PDA

View Full Version : Shimano CX75 hubs - new end caps?

gngroup
10-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Is it possible to convert these from quick release to thru axle? I found a few older articles stating that it was not but I thought I'd throw it out there as maybe someone had figured out a way.

hollowgram5
10-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Is it possible to convert these from quick release to thru axle? I found a few older articles stating that it was not but figured maybe someone had figured out a way.If it's possible, is assume you'd need to use the new RS hub guts.. can't recall the models but there's the RS770, 505, and at least one other.

As far as I understand from the exploded views, you'd have to replace the entire axle assembly and associated comes and nuts, but I could be wrong.

Shimano had some thru axle versions out there for pro cross racers before Dura Ace disc wheels happened, and they pop up on eBay from time to time..

gngroup
10-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Thanks! That sounds like a fair amount of trouble for what it's worth. Looks like I might be in the market for some new hubs to make this wheelset work for me.

If it's possible, is assume you'd need to use the new RS hub guts.. can't recall the models but there's the RS770, 505, and at least one other.

As far as I understand from the exploded views, you'd have to replace the entire axle assembly and associated comes and nuts, but I could be wrong.

Shimano had some thru axle versions out there for pro cross racers before Dura Ace disc wheels happened, and they pop up on eBay from time to time..

tuscanyswe
10-22-2019, 12:38 PM
It is not possible to get a TA for those hubs. At least it was not a couple of years ago when i had a pair.

gngroup
10-22-2019, 12:51 PM
It is not possible to get a TA for those hubs. At least it was not a couple of years ago when i had a pair.

That was my fear. Oh well, I got a great deal on a pro-team issue set of Shimano CX tubular rims laced to these hubs. Perhaps I'll build my first set of wheels . . .