PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Made to measure cycling kit - yea or nay?

KJMUNC
10-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Curious to hear from folks what their take is on made to measure cycling kit. Not custom designed kit in S/M/L/XL, but fully made to measure kit to your body measurements.

Assuming it's in the same ballpark as other high-end kit pricing (e.g, Rapha), same quality fabrics, and custom fit to your measured dimensions.....is there a market need?

Full disclosure: a buddy is looking to start a cycling/triathlon clothing line (I'm not financially involved whatsoever) with this as their primary focus. I won't disclose the details here as I'm not looking to pimp the brand, just curious to solicit feedback from a wide range of people in the cycling market, many of whom shell out for custom gear and/or high end kit.

I have my own opinion on the business model but would love to hear more from the collective here.

jtbadge
10-22-2019, 07:17 PM
Can it be done without the attitude of Brandt-Sorenson?

KJMUNC
10-22-2019, 07:24 PM
Can it be done without the attitude of Brandt-Sorenson?

Haha.....I should've thought about those guys. Yeah, I mean my buddy will take your money and treat you with attitude if that's your thing, but otherwise it's decidedly less dramatic. and you don't get a free KOM with every jersey.

htwoopup
10-22-2019, 07:32 PM
It is now all I use. I tried two well known American companies. I found those mediocre. One in Pittsburgh was actually awful for me. But at least they gave me a total refund when I complained. Sadly my experience for my taste was that the Americans made **** product and charged way too much (it would have been too much even if they made acceptable product). I have tried many overseas suppliers too and liked their quality but price value was off because the price was too high although the product was good. There is one company I like and now use their stuff exclusively. I LOVE Breathe Vélo in Australia. Pricy but totally worth it as their quality is through the roof at least to my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
10-22-2019, 07:32 PM
Not a need IMO.

Also; seems impossible to do this well and offer both the same quality as top end kit at the same price point.

Plan doomed to fail I’m afraid.

makoti
10-22-2019, 07:33 PM
If it's the same cost as other high end kit, even though I rarely have issues with sizing, yes I'd do that.
I can fit off the rack frames, but buy custom so why not.

makoti
10-22-2019, 07:37 PM
It is now all I use. I tried two well known American companies. I found those mediocre. One in Pittsburgh was actually awful for me. But at least they gave me a total refund when I complained. Sadly my experience for my taste was that the Americans made **** product and charged way too much (it would have been too much even if they made acceptable product). I have tried many overseas suppliers too and liked their quality but price value was off because the price was too high although the product was good. There is one company I like and now use their stuff exclusively. I LOVE Breathe Vélo in Australia. Pricy but totally worth it as their quality is through the roof at least to my taste.

Why didn't you post this two days ago? ;)
I was looking for wool warmers. These look nice. Price is decent, too.

hollowgram5
10-22-2019, 07:42 PM
Donkey Label started out this way about 8 years ago. They planned to have standard sizing, and a fit kit. Then if you needed a special cut, they'd accommodate.

I recall the idea getting scrapped due to the cost of logistics and the work to create custom sizes.

Best of luck to your friends, I hope they can make it work!

joosttx
10-22-2019, 07:49 PM
Buyer beware....

I bought a custom jersey from Love the Pain in LA on August 31st and have yet to receive it. I emailed them a couple of days ago and got blown off.....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944991867_435d7dfd5c_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944269668_4e4d741288_c.jpg

texbike
10-22-2019, 09:12 PM
This is something that I would definitely consider as most standard kit never seems to fit right for me.

In addition, I'm currently exploring a similar business model (for another genre of clothing) as custom fitting technologies have been improving at a rapid pace the last few years. The possibility of providing a high-quality, US made product that is custom fit to the wearer is exciting (to me at least).

Good luck to your buddy - I think it's a cool business model.

Texbike

Hellgate
10-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Buyer beware....

I bought a custom jersey from Love the Pain in LA on August 31st and have yet to receive it. I emailed them a couple of days ago and got blown off.....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944991867_435d7dfd5c_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48944269668_4e4d741288_c.jpgWow... Now that is some ugly ass ****.

donevwil
10-22-2019, 10:17 PM
I would also be a customer, just as with frames and shoes everything ends up custom. Don't know if there are enough other physical outliers to support this business model, but the few there are would certainly appreciate it. How many thousands of dollars have I spent on ill-fitting frames and "almost" shoes that would have been better spent on something custom, even with an occasional custom trial and error oops.

Out for a ride tommorow morn wearing my Rapha bibs that fit perfectly where critical, but leave wealts on my shoulders after 3 hrs.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

Wookski
10-23-2019, 05:23 AM
A terrible concept. Think about MTM suits and shirts, they’re never perfect the first time and usually by the 2nd or third round the fit is nailed. I can’t see how this model would work viably? Even Brandt-Sorensen by his own admission does very low volumes.

weiwentg
10-23-2019, 06:36 AM
Buyer beware....

