PDA

View Full Version : apps other than starva for phone-cycling computer

zmalwo
10-20-2019, 11:55 PM
So up until now, I used my phone as an advanced cycling computer. Since Starva will no longer support sensors after the 28th, what other alternatives do I have? I would still love to upload everything to starva because their segment challenge is quite interesting. I need an app that will record my power, cadence, Hr, distance, speed, etc just like starva did. any suggestions?

nublar
10-21-2019, 12:10 AM
Garmin Edge 530 supports all that along with strava live segments

Louis
10-21-2019, 01:30 AM
Since Starva will no longer support sensors after the 28th, what other alternatives do I have?

Is that what the Cat 5's use? ;)

Hellgate
10-21-2019, 02:31 AM
Polar app.

corky
10-21-2019, 03:06 AM
Starva.....Freudian slip?

rnhood
10-21-2019, 05:43 AM
As already mentioned, just get a Garmin unit. It's so effortless, auto uploads to Strava, great battery life and no complicated adapters or interface apps needed. Don't make life complicated, enjoy your riding.

bpiecuch
10-21-2019, 07:42 AM
I'll second this question. I already have a Garmin 500, but it requires a cable and a computer to upload, which is not convenient at all. I'm not about to shell out hundreds of dollars to replace a free app that effectively does the same thing as the Garmin.

I downloaded the Polar app, but my understanding is that it only works with certain Polar products. (My old, plastic HRM and Stages PM are not compatible.)

I looked into the Wahoo Fitness tracker and I think that may work. But, I haven't had time to actually try syncing with all my equipment.

What other apps are people using that can pair with generic sensors, use GPS tracking, and upload directly to Strava? I'm not willing to invest in new electronics/sensors/tech to get locked into another "product universe."

unterhausen
10-21-2019, 08:08 AM
I have seen people that say the Wahoo fitness app works.
Also, the ride with gps app, but that's not free.

It's interesting that other apps can do this an starva can't

pdonk
10-21-2019, 08:08 AM
I have had good luck with a leyzne with a heart rate monitor.

It will synch to strava, plus has its own easy to use app.

fkelly
10-21-2019, 08:43 AM
Ride with GPS has apps for both Android and IOS. Will connect with most Bluetooth sensors. If you want, you can download maps (routes) and get turn by turn instructions on phone. The apps will upload your rides to rwgps where you can see your statistics. Speed, elevation, power (if you have a power monitor) distance etc.) This year versus last year versus ... Good map creation capabilities on the web site. On the app too though I don't use that part. Plenty of segments (Strava equivalent KOM's) without as many wannabees trying to top each other on them.

FlashUNC
10-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Ridewith GPS or Wahoo.

bpiecuch
10-23-2019, 11:18 AM
I took your suggestions and used the Wahoo Fitness App. Sync'd beautifully with my 20 year old polar HRM and my Stages PM. No drops, hiccups, or problems. It also auto-uploads to Strava. Pretty slick.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

cgolvin
10-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Seems you've solved your problem so this may be superfluous, but prior to committing to an actual cycling computer I used to use the iOS app 'Cyclemeter'. It worked really well, connected with all of the sensors that I used (Wahoo HR, Speed & Cadence, and the RFLKT display). I believe I paid for the premium version in order to get the RFLKT but I don't recall if it is a paid or free app. Even if paid it was well worth it. Great customer support too (I'd say the same of Wahoo).