PDA

View Full Version : best silicon valley gravel / route planning for 100 miler

danesgod
10-21-2019, 03:00 PM
I'm trying to piece together a birthday ride for next weekend and was hoping for some help: I want to hit 100 miles, I'd like to incorporate a new gravel climb (or two), and I prefer to descend road. I basically live in Mountain view near enough to 85/82. I'll be riding a gravel-y touring bike, no front suspension, so I don't want to wander into something miserable, mellow ups and downs but I can deal with some steeps. I'd prefer to keep it under 10k elevantion, this is a stretch ride, the closer I get to 10k the less likely I am to finish. I haven't done a century in a few years (a couple close calls), my last was Mt Tam 104 miles / 6500 ft.

Anyone got long gravel climbs to suggest? I know Butano Fire Road has been mentioned, and I haven't done that. I don't know the preferred way to get into/out of it. I'm sitting at about 90miles/10k ft if I do:
Mountain View->King's Mountain(gotta check legality of ascending Huddart Park)->Descend Purissima dirt and somehow get to Lobitos->Pescadero->Gazos Creek Rd->Butano Fire Rd->Descend Page Mill
Something like that sounds good, but I'd probably be happier if I was sitting at 8k ft elevation and 100 miles, rather than >10k. I also don't really want to add 5 miles doing loops around mountain view...

I've already ridden Mt Umunhum->Loma Prieta->Watsonville. I've also done Aptos->Demo (added Flow/Braille to that for my birthday last year, actually, mtb for this one).

Slight preference for Santa Cruz Mtns over East Bay.

Thoughts? Or even, what are your favorite bay area (peninsula) gravel roads?

Cheers!
Dane

prototoast
10-21-2019, 04:35 PM
If you haven't read Ray Hosler's book about riding with Jobst Brandt, get it and it will give you dozens of ideas.

I don't have complete routes for you, but for partial suggestions, you could try working in up dirt Alpine, then down camp pomponio to old haul and then over to gazos Creek. Or you could go up dirt Alpine and down Stevens Canyon, then up through Sanborn to Castle Rock. Then it's just a few miles down the road to Big Basin where you can pick up Butano or Gazos.

Hindmost
10-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Pretty sure Huddart Park is a no-go. (I probably should say the pavement is fine; off road is a no-go.)

danesgod
10-21-2019, 04:56 PM
If you haven't read Ray Hosler's book about riding with Jobst Brandt, get it and it will give you dozens of ideas.

Oh yea, this looks great. any idea if it translates well to the kindle, or if i need to shell out $30 to get a hard copy? I have to imagine if its got pictures and maps I'd rather have a real copy, seems like something I'd refer back to too.

Pretty sure Huddart Park is a no-go.

You're probably right, I need to sit down with my NatGeo maps this week and see what I can come up with.

danesgod
10-21-2019, 05:02 PM
dirt Alpine, then down camp pomponio to old haul and then over to gazos Creek

that's an 80 miler and really maximizes gravel in a lot of ways... might work off that

I'd rather not descend Steven's Canyon again, I've done it a few times since its local, more fun with a little suspension too.

prototoast
10-21-2019, 05:23 PM
Oh yea, this looks great. any idea if it translates well to the kindle, or if i need to shell out $30 to get a hard copy? I have to imagine if its got pictures and maps I'd rather have a real copy, seems like something I'd refer back to too.

I have the Kindle version and am happy with it, though I am sure if you bought a physical copy, you would consider it money well spent.

dem
10-21-2019, 05:23 PM
I vote some combination of portola redwoods/pescadero/gazos too.

Tough to do less than 10K ascent in 100 miles though.

If you're not averse to getting "lost" - there's a few poachy routes that I've never seen a soul on.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30456999 - is one I've done.

(mile 17ish not bike legal, nor mile 62.)

prototoast
10-21-2019, 05:42 PM
that's an 80 miler and really maximizes gravel in a lot of ways... might work off that

I'd rather not descend Steven's Canyon again, I've done it a few times since its local, more fun with a little suspension too.

If you wanted to go really big, once you got to Big Basin, you could drop down and head over to Aptos Creek. If you put all that together, you'd have yourself one monster day in the saddle.

danesgod
10-21-2019, 07:07 PM
How is Butano Fire Road vs Old Haul vs Pomponio in terms of fun+scenery?