You're getting close to 8 weeks on that order. The thing is, their own FAQ (https://www.lovethepain.com/pages/info-center) says that they don't hold stock, and everything is made to order. This is what they said about lead times:

What are the lead times like?
Lead times are subject to change at anytime. Products tend to ship between 1-12 weeks but longer lead times have occurred during peak season and are not a reason for cancellation.

They said that in two places in the FAQ, and in a customer notice on the front page. So, you are still within their usual delivery time frame. They did say to contact them if you get over 12 weeks. I assume you could dispute the charge with your credit card company, especially if it goes well over 12 weeks, but I would probably think twice about this given their warnings to purchasers.

Looking at their prices and considering what sort of wear athletic clothes are subject to, I'm not quite sold on full custom. I voted no on the poll because right now, off the rack stuff appears to fit me well enough. It does vary by company. A lot of jerseys in my size are a bit too narrow in the shoulders, and some bibs tend to be too long. I know custom would be a better fit, but I am not currently willing to pay the premium for stuff if I don't know how long it will last. For a bike frame, the calculus is different because they can last a very long time - my custom roadie is now 12 years old. Or maybe my math is wrong? I guess part of the question is how long can we expect good custom bibs and jerseys to last?

oldpotatoe
10-23-2019, 06:38 AM

Breathe Velo isn't a true custom, is it? You still pick a size based on chest dimensions or something similar in your closet..It's not like a custom suit, made specifically for you, one item at a time..or am I missing something?
There are places that make a custom, one at a time, jersey using measurements from an individual?

I never knew..after almost 40 years in this daffy biz, I never heard of such a thing..:eek:

htwoopup
10-23-2019, 07:30 AM
Breathe Velo isn't a true custom, is it? You still pick a size based on chest dimensions or something similar in your closet..It's not like a custom suit, made specifically for you, one item at a time..or am I missing something?

There are places that make a custom, one at a time, jersey using measurements from an individual?

I never knew..after almost 40 years in this daffy biz, I never heard of such a thing..:eek:

In the simplest fashion yes.

But, I have them make me stuff starting with their basic size that is close but then adjust some dimensions to fit my odd body dimensions and preferences (for instance I like bibs/shorts shorter, things tighter in areas and looser in areas than common). It takes longer for them to make it and they charge an up charge but I have been very happy with their work. And their quality is really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pdonk
10-23-2019, 08:05 AM
As a person with a long torso and monkey arms, I would definitely consider it.

In terms of how well it would work, I have been very curious lately about the business models of Donkey Label and Eliel and how they source materials and tech and done some reading and sourcing research.

With the ability to custom print graphics, by the piece the idea of being able to make pieces made to measure and adjust standard patterns by a dimension or two is relatively easy. Unlike a suit, which has fabrics and construction techniques that don't have much give, spandex / lycra based materials are a bit more forgiving in terms of measuring errors and getting a good fit. I am sure it may take a try or two to get the perfect fit, but the clothing won't be a total waste or crap.

My experience with custom suits is that the first took a few fittings to get right, but now my tailor knows what has to be done before I come in for the final fitting so the suit is pretty much 95% percent there. It is that last 5% that makes the biggest difference though.

David Kirk
10-23-2019, 09:38 AM
At 6'4" and 180ish pounds I found it impossible to find stock sizing bib shorts that fit as they should. I then took a chance and bought a custom pair of Boure made-to-measure bibs. I liked the first pair so much I bought a second....and a third.

So yes....I'd happily buy custom fit clothing.

dave

KJMUNC
10-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback.....more or less what I'd expect, as the M2M stuff isn't for everyone. The final fitting is the biggest question mark in my mind, especially since it's all being done remote (shipping back and forth). If it was in person it's much easier to do. But I also see how once you get the fit dialed it would be a great option to have....just choose your fabric and/or colors and have it sent do you without worrying about fit.

His company is raising funds via Kickstarter for the first pattern loads (apparently around $10k) and focusing on the Tri-crowd initially.

Will pass along more info here for those interested if/when they pivot over and are ready with cycling kit. I'm going to try and get a sample and will report back as well.

makoti
10-24-2019, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback.....more or less what I'd expect, as the M2M stuff isn't for everyone. The final fitting is the biggest question mark in my mind, especially since it's all being done remote (shipping back and forth). If it was in person it's much easier to do. But I also see how once you get the fit dialed it would be a great option to have....just choose your fabric and/or colors and have it sent do you without worrying about fit.

His company is raising funds via Kickstarter for the first pattern loads (apparently around $10k) and focusing on the Tri-crowd initially.

Will pass along more info here for those interested if/when they pivot over and are ready with cycling kit. I'm going to try and get a sample and will report back as well.

Link to the KS?

KJMUNC
10-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Link to the KS?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1600982190/real-made-to-measure-triathlon-cycling-running-apparel/description?lang=fr