
10-23-2019, 03:09 PM
The complete is 10 speed right? I'd buy a used wheelset for sure, there are crazy good deals out there for hubs that aren't 11 speed compatible, and they are even better than putting a spacer on an 11 speed to make the 10 speed fit. Post a WTB in the classifieds. That's only if you want an upgrade. Functionally the tiagras are good like all Shimano hubs are, and I'd thoroughly clean and repack them with new bearings and grease.

Gummee
10-23-2019, 03:12 PM
I've got some 10sp Ultegra hubs I can let go cheap...

Just sayin

M

oldpotatoe
10-24-2019, 06:32 AM
I've got some 10sp Ultegra hubs I can let go cheap...

Just sayin

M

AND, the OP can send 'em to me and I can build a wheelset for him...yo!!

DT or Velocity rims...new spokeage..

BUT, as has been mentioned, I'd certainly take the hubs apart(you tube is yer friend) and see inside..They may just be way dirty..maybe a cone or 2, but those are easy to find..new bearing balls..lotsa grease..and viola..like havin' new wheels..

benb
10-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Yah I'm going to talk to the LBS about ordering some parts. I would probably prefer to do it myself. I haven't had good experiences locally with work like this.

I found the exploded parts diagram for the rear hub but haven't found the front one yet.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Yah I'm going to talk to the LBS about ordering some parts. I would probably prefer to do it myself. I haven't had good experiences locally with work like this.

I found the exploded parts diagram for the rear hub but haven't found the front one yet.

Depends on whether or not it's a 4400 series or 4500/4600.

Here

https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Component?name=Front%20Hub&type=ROAD

benb
10-26-2019, 04:54 PM
Shop quoted me $45 + said it could be additional if they replace the bearings.

They thought the hubs were doing a lot better than I thought they were.

For that money easy decision, and they said 3 days.. I no longer seem to have time to overhaul bikes. Both this bike + my nicer bike both need new chains, cassettes, and cables right now so I have my hands full if I do that work. An afternoon spent tearing a bike apart & putting it back together cramps the family's style.

AngryScientist
10-26-2019, 05:11 PM
a lot of us (myself included) spend a lot of money on boutique hubs, but it's really amazing how good shimano hubs, even the lower grade ones really are.

that's great that you are keeping them on the road and rolling longer.

also, i hear you on time.

i enjoy working and tinkering on stuff, but finding the time to do it these days is getting harder and harder.

sometimes, even if i'm worn out from a long day, it's enjoyable to just throw on some good music, pour a good scotch or glass of red and head to the basement to do some work on the bikes. zone the world out after the rest of the family has gone to bed.

bikinchris
10-26-2019, 05:49 PM
Shop quoted me $45 + said it could be additional if they replace the bearings.

They thought the hubs were doing a lot better than I thought they were.

For that money easy decision, and they said 3 days.. I no longer seem to have time to overhaul bikes. Both this bike + my nicer bike both need new chains, cassettes, and cables right now so I have my hands full if I do that work. An afternoon spent tearing a bike apart & putting it back together cramps the family's style.

If ANY shop overhauls a loose bearing hub and doesn't replace the bearings, they should be closed down and the owners and mechanics should be taken out back and beaten.

Gummee
10-26-2019, 05:58 PM
I bought a box of grade 100 (I was told Campy grade) 1/4" bearings WAY back when. I still have 3/4 or them!

Turns out if you keep your loose ball BBs and hubs lubed, you don't need to replace the bearings all that often.

M