Big day (probably all legal?): https://goo.gl/maps/kfSzbYfdezJ8Nc566

I don't mind "getting lost" on occasion, usually stop short of jumping fences.

Holy ****, I've ridden Aptos Creek, if I ended up linking that into Big Basin I think I'd be closer to 130+, that's a bit much, heh. I'll play with that route too. I have some friends that live down there I should contact...

jtakeda
10-21-2019, 07:58 PM

Holy ****, I've ridden Aptos Creek, if I ended up linking that into Big Basin I think I'd be closer to 130+, that's a bit much, heh. I'll play with that route too. I have some friends that live down there I should contact...

Im pretty clueless when it comes to south bay routes and that route looks like its going to be super fun but just FYI the link you posted shows your home address. Not that I'm going to do anything but there are unscrupulous people on the internet, just ask that one guy in SF on the forum who thinks another forum member stole his bike lol.

PS: did you do Mt. Um on gravel or road? I've only done the gravel route and it was a doozie.

prototoast
10-21-2019, 08:03 PM

Let's save this one for next summer when the days are longer: https://www.strava.com/routes/22330103

dem
10-21-2019, 08:38 PM

If you want to skip King's, you could also do Windy Hill dirt up to Skyline, then ride that north.

Old Haul doesn't go through to 236. Big gates and angry logging companies. :) You can poach Butano Easement to Butano Ridge trail to get there though. They were doing work on Easement a few months ago, but I haven't been over recently.

You can also hop off Alpine and do Ancient Oaks if you want to mix up some dirt/pavement on the climb up.

Here's a modified suggestion: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31347145

415km
10-21-2019, 09:55 PM
I poached that section of Old Haul once. I went the opposite way you have routed, there was a 10 ft tall gate smack in the middle of a bridge at the end. We were on loaded bikes and managed to make it over but I was physically confronted by a logger a few minutes later (he jumped out of his truck and grabbed my bars) and he was very close to starting a fight. I would not recommend it at all.

415km
10-21-2019, 10:01 PM
PS, John Nicholas trail in Sanborn is a great way up and can be connected to big basin via Bear Creek

danesgod
10-21-2019, 10:47 PM
Im pretty clueless when it comes to south bay routes and that route looks like its going to be super fun but just FYI the link you posted shows your home address. Not that I'm going to do anything but there are unscrupulous people on the internet, just ask that one guy in SF on the forum who thinks another forum member stole his bike lol.

PS: did you do Mt. Um on gravel or road? I've only done the gravel route and it was a doozie.

Jokes on the dude that lives at312 Camille! I was actually trying to drag it to an arbitrary intersection near that Jack in the Box, accidentally came to that address, so hey, internet lurkers, that's not me!

I did Mt. Um up on road: Hicks->Mt Um Rd->(sneaky sneaky)->Loma Prieta Road, then descended gravel down the back: Loma Prieta->Summit. FABULOUS ROUTE. The end of that ride from Watsonville->Monterey was ****ty by comparison.

[I am looking carefully at everyone's suggestions.]

My NatGeo map "suggests" that Butano Fire Road is impassible between Butano State Park and Big Basin, no one has ever mentioned this...?

prototoast
10-21-2019, 10:59 PM
My NatGeo map "suggests" that Butano Fire Road is impassible between Butano State Park and Big Basin, no one has ever mentioned this...?

Oh, I thought you knew. There's a stretch between Butano State Park and Boy Scout Camp that is private property (though I believe it's in the process of being incorporated into the park and will be open officially to cyclists in the not-too-distant future). There is an easement for official vehicles, but technically bikes aren't allowed. It's poached semi-regularly, and not as sketchy as trying to poach old haul rd, but as of right now, it's not officially okay to bike there.

danesgod
10-22-2019, 01:18 PM
Oh, I thought you knew. There's a stretch between Butano State Park and Boy Scout Camp that is private property (though I believe it's in the process of being incorporated into the park and will be open officially to cyclists in the not-too-distant future). There is an easement for official vehicles, but technically bikes aren't allowed. It's poached semi-regularly, and not as sketchy as trying to poach old haul rd, but as of right now, it's not officially okay to bike there.

Thanks for the information!

Current route is looking kind of like: https://goo.gl/maps/sz65gkKYtPi3As8v7

I'm still tweaking the route trying to optimize.

It removes some of the gravel, but also brings it closer to something I might finish without limping into the driveway.

The other option I'm considering, though very different, is another mega-MTB day. maybe 50 on the FS mtb... Kind of depends if I can recruit any friends to do parts of the road ride.

dem
10-22-2019, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the information!

Current route is looking kind of like: https://goo.gl/maps/sz65gkKYtPi3As8v7

I'm still tweaking the route trying to optimize.

It removes some of the gravel, but also brings it closer to something I might finish without limping into the driveway.

The other option I'm considering, though very different, is another mega-MTB day. maybe 50 on the FS mtb... Kind of depends if I can recruit any friends to do parts of the road ride.

Route looks great! I'd ride it with you if it is on a Sunday (Saturday is Low Key Hill Climbs til Thanksgiving) For a mega-MTB and if the weather holds, you could hit Henry Coe and see how far you get before dying.. admittedly I just ride it on my gravel bike.

pdmtong
10-22-2019, 02:55 PM
... ignore - I was going the wrong way.

Hindmost
10-22-2019, 03:59 PM
I would recommend refueling in BB Park and then riding the north exit out of the park. You lose mileage but you gain riding quality and scenery. If you need more miles consider Skyline to Bear Creek/Los Gatos.

prototoast
10-22-2019, 04:04 PM
I would recommend refueling in BB Park and then riding the north exit out of the park. You lose mileage but you gain riding quality and scenery. If you need more miles consider Skyline to Bear Creek/Los Gatos.

Yeah, that's an obvious move. If he cut out that unnecessary step going to boulder creek, he could add in Purissima on the other end and get more dirt and a much better ride overall.

jtakeda
10-22-2019, 04:06 PM
Jokes on the dude that lives at312 Camille! I was actually trying to drag it to an arbitrary intersection near that Jack in the Box, accidentally came to that address, so hey, internet lurkers, that's not me!

I did Mt. Um up on road: Hicks->Mt Um Rd->(sneaky sneaky)->Loma Prieta Road, then descended gravel down the back: Loma Prieta->Summit. FABULOUS ROUTE. The end of that ride from Watsonville->Monterey was ****ty by comparison.

[I am looking carefully at everyone's suggestions.]

Haha. Well when you start your ride knock on the door and tell that guy I’m gonna copy your route once I find some time to do an all day ride in the South Bay

cgolvin
10-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Please feel free to ignore this, as nearly all my riding in the area is road, not gravel…

But personally I would gladly trade off a few miles and choose to ride on 246 through the gorgeous section of Big Basin instead of slogging up Highway 9. I rode it in the reverse direction from the 9/35 intersection through Big Basin and into Boulder Creek last month and was reminded what a beautiful and fun section that is. Just my $0.02.

danesgod
10-22-2019, 04:46 PM
Good points! I've climbed out of big basin before and it is indeed gorgeous. Hearing people saying 9 isn't worth doing will make me re-route that section for sure.

I've already done MV->Los Gatos->Bear Creek->Big Basin->Saratoga Gap

However, your point is noted ;)

dem
10-22-2019, 05:23 PM
If you don't mind a little poachery, you can do the dirt fire road next to Hwy 9 on the way up - Saratoga Toll Rd.

danesgod
10-24-2019, 11:10 AM
PS, John Nicholas trail in Sanborn is a great way up and can be connected to big basin via Bear Creek

from Saratoga, do you mean:

Hwy 9->Sandborn Rd->John Nicolas Trail (switchbacks West)->35?
-or-
Hwy 9->Sandborn Rd->John Nicolas Trail (southeast)->Black Rd?
-or-
Something else?

In case anyone is following along, I'm now considering saving Butano for another ride, and trying to ride ~70 miles with friends (they aren't down for 100). So I'd do a Alpine dirt-Page loop alone early in the morning, then meet back up with friends and do the Big Basin ride (a ride they were itching to do anyway): https://goo.gl/maps/E7TGWA8VVF8jydyp8

Keeps the elevation under 10k. Only downside is that the only "new" riding for me is 9->35 via John Nicholas. The benefit of less new stuff means I'm more likely to have good pacing and finish/finish well. The downside is its not as adventurous...

Still plotting.

Hindmost
10-24-2019, 11:36 AM
(I hope you don't mind more suggestions.)

Instead of lower highway 9 consider: 236, China Grade, 236 to/or from Boulder Creek.