PDA

View Full Version : Brooks B-17 Imperial

Sboat
10-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Looking at the Brooks B-17 imperial saddle, the one with the cut out, any thoughts on comfort?

p nut
10-22-2019, 01:40 PM
It probably depends on your anatomy. I liked the original B17, but after 20 miles, I started getting discomfort in the nether regions. So I switched to the Imperial version and haven't had issues since.

Same with road saddle. I can't do without a cutout. SMP Glider is my go-to.

donevwil
10-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Do you have experience with a std. B.17? Regardless they are both great saddles, but are best suited for short bar drop, more upright applications than a typical road saddle. I would never put one on my road race bike for example.

Comfort is very similar to a std B.17. I commute in street clothes so the slot was necessitated by pants with a seam down the middle. Prior I had been using the std. and cycling shorts, but the move to pants was a "region" killer. I'm 225# and the laces are a great help keeping the shape and rigidity I want it.

john903
10-22-2019, 01:48 PM
I have several Brooks B17, Pro, Swift and B17 imperial. I have liked all of them and I prefer the cut out because I tend to roll my hips forward and the cut out relieves pressure. The pro I chopped modded and did my own cut out and it came out pretty good. That being said I guess my body has changed over the years. Now most Brooks feel to wide and cut into my inner thighs so I have switched to a old Fizik Alainte. So yes they are good saddles comfortable from the get go. When you install it take a allen wrench with you for several rides and tilt the nose up a tad until you find the perfect position.

Ken Robb
10-22-2019, 02:40 PM
I tired a few saddles with cut-outs and had the problem of my genitals dropping into the slot just a little but when I tried to slide around on the saddle even a little was TOO MUCH and this was when I was wearing shorts with a chamois.

I have been comfy for a long time on B-17, Arione and a WTB brand saddle of some kind.