PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Problems, advice?

gt6267a
12-26-2006, 03:07 PM
I have a pair of Carnac Campus mtn bike shoes. They actually fit my feet which is a freakin’ miracle. They are only two years old and other than one problem appear to have a lot of life left, so I really would like them to hang around a while. Here is the problem:

They use Velcro to close the shoe. The Velcro straps connect to a plastic piece. This plastic piece is stitched to the mesh of the shoe. This stitching has come out on one of my shoes. Now, it is not possible to close the shoe snugly.

The problem is how to reattach the plastic part to the shoe. So far, I have tried:
1) Talking to my shoe guy. He stitches through leather all day, why not plastic? Well, according to shoe guy #1, the plastic is tougher than his needles (can’t believe he admitted that) and he won’t even try.
2) I took the shoes to shoe guy #2 (I am all about re-soling and repairing shoes. No reason to drop them in the dumpster just because of a little wear.) He would not sow them either. Instead, he glued. The glue stuck for a little while but ultimately came undone leaving me on trail with plastic flap smacking my crank and a very loose shoe. That did not sound good.
3) I glued the shoes with an excessive about of super glue but it came undone.

Things I am thinking of trying:
A) Getting someone from Ochsner (carnac’s us importer) on the phone and begging for shoe repair. The shoes are only two years old, but that is outside the warranty period.
B) Moving onto bigger and badder glues, I am thinking epoxy.

Anyone else have a similar problem? What did you do about it?

Ginger
12-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Do you have any saddle repair places in your area? They would have serious enough equipment to deal with it...

Or pick yourself up an awl and stitch it yourself. Work on a table. Don't stab yourself. It was sewn before, if nothing else you can use the old stitch holes that already exist.

Or get yourself a velcro strap that wraps all the way around the shoe? (poor idea, but it's an idea...it would cut the circulation off I suppose...)

http://www.enasco.com/prod/images/products/FC/VC128074.jpg

http://www.enasco.com/prod/images/products/FC/VC128074.jpg

Another idea is to remove your current plastic strap, pick up some heavy duty vecro and sew it into the correct configuration...

gt6267a
12-26-2006, 06:38 PM
interesting. i have never actually sewn anything myself. a saddle repair place is a very good idea. i will pursue that in the morning. thanks, keith

Kevan
12-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Thru-bolting, using locknuts and washers. May look like hell and feel the same...but it never fails. Thanks Pops!

Appeal to the manufacturer. Go to the source.

Steelhead
12-26-2006, 08:42 PM
What does the shop you bought them from say? They should be able to help